Major Donors on Geoff Collins!

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Major Georgia Tech Donors move expectations for Geoff Collins from .500 and Bowl to 5 wins!

Major Georgia Tech Donors move expectations for Geoff Collins from .500 and Bowl to 5 wins!

From the first Article (3 Sept 2021) on expectation from Major Donors as .500 and bowl game:

“My view of the world is that we ought to win six or seven,” said Steve Zelnak, a Tech grad and prominent donor to the athletic department and institute. “If things go really well, maybe we win eight. Three or four (wins) doesn’t cut it. Even though we’ve got a tough schedule, it’s time to step up and get it done. I’m pretty optimistic.”

Another major athletics donor, Gregg Garrett, said that he talks to as many as two dozen Tech fans daily as the season approaches. “And to the man or woman, they all say the same things,” he said. “It’s time to win. It’s time to move forward with this program. And this is the year we’ve got to do it. It’s universal. And that’s rare to get a universal opinion about anything.” Garrett feels an urgency for the Jackets to reach .500 and qualify for a bowl. He praised the work Collins and his staff have done in recruiting and player development, calling it a “miraculous job.” But he called this a “critical season” for Collins and his staff. “I would put ‘critical’ in capital letters because if we don’t move the program forward this year, then I think that gives a lot of people – whether it’s the fan base, whether it’s recruits, whether it’s opponents – it gives them pause about where we are in this process, and is this process going to work?” Garrett said. “I think in Year 3, recruits want to go somewhere where it’s going to be a successful program, and in Year 3, it’s hard to sell, ‘We’re still rebuilding’ if you’re not winning,” Garrett said. “They want to see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.”

Link - When Season Started Season expectations set by Donors was 6 and Bowl game

From the first Article (3 Sept 2021) on expectation from Major Donors as .500 and bowl game:

“My view of the world is that we ought to win six or seven,” said Steve Zelnak, a Tech grad and prominent donor to the athletic department and institute. “If things go really well, maybe we win eight. Three or four (wins) doesn’t cut it. Even though we’ve got a tough schedule, it’s time to step up and get it done. I’m pretty optimistic.”

Another major athletics donor, Gregg Garrett, said that he talks to as many as two dozen Tech fans daily as the season approaches. “And to the man or woman, they all say the same things,” he said. “It’s time to win. It’s time to move forward with this program. And this is the year we’ve got to do it. It’s universal. And that’s rare to get a universal opinion about anything.” Garrett feels an urgency for the Jackets to reach .500 and qualify for a bowl. He praised the work Collins and his staff have done in recruiting and player development, calling it a “miraculous job.” But he called this a “critical season” for Collins and his staff. “I would put ‘critical’ in capital letters because if we don’t move the program forward this year, then I think that gives a lot of people – whether it’s the fan base, whether it’s recruits, whether it’s opponents – it gives them pause about where we are in this process, and is this process going to work?” Garrett said. “I think in Year 3, recruits want to go somewhere where it’s going to be a successful program, and in Year 3, it’s hard to sell, ‘We’re still rebuilding’ if you’re not winning,” Garrett said. “They want to see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.”

Link - When Season Started Season expectations set by Donors was 6 and Bowl game

Crying Baby GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Is it odd to hear so publicly from donors what their expectations are for the results in a season? Seems like it puts the coach and staff on notice before they even start play.

Our major Donors light be super smart and uber Rich from their Corporate Talents and Business savvy, but they are idiots when it comes to CFB.

First of all, they allowed a non passing triple option offense to come to GT FB during an Era when nearby HS FB Talent was producing a lot of future NFL Players, basically telling Local HS Coaches & Recruits that we aren't really serious about P5 CFB, nor helping get you to the NFL.

Second, they turned down an invite to the B1G Ten , keeping GT FB mired in the crappy ACC, with a crappy media presence, such that even if a Recruit grew up loving GT FB, it is damn near impossible to find our Games on TV in an Era where you can find Ga State Games on TV.

Our Major donors allowed GT FB to have it's reputation damaged for 11 straight years, shut up write checks, recruit your friends to write checks and give CGC his 6 years.

Finally, if they were "really major donors", then our Players' Parking Lot would look a lot different with the types of vehicles being parked there.

An SEC "bagman" laughed at donors like these guys in an Article I read, he said STTE, :

"when guys like this contribute thru legit channels with over the table contributions, that money gets spread all around and it spent on stupid stuff like non revenue sports and new paint in the Women's locker rooms, etc, but when me and my network of bagmen are "on our game", we can go out secure the Services of an Elite DT, QB, LT, or any other difference maker on the Field, if we get 5 of those in one Recruiting class, we have impacted the FB Program and the entire Athl Dept. more than those Guys giving out millions , and for a fraction of the Money they donate to the Athl Dept."

Someone needs to tell those major donors that that money would be better spent, finding elite OLs & DLs and giving friends and family of theirs a Job to get them to sign with GT.

At some point we have to play the Game like everyone else, remember Stephon Tuitt.

Our major Donors light be super smart and uber Rich from their Corporate Talents and Business savvy, but they are idiots when it comes to CFB.

