Lou Holtz Has It Right - Chan Needs To Follow His Lead

Father WASP

Flats Noob
This mornings Columbia paper has a headline: "Defeating Clemson Top Goal." Holtz : Beating rival more important than bowl berth for USC.

...USC coach and several seniors said this week that knocking off their chief rival would rate better than playing in Shreveport,La. or Nashville, TN, or some other city in a lower tier bowl.

"I think alot of us would rather beat Clemson than go to a bowl. That's pretty much how we feel," said center C.J. Frye.

"This is more important for me than a bowl game. You go to a bowl game, it helps you because you can practice, but we'll have a winter program anyway whether we go or don't go,"Holtz said.

Growing up following Tech, this wasn't even a point of discussion, everything just pointed to the Georgia game. It was understood.

We have the chance of a lifetime here, but maybe due to fear or intimidation I see much like a politicians the tamping down of expectations.

B__t. This is our measuring stick. How often do you get the opportunity to knock of your chief rival, SEC finalist, top ten team, etc. all in one fell swoop?

I'm looking for some signs out of our contingent of non-Georgia coaches and players that this is the big one.

Otherwise, this will continue to slide downward in terms of rivalry which is good for no one. The series had gotten so bad pre-O'Leary that we were left to complain about the score being run up on us. But Ray Goff said, "we could have kicked a field goal or lined up and played football. We decided to line up and play football." Good response Ray. It's up the opponent to stop you.

I dont think we will have too much problem with that this year, we've got a good D, but let's Techsters can the bowl talk, we've got a game yet to play and it deserves all the focus. This is different than Baylor or Ok. State or even UFla. Let's treat it that way.

Agree that we should be focused at one thing and that's beating the Mutts. This is THE GAME above all games. No doubt in mind.

Coach Gailey has talked about beating ugagly ever since he's taken over the job as head football coach at GT. Every time I've heard the man speak it's been mentioned.

After the Duke win Sat night, I heard nothing about anything from players other than beating GA. That included a FL guy on the team that impressed me with his fire talking about beating GA. The team obviously knows it HUGE. They know it's HUGE because of leadership from players that have been around the game and the coaching staff.

Yes, there has been talk about bowls. Heard some parents talking about it after the game. We need to make plans so for that purpose it's important.

Make no mistake about it. BEATING UGAG IS FIRST AND FOR MOST IMPORTANT!

GO JACKETS!

Coach Gailey has a history of wanting see UGag lose... Remember he's a Lizard... and I'm sure that his tradition of dislike towards the pups has transfered easily...

GO JACKETS!!! clip the doggies!!!

Back