Looks like 'Ole Buck' can recruit after all--

Herr Goldshields

Varsity Lurker
Looks like \'Ole Buck\' can recruit after all--

even if we miss out on some of these guys who haven't made a decision yet, just reading the comments recruits have made shows me that Gailey has done a better job of selling Atlanta to players than the former staff. It even seems like we're selling the schools academics as well, even though that seemed to be more of O'Leary's focal point. Stealing Yates-Cunningham away from Groh, who has looked like a Master Recruiter so far, would be a real coup, if it happened. And all of this with it now fairly apparent, that the '950 SAT' standard is not a myth with the admissions department, due to certain recruits who have had visits cancelled.

Re: Looks like \'Ole Buck\' can recruit after all--

Originally posted by Technician:
even if we miss out on some of these guys who haven't made a decision yet, just reading the comments recruits have made shows me that Gailey has done a better job of selling Atlanta to players than the former staff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How can you say that?? I am pleased with what Gailey has done so far this year after mailing it in last year, but how can you make a statement like that when O'Leary's staff recruited the players that gave us the best five year run since Dodd retired (including a Heisman runner up). Let's stay excited, but keep the comments realistic.

Re: Looks like \'Ole Buck\' can recruit after all--

I think you might have misunderstood me. I said, " . . . selling Atlanta." I meant that literally. The comments I've heard this year about enjoying the city, and positive reviews by 'country boys' from rural areas seem to be better than the recruits under O'Leary made. I'm just talking recruiting here, not coaching. I've followed recruiting for a few years now through the websites, and it seems that almost always, when positive comments were made by O'Leary recruits, they involved statements about academics. Quite a few recruits gave lukewarm reviews to the campus or Atlanta. I think O'Leary was really afraid to show off Atlanta to recruits because he was such a disciplinarian. Gailey seems to be doing a better job at showing the kids a good time while there are still many good comments about academics.

Back