Look For ND To Join The Big 10 …

GoldenIsle

Flats Noob
They will continually get left out unless the playoffs are expanded to 8 or even 12. I don’t think the ACC can financially match the Big 10 … ask Maryland.

They will continually get left out unless the playoffs are expanded to 8 or even 12. I don’t think the ACC can financially match the Big 10 … ask Maryland.
But what does ND care more about? Money? (I think they have plenty), or an easy path to the playoffs?

My understanding is that as a condition of them playing non-football sports in the ACC, that they can only join the ACC for some period of time. So they couldn’t join the Big 10 for another decade or so… not sure if there’s some penalty they could pay in order to do it sooner.

Notre Dame is never joining the Big Ten. Geographically it makes sense but that’s about it. Their fanbase, outside of Indiana, is largely on the East Coast. They would lose playing games in the South. They would be competing directly against large public schools with far more money. They would have a much harder route to the playoffs.

If they ever join a conference, it will be the ACC.

As previously noted their current agreement prohibits that.

Doesn't matter. Playoffs are going to be expanded. If not next year than the year after.

Also, "continually" left out? They've been in the playoffs multiple times under the current format.

1) It's the Big Ten, not the Big 10. Because they actually have 14.

2) Right now, ND would lose money moving to the Big 14 as they currently keep all that sweet, sweet, NBC ca$h for themselves.

3) Playoffs will be expanded. Not if - just when and how. At that point, ND has a MUCH better shot to make it by NOT being in any conference.

4) Check this out. RIDICULOUSLY, the College Football Playoff Management Committee consists of one representative from each of ten BCS conferences . . . and Notre Dame's AD all by himself (!). Notre Dame all by its lonesome is put on an equal footing with the entire ACC, the entire SEC, the entire Big 14 . . . . They ALREADY have an outsized presence and influence in college football. They lose all of that by becoming just another Big 14 conference member like tOSU, Michigan, and . . . Rutgers.

Nope. I do not see this happening.

Then we should boot the non-football sports from the ACC. No point to them being there. That always puzzled me why we would allow that.
At the time getting 6 or whatever guaranteed games for ACC v ND per year was a good thing. It guarantees exposure for ACC schools and some of those are broadcast on the ACC carriage networks.

ND in our conference for non football is good on balance. The football arrangement is better than nothing. Them as a full member is the best outcome and we may get there.

I am also one who hated swofford and his shady Tobacco Road protectionism.

Anything changed here yet?

2) Right now, ND would lose money moving to the Big 14 as they currently keep all that sweet, sweet, NBC ca$h for themselves.

3) Playoffs will be expanded. Not if - just when and how. At that point, ND has a MUCH better shot to make it by NOT being in any conference.

4) Check this out. RIDICULOUSLY, the College Football Playoff Management Committee consists of one representative from each of ten BCS conferences . . . and Notre Dame's AD all by himself (!). Notre Dame all by its lonesome is put on an equal footing with the entire ACC, the entire SEC, the entire Big 14 . . . . They ALREADY have an outsized presence and influence in college football. They lose all of that by becoming just another Big 14 conference member like tOSU, Michigan, and . . . Rutgers.

WRONG. ND’s NBC deal is garbage. They aren’t getting rich off that deal like they were 20 years ago.

The acc is a joke for getting played by ND that way. I wish GT would leave and join another conference

WRONG. ND’s NBC deal is garbage. They aren’t getting rich off that deal like they were 20 years ago.
I stand corrected on that. I was wrong; you're right. They have a garbage TV deal now with NBC. Seems to me they should have been able to get a lot more. Especially with NBC moving games behind their Peacock Network paywall. I gotta imagine that will get fixed when they renegotiate in a couple of years.

I still say NO WAY they are joining the Big 14 anytime soon.

ND earns about half of a Big 10 school.

$22M vs $50M

1638832872940.png

Back