Max Howell on 680 today........

techsamillion

Flats Noob
projected Tech at 6-6 at best. Okay, I realize a bunch of you guys are going to tell me the evils associated with 680 but that is all I can pick up down here in SW Georgia, so please bear with me.
Anyhow, at this point, I am inclined to believe that he is correct; even though I indeed hope not.
We can always hope and, as God leads: Pray!! But we have a rough row to hoe. We need some breaks as never before. Yet I think we will be a good bit better that was the impression on Saturday.
We were missing some key folks at the Spring Game and also (I hope and think) the defense made the offense look worse than it really is. FWIW, I love our defense....I really loved the way Houston, Reis, Wilkenson, and the rest really got after things!!! Sorry to leave anyone out for failure to remember names.
I talked a little to Eric Henderson on Sat. after watching him from warm-up to end of game. HE WAS JACKED!!!! I just had to tell to him and let him know that I noticed his enthusiasm. His big smile,friendly personality, and sincerity were pervasive following the game. He is humble, but full of fire.....I love this, another wonderful young man from New Orleans. You guys have said it before, but I echo your sentiments......we have some of the classiest athletes to be found anywhere. By the way, Eric is a Christian (he and his partner, --sorry I did not get the name-- were so appreciative as I told them I would pray for them) and on his own offered to come to my church (that is, until he found it was 150 miles away). Well, nobody is perfect!!!!
wink.gif

Well I tell you there are a FEW who are concerned. After last years disappointed season we are not sure what to expect.

We will find out soon enough.

If it makes you feel better Max picked us to go 6-6 Godsey's first year too.

I think we're physically better than we were last year. The big thing is QB as has been hashed out on the board with some pretty good convo.

The O will look a lot different when we get Dorsey and Robinson back, which we will. What we don't need to happen, this is not an excuse, is to have a rash of injuries.

I'm planning