First of all, they allowed a non passing triple option offense to come to GT FB during an Era when nearby HS FB Talent was producing a lot of future NFL Players, basically telling Local HS Coaches & Recruits that we aren't really serious about P5 CFB, nor helping get you to the NFL.

Second, they turned down an invite to the B1G Ten , keeping GT FB mired in the crappy ACC, with a crappy media presence, such that even if a Recruit grew up loving GT FB, it is damn near impossible to find our Games on TV in an Era where you can find Ga State Games on TV.

Our Major donors allowed GT FB to have it's reputation damaged for 11 straight years, shut up write checks, recruit your friends to write checks and give CGC his 6 years.

Finally, if they were "really major donors", then our Players' Parking Lot would look a lot different with the types of vehicles being parked there.

An SEC "bagman" laughed at donors like these guys in an Article I read, he said STTE, :

"when guys like this contribute thru legit channels with over the table contributions, that money gets spread all around and it spent on stupid stuff like non revenue sports and new paint in the Women's locker rooms, etc, but when me and my network of bagmen are "on our game", we can go out secure the Services of an Elite DT, QB, LT, or any other difference maker on the Field, if we get 5 of those in one Recruiting class, we have impacted the FB Program and the entire Athl Dept. more than those Guys giving out millions , and for a fraction of the Money they donate to the Athl Dept."

Someone needs to tell those major donors that that money would be better spent, finding elite OLs & DLs and giving friends and family of theirs a Job to get them to sign with GT.

At some point we have to play the Game like everyone else, remember Stephon Tuitt.
Could you imagine trying to keep up with the Jones' from like 2008-2013? We would have been at the bottom of the barrel nationally if we did. We had a locker room from the 1980s, we could barely give CPJ a recruiting team even without a separate OC on staff. I think hiring CPJ allowed us to at least tread water and not get washed away in the wave that brought slides and state of the art locker rooms to other programs. The uniqueness of the CPJ offense let us weather the MBob debacle and let us start the Stansbury era from a solid footing.

I don't really have an argument against joining the B10 other than losing a lot of local rivals and historical games.

And yes, I would be interested in seeing how much money officially and unofficially goes to ours and other programs and players. I would guess we are lagging far behind pretty much everyone in the P5/4.

So the people with money and insight are good with it, but you, without the money or insight, are not. Don’t read too far into that.

This is a fascinating discussion and while I fully realize you folks had rather see me dead than alive as a UGA fan, reading much of this gives me a perspective of how football is in the world of GT. I grew up when our rivalry was just that a rivalry, when the ATL media covered GT and people talked about the game before and after. I can only speak for the UGA side that the GT game isn’t talked about until the day of with UGA people and I wish that wasn’t the case. Where CFB is today it’s like an Arms Race, the facilities are ridiculous, the pitch to play then play in the NFL are like fine tuned marketing messages. Winning will help the climb up the mountain easier but it’s going to be a hell of a climb.

They probably work 60-70 hours a week (or more) so they don't have as much time to pursue frivolous pursuits as we do.

This is a fascinating discussion and while I fully realize you folks had rather see me dead than alive as a UGA fan, reading much of this gives me a perspective of how football is in the world of GT. I grew up when our rivalry was just that a rivalry, when the ATL media covered GT and people talked about the game before and after. I can only speak for the UGA side that the GT game isn’t talked about until the day of with UGA people and I wish that wasn’t the case. Where CFB is today it’s like an Arms Race, the facilities are ridiculous, the pitch to play then play in the NFL are like fine tuned marketing messages. Winning will help the climb up the mountain easier but it’s going to be a hell of a climb.

We have a few UGA fans on here that aren’t douchebags, so always room for more.

However, I disagree with you that we aren’t in Kirby’s head just a bit. Things such as this photo are proof.

1634597451994.png

From updated Article (15 Oct) on "win" expectations from Major Donors they went from .500 and a bowl to 5 wins:

“There’s no doubt when you watch this team play that this program has moved forward and gotten better,” said Gregg Garrett, a major donor to the Tech athletic department. “But it’s got to show up every week consistently, and they’ve got to find a way to win some games.”

Garrett, who before the season called it critically important for Tech and Collins to get to at least five wins, if not more, maintained his position. “I’ll kind of double down and say the second half of this season is hugely importantly for this program,” he said. “Nothing’s changed. If anything, the first half just makes the second half even more important, to some degree.”

Link - Updated 5 games is the new Standard set by Donors

We have a few UGA fans on here that aren’t douchebags, so always room for more.

However, I disagree with you that we aren’t in Kirby’s head just a bit. Things such as this photo are proof.

1634597451994.png

Ha, I had not seen that before.

Someone please ban-hammer this dwag.

He hasn't done anything wrong.

He talks about CFB.

IMO he should be welcome.

I want him around when we shock the Sports World with a huge upset the Sat after Thanksgiving.
I would rather read the posts of an objective, educated mutt (of which admittedly there are very few) than infantile posts like "you can suck on my big fat one." Gee, such a mature post....NOT

Back