Man this place is slow right now...

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
Can't we get some activity going? I know it's the offseason, but I'm sure we can get some good football conversations going. We only have a few days until spring practice begins!!!

How much better will our defense be?

Who will win the QB position?

What surprises lay in store for us?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic?

What will our record end up at?

Will we finally get over the FSU hurdle?

So many things to discuss...we just aren't doing it.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
there is going to be plenty to talk about soon but I think we have all been through so much with fb coaching change and bb just missing NIT that we are all just a little burned out.

But the hive is getting its make over at the end of the month and we are going to have spring FB front and center. I believe both of those topics will create a stir here at stingtalk.

I try to glance at a few ACC teams sites and I can tell you they are ALL dead. Even the hive has turned to just mindless banter. When we start seeing some depth charts at RB and QB then we will be getting some good chatter going.

I am really looking forward to the T game. I moved to atlanta just in the last few years and that was after O'leary discontinued them. It should be awesome to see the QB's in action. I am also going to try to make it out to some spring practices. It appears everything will be out the open under CG.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
My family's been sick lately (wife and 18 month old son both vomiting with the roto-virus). So, I haven't been posting as much.
Pretty soon, this place will pick up. I think we'll start jawing more as soon as spring practice gets going.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Originally posted by bugboy:
My family's been sick lately (wife and 18 month old son both vomiting with the roto-virus). So, I haven't been posting as much.
Pretty soon, this place will pick up. I think we'll start jawing more as soon as spring practice gets going.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bug,

sorry to hear about your family I hope they feel better real soon.

law

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Sorry to hear Bugboy.... hope all gets better soon... I have been a little out of pocket lately... not much time to be on the computer at home... but things will slow down soon... I hope... looking forward to a great spring practice... are any of you guys planning to go to the game at Marist?

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
In response to my own questions.

How much better will our defense be?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that our defense was that bad last year. We were near at or near the top of the conference in just about every statistical category. The defense just disappeared at key times like 3rd down and at the end of several games.

The difference this year is that we won't give up so many big plays on 3rd down. The style of defense that Tenuta brings will help us out on 3rd down tremendously. With Tenuta coaching the DBs I see huge improvement. We won't even recognize them out on the field.

As ahso mentioned, the DEs will be able to contain the other teams QBs better because the interior linemen will step up.

Who will win the QB position?

Too tough to tell right now. We'll know more after spring practice, but it will probably just be narrowed down to 2 or so. Right now I think it comes down to Suggs and Bilbo, but Hall and Landry will be in the mix. What a wonderful problem it is to have so many good QBs to choose from.

What surprises lay in store for us?

Well, it may not be a huge surpise for many of us, but I think many people that don't follow Tech that closely are going to be surprised. It doesn't seem like very many people are giving us any respect. That's ok with me. We will be able to sneak up on a lot of people. I see us being one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic?

Optimistic, obviously.

What will our record end up at?

To me, 9-3 is a reasonable record to shoot for. I'd be very happy with anything better than that. Of course, that assumes that we beat UGAg. If we lose to them it won't matter what our record is...I'll be disappointed.

Will we finally get over the FSU hurdle?

This will be out best chance in years to beat FSU. We have the defensive speed to keep up with their receivers. With better defensive play up the middle, the DEs will be able to contain Rix. We have a good shot at them this year, and Bobby Bowden knows it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What he said.

gnats67

Dodd-Like
I'm looking forward to a rejuvenated TECH defense.
O'Leary's approach the last few seasons has been extremely perplexing for longtime TECH fans. TECH football, traditionally, has always been about defense. The lack of it has been an extreme embarrassment to me personally and I have little doubt that "Chan the Man" is not going to stand for "crappy" defense.

I think Suggs is the "heir apparent." Bilbo may be better but he'll have to obviously win the job.
Hall, I believe, will be a back-up.

I think the biggest surprises will be running back and defensive line, respectively. I may be way off base but I sense TECH going more to the ground game and doing so successfully with a breakout featured back. Someone will make a name for themselves. I feel the D-line has to become more dominate; stuffing the run and pressuring the QB.

I'm totally optimistic. I think Coach Gailey has the ability to improve upon a questionable situation rather than suffer through a coaching transition period. TECHs going to turn it up!

I believe an undefeated season is entirely possible with FSU being our greatest mental roadblock. I don't think that FSU is better than TECH right now but we must believe we can beat these guys otherwise we'll drop the game because "we're suppossed to." Almost the same for the dawgs. The ACC we should able to beat.
I see a minimum of 8 wins.

I fully believe that FSU is vulnerable. They're no longer the Notre Dame of the state of Florida. I hate to say this but Spurriers leaving UF will have a dramatic effect on the entire state of Florida's football and FSU is already weak and Coach Bobby is NOT getting younger and stronger and more ambitious. I think Chan is going to go after them aggressively. We'll have to see.

JacketFanPCB

Damn Good Rat
Gnats 67, I LOVE your optimism. I truly beelieve in what Chan Gailey can do for GT football. With his MANY years of experience at different levels, his connections, his character and his knowledge of the game we've got nowhere to go but up.

We seem a little thin at spots including offensive line and running back. Let's hope and pray we can stay relatively injury free in these and other areas!!

The more I hear, the more I like about the future of GT football. I can't WAIT to get up to Atlanta and catch a practice or something.

I DO hope (as was alluded to by Dave Wilson at that Augusta get-together last night...see Hive post) that GT is made MUCH more visible. I hope the athletic association and the marketing folks can REALLY step up GT awareness. You CANNOT find much GT stuff (clothes, caps, memorabilia) at any stores in Atlanta much less OUTSIDE the state. It's really pitiful for such a well-known program!

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:

I DO hope (as was alluded to by Dave Wilson at that Augusta get-together last night...see Hive post) that GT is made MUCH more visible. I hope the athletic association and the marketing folks can REALLY step up GT awareness. You CANNOT find much GT stuff (clothes, caps, memorabilia) at any stores in Atlanta much less OUTSIDE the state. It's really pitiful for such a well-known program!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree PCB. Not only is it hard to find Tech stuff outside of the state, but also INSIDE the state when not in Atlanta. I live near Columbus. It's almost impossible to find stuff around here. It is better than it used to be. But a long way to go still.