Master B's take on Off. Line.............

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Master B\'s take on Off. Line.............

link below

http://pub210.ezboard.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=10670.topic

for those who cannot access the link

Pre-Spring Football Position Analysis: Offensive Line
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With apologies to alwaysforGT, I'm going to run with Techbert's idea of starting up some pre-Spring Football discussion. Spring Football practice is just around the corner, so like others here, I'm getting pumped about getting a glimpse of what we'll look like next season. We can discuss OL over the next day or so. Depending on how it goes, I'll put up another position either tomorrow or Monday. Feel free here to add your opinions to mine as well as any additional information you may have.

Offensive Line

Players lost from last year:
Ray Roberts-Blake
Beau Cleland

Listed as Seniors last year but still on roster:
(Here's where someone can help out with some information on these two guys)
Garren Findlay - Started GT in 2001 as a JUCO transfer. I thought he had 2 years to play 2. He was listed as a RS-Senior in last year's Media Guide but is again listed on the roster at Ramblinwreck.com. I don't believe he is playing but I could be wrongo.
Will Hardy - A walk-on that joined the program in 1999. He was also listed as a senior last year and again this year at Ramblinwreck.com.

Additions:
Eddy Parker
Kevin Tuminello
Matthew Rhodes

Position Depth:
RT: Kyle Wallace, Jeremy Phillips, Zeb McHargue
RG: Clay Hartley, Brad Brezina (currently at DT), Matthew Rhodes
C: Hugh Reilly, Andy Tidwell-Neal, Gavin Tarquinio, Kevin Tuminello
LG: Leon Robinson, Salih Besirevic
LT: Nat Dorsey, Brad Honeycutt, Eddy Parker

Comments:
OL should be a position of strength for us next year, at least with the starters. We are returning 4 of 5 starters from the 2002 season. The biggest concern here though has to be our potential lack of quality depth behind them.

At Tackle Dorsey & Wallace return but could get pushed for a starting spot by Jeremy Phillips, if healthy. From listening to Chan at signing day, there are concerns about him getting completely back to form. But from his parents on here, Jeremy is working hard and expects to be a factor in some capacity on the line or as a blocking TE on certain situations. Either way, a healthy Jeremy will definitely be a factor on this OL. Honeycutt & McHargue should also push for time on the 2-deep. Parker projects as a Tackle but should we stay healthy, I'm sure the coaches would like to redshirt him. It has also been discussed that Mansfield Wrotto could project as an OT rather than DT after he gets here but I suspect he'll as least begin as a D-lineman.

At Guard, you can write Leon Robinson's name in as a starter in permanent marker. The other side, at RG, is where things could get interesting. Clay Hartley is the man that has been backing up Ray Blake but don't expect the position to just be given to him. I'm sure there will be some competition for the RG starting position but as yet don't know exactly where it will come from. I had heard before that Brad Brezina may move to the OL and compete for a spot at Guard, but Gailey was non-committal about that kind of change during Signing Day. I have a feeling though that it will happen. If it does, I'd like to see it happen in the first couple days of Spring Practice, so he has as much time as possible to get a grasp of the position. Salih moved over to Guard last year but could obviously play either position. He's another guy that might get a look at RG. Tidwell-Neal could also be a candidate to play Guard if he doesn't want to wait around for another year for Reilly to graduate at the Center position, but techmom65 might be able to help out with that info. I think Matt Rhodes will be a Guard but see him redshirting.

At Center you can pretty much lock Hugh Reilly into the starting role. He's a solid player in his senior year and should be the leader of this line. After him Tidwell-Neal would appear to be the heir apparent. Gavin Tarquinio has battled injuries over the past 2 years but hopefully he'll be healthy in spring and can finally show what he can do. Kevin Tuminello projects as a Center but I'd expect a redshirt is likely from him as well.

I know we have a high number of Offensive Linemen parents that read the board regularly. I'd love for them to add to the discussion and possibly give us some insight we wouldn't otherwise have.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Re: Master B\'s take on Off. Line.............

Was told by offensive line coach on signing day face to face that there are no plans to move players to other positions. Asked our D Line coach the same question. Got the same answer. Asked Coach Gailey the same question and got the same answer.

There has been speculation of players moving postions. Could happen down the road. There is no plans for it by the coaching staff. I believe I know where these thoughts and speculations are coming from. At this time it might be premature. No offense meant towards anyone with that statement.

Do know that our O'line Coach has his eyes on Wrotto.
wink.gif
Those were his words, but he also agreed he needs to start career at DL. He sounded VERY IMPRESSED with his ability to run for his size.

I enjoyed MasterB's post a great deal.

I've been working on OL post similar to post on WR. It's just taking longer because of the number of players we have on OL.

I'll try to bring out some different type info from informative view from MasterB.

I asked this on the Hive and I wanna ask it here:

Will our MUCH smaller O-line be able to fend off the much BIGGER lines from the likes of AU and UGA?? I mean there is GT precedence for this, right? I mean we're USUALLY much smaller at the LOS, right??

I just don't wanna see us get manhandled by the farm boys, y'know?

It is usually our defensive line that is undersized but our o line is usually big enough{last year an exception} but it seems that the two years that we have had our S@C coach that we have not been nearly as strong physically. I hope this has been addressed already, if not the Auburn's and UGA's will push us around. There were a lots of things that were wrong last year that hopefully has already been addressed. I know I have read some admissions by Chan that he said would be different this year and I am willing to take him at his word until proven otherwise.

It wouldn't surprise if sometime during the season that Parker is starting at guard!! He has good size, quickness, stength, and the smarts. Plus something like 130 or 150 knockdown blocks this year!!! That is a lot. I really liked the way he got after it on the film at signing day. In my judgement he is one our plum signees this year. Also I hope we get the shotgun snap problems worked out! This line should be one of our better ol groups. And they do need to work on their strength.

Back