Losing to Duke, Will This Go Down....

Father WASP

Flats Noob
As the worst, or do the following represent our lowest day....

(A) Georgia, 51-7

(B) Fresno, Silicon Joke Bowl

(c) Furman, at home under Bill Curry

(d) Clemson. Nah, scratch Clemson. 41 Points to Duke, breaking the drought, little weasels running around with goalposts with new Tech jokes, two weeks off with bowl games on the line. This at least makes the top list.

And by the way, what's worse, losing to a powerful team like Oklahoma, who calls off the dogs at 77-0 in the third, or losing to Duke, basically a joke playing before less people than Parkwood HS? Just wondering.

FW, I started asking myself this one minutes after RB's return for touchdown interception.

My take A: 51-7. Just because.
B: 41-17 Because this years team could have made itself the one that fans years from now could have talked about. Their legacy would have been "This was the group that got things turned around for your grandfather's alma mater. How they were faced with unbelievable odds after 10 of their players became ineligible, they never,ever quit. And to think they did all that with a freshman only 8 years older than you, grandson. So, if you want to fulfill your dream of playing for the national champion Yellow Jackets, I suggest that you go upstairs and finish your home work. After you finish, then we'll play catch"

soapbox.gif

Sorry for the soup, but that's how I feel.
We can still be that team, but we need to take the final 3. None of them will be easy, but it can be done if every player and coach wants them bad enough.

Not even close, it's A and always will be because of the slum area in which it happened.

The Duke debacle is perhaps more meaningful in that: unlike ugag'02, we don't have a ton of injuries, we were playing a less instead of more talented team, we have a clearly more talented QB in place, freshman or not, it's no longer our HC's first year, it was Ted's 3rd game as interim HC, we had tons of prep time(the excuse gang's efforts at claiming this as a disadvantage are laughable), and then the obvious in that it was the last century when Duke last won an ACC game.

IMO, we have ONE meaningful goal left this season that could change things for the future a great deal, and it's NOT a bowl game(we really didn't go to one last year in more ways than one). It would heal a lot of wounds, help recruiting, and provide a lot of momentum for '04....Nov. 29th. THWG

the 01 md loss is still the worst. When you saw fridge singing his fight song on OUR field.

Also the Clemson loss that year AT HOME was pathetic

Last year's UGA game was the worst. It was over before the end of the first quarter and everybody knew it. I can only think of one other UGA game that I've seen where we didn't play tough (I am too young to remember much of anything before 1985), and Bill Lewis had already been fired so you felt that new positive changes would occur.

Last year was so bad that my UGA buddies didn't even bother to give me grief. One of them told me I didn't have to pay off the bet because I'd suffered enough already.

None of these losses bother me that bad. I realize the losses last year came from morale problems, no experienced quarterback, and a loss of good athletes to injury during the 2002 season.

The worst loss to me this year was the BYU loss. that is the one game I think we had the much better team and much better athletes.

I already knew we were going to be in a battle at Duke, and had posted I would be satisfied with a one point win if we could get it.

The one loss at GT that upset me the most in all of my years of Tech football was a loss to Duke 20-21 under Bobby Dodd. We had completely dominated Duke in every aspect of the game and went into halftime with a 20-0 lead.

After halftime, Duke completely dominated and beat us 21-20. Worst loss for me in the history of Tech football.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
None of these losses bother me that bad. I realize the losses last year came from morale problems, no experienced quarterback, and a loss of good athletes to injury during the 2002 season.

The worst loss to me this year was the BYU loss. that is the one game I think we had the much better team and much better athletes.

I already knew we were going to be in a battle at Duke, and had posted I would be satisfied with a one point win if we could get it.

The one loss at GT that upset me the most in all of my years of Tech football was a loss to Duke 20-21 under Bobby Dodd. We had completely dominated Duke in every aspect of the game and went into halftime with a 20-0 lead.

After halftime, Duke completely dominated and beat us 21-20. Worst loss for me in the history of Tech football.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I remember that one and you are right it sure hurt.This one does to but they have already played above almost everybodys expectations and if they had not done so this game would have probably been the way most would have expected it to go with all the problems the team had at the beginning of the year.

Is this the worst loss pointwise after being a favorite(13 pt)?
btw-the Ga debacle was MUCH worse than this.At least here we were in the game and gained as much
yardage as they.

"Ogelthorpe University beat us" in Football one time, if you must insist on History. And the program continued. It's a Tech Thang - You Wouldn't Understand - unless you looked at every year we have ever fielded a team.

If it's not the midterm exam load, it's our tendency to be arrogant and unattentive to the possiblity of losing to any team on any given weekend once we begin to win. We throw equational theory out the window for some reason. Watch our fan base, the same exact thing happens - we declared that Georgia would never beat us again after beating them twice in a row - sounds almost like an obnoxious UGA Fan doesn't it? - and our fans started acting like our team was untouchable. Then reality hands out vicious doses of truth serum and it hurts to the bone.

We have a team, the team is going to win, and the team is going to lose. Saturday was a rude adjustment of attitude. And as far as I am concerned, the intensity of the loss, the concentrated game plan by Ted Roof with the noticeable post MD vs Tech feedback from Bill O'Brien (and Ralph) put 22 players on the field against our guys on every play. Motive to prove a point with coaching skills combined with a deep motive to embarrass DBraine, gave Ted Roof our play book, our defensive schemes, our weaknesses, and all of our strengths. Mistakes and All - Chan Gailey has been paying DBraine's tab all season - and our kids are suffering the embarrassment. That just can't suck enough.

So next week is a new day and we'll see where the team chooses to go. I hope they go to win. They won't be playing against two entire football teams and three former coaches at the same time. That might help - I sure hope so.......

Even before the season started I thought that the one game we had a chance at - even better than Duke - was UNC.

North Carolina is led by the only dolt who evens things up in the coaching category, has our lousy ex-coordinator Huxtaball running the defense and we are on our home field.

That being said, let's show up Saturday and maybe a college football game may break out. One thing for certain - it will probably be close. Now that we are mad there is no way we get blown out.

The real test comes vs. Georgia.

I'll take a 77-0 whipping by OU ANY DAY over a loss to Duke by any margin.

Pathetic. We should all be ashamed, and those boys would still be running if I were the coach.

Originally posted by cropdusterengineer:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No doubt about it. (at least we'd have company if we got blown out by ou)

Originally posted by Father WASP:

North Carolina is led by the only dolt who evens things up in the coaching category, has our lousy ex-coordinator Huxtaball running the defense and we are on our home field.

============================================
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Pretty funny Father W !!!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by cropdusterengineer:

Pathetic. We should all be ashamed, and those boys would still be running if I were the coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Incorrect, I'm not ashamed of something I'm not responsible for. The players and coaches should be ashamed.
mad.gif

A. The butt kicking we took by the Bulldogs could have been a lot worse. I think Richt did everything he could not to run up the score even more. That game could have been 70-7!

Back