Master B's fullback analysis...........

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Master B\'s fullback analysis...........

http://pub210.ezboard.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=10734.topic

Pre-Spring Football Position Analysis: Fullback
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I certainly hate to interrupt all of the talk on UGA basketball but I'm going to continue on with Part 2 in our analysis/discussion on our football team as we head into spring practice. Yesterday's discussion was great on the OL. I have adjusted my depth chart projections based on some of the conversation, news and other info I get. When we're all done with these discussions, I will post my updated roster projections in time for the beginning of Spring Practice. So, join me today as we talk about our Fullbacks. I picked a position today that won't require as much discussion since not as many people seem to post on Friday and a lot of people can't discuss this stuff until after work and probably have places to be on a Friday.

Fullbacks

Players lost from last year:
None, however it appears that Brian Johnson will be moving to Tight End in spring.

Additions:
None, however I will say that there is a possibility down the road that Kyle Pupello could move over and play offense as a Fullback. But that does not seem to be in the immediate plans.

Position Depth:
FB: Jimmy Dixon, Ajenavi Eziemefe, Jonathan Jackson (out for spring)

Stats from last season:
Jimmy Dixon: 12 games
0 carries, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns
2 receptions, 8 yards, 0 touchdowns
Ajenavi Eziemefe: 9 games
70 carries, 305 yards, 2 touchdowns
1 receptions, 12 yards, 0 touchdowns
Jonathan Jackson: 11 games
3 carries, 13 yards, 0 touchdowns
2 receptions, 2 yards, 0 touchdowns

Comments:
Well it looks like we're going into spring practice with just 2 healthy fullbacks. Jackson fractured and dislocated ankle on a punt return against Duke late in the season, so he won't be playing spring ball this year. Brian Johnson has apparently moved to TE but he could spend some time at both positions if we're in need of some bodies. I'd also expect to see some of JP Foschi at FB in certain sets, like he did last season.

But the two I expect to see the most time at FB is Jimmy Dixon & ACE. ACE can really play both running back positions but would appear to be more needed at FB. I'm sure his injury last year slowed him down but he didn't look near as fast when he returned from it. It was painful to watch him try and take a ball to the outside. He did however look very good between the tackles. A 4.36 YPC isn't bad considering he was banged up and thrown into duty because of injuries to other backs. He is a guy that we would probably use in short-yardage situations at tailback too.

We've been waiting for 3 seasons for Jimmy to finally find his niche on this team. Hopefully he'll find it as a starting fullback. He really outgrew the tailback position and really had trouble at times being allusive like a tailback needs to do. He seemed to run a little too upright. I think he'll be a great fit at FB because he's a hitter. He is very dangerous in the open field because he'll plow over a defensive back if given the chance and has good speed for a guy his size. I hope he can make a real contribution this season and begin to reach some of his high potential that he can onto campus with.

Hopefully we can get a healthy Jonathan Jackson back into the mix come fall.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Re: Master B\'s fullback analysis...........

Excellent analysis. I feel like we'll be seeing ALOT more productivity out of the fullback position in the next few years! If we can get a good blocking fullback AND a back that can take the ball on the fly, our offense is gonna start stepping it up!

What about Willie Reid? If he was academically eligible for the bowl game, he was suppose to get a lot of PT, but grades never came through. Is he still on the roster?

Originally posted by mississippi_jacket:
What about Willie Reid? If he was academically eligible for the bowl game, he was suppose to get a lot of PT, but grades never came through. Is he still on the roster?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good to see you mississippi_jacket! He's not on the team any longer. Don't know the reason honestly.

Go Jackets!

Back