Matt Rhule of Temple

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
The coach that brought Temple to heights not seen in decades:
10-4 2015
10-5 2016
has been at Baylor for two years prior to this season. Following a season coached by Jim Grobe (a 7-6 season), Rhule has had Baylor:
1-11 2017
7-6 2018

The previous 5 years at Baylor under Briles:
10-3
8-5
11-2
11-2
10-3

I wonder if any of the Baylor fans complained about doing less with more? How many of you would change your mind if Geoff went 7-5 next season? Probably not many.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Yep. If you are not just a stacked team, transitional years are rough. And you can multiply that for us.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I wonder if anything happened at Baylor just prior to Rhule getting there?
It is interesting that the last three successful coaches to leave temple include Al Golden and those coaches went to Miami, Baylor, and Tech. Will be interesting to see who has the most success. My money is on Collins.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
What is even your point?

Going 7-5 next year would probably qualify Collins for national coach of the year awards.
No point at all in terms of convincing you of anything. But looking at results is interesting and helps put things in perspective. I feel like some on here wouldn’t be satisfied with anything.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Why not go 7-5 this season? :faint: I think most would be placated if he went 7-5 next season, not so excited if he did it again in year 3.

GoJackets89

Helluva Engineer
Why not go 7-5 this season? :faint: I think most would be placated if he went 7-5 next season, not so excited if he did it again in year 3.
I'd be curious to know how many teams have made it to a bowl game when losing to an FCS opponent during the season.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I think reaching a bowl game is an attainable goal for his first 2 seasons, and I would be impressed with Collins if he pulled it off. This year is looking bleak, but we have a long way to go. The schedule is brutal next year, and winning 7 games could even mean competing for a division title.

Year 3 is when we would expect to see real success. "His" players would be upperclassmen and there would be time to fully install his system and get everyone comfortable with what they are doing.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Baylor fans should just be happy their team didn't get the death penalty.

So far, the only thing Collins has shown he can do as a head coach is take Rhule's 10-win teams and make them worse. Oh, and that FCS teams are trouble.

Anyone want to make a wager that Collins will win 7 games next season?

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Baylor fans should just be happy their team didn't get the death penalty.

So far, the only thing Collins has shown he can do as a head coach is take Rhule's 10-win teams and make them worse. Oh, and that FCS teams are trouble.

Anyone want to make a wager that Collins will win 7 games next season?
I’ll make a whiskey bet. No piss bets for me.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
People keep bringing this up, and this has got to be the dumbest argument ever. For one, it's extremely hard to continue high success year to year in the college game unless you are a factory that reloads every year. Rosters change a good bit year to year in college. Rhule himself probably couldn't even have kept that 10-win streak up. You can't say CGC "took those 10 win teams and made them worse." His teams were not the same players as those 10 win teams. Sure they had a good amount of the same players, but they were not all the same, and neither were their opponents.

Also, Rhule's two 10 win seasons were extreme outliers in Temple's past success. They have only had one other 10 win season and that was in 1979. Rhule's first two years at temple he went 2-10, then 6-6. I guess he tanked Addazio's team that had won 9 games a couple years before he arrived. In 2015, Rhule's 10 win team got boat raced by USF, and in 2016 his 10 win team lost to 7-6 Wake Forest.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I wonder if anything happened at Baylor just prior to Rhule getting there?
Based on LAW ENFORCEMENT investigations, not much happened at Baylor

Based on Title IX tribunals and a Media frenzy where ACTUAL EVIDENCE & THOROUGH INVESTIGATIONS don't mean anything then a lot happened

Only question is what kinda person are you, do you put more credibility in Professional LE investigations or in Title IX tribunals where the goal is a gender based money grab to scam the school out of its endowment money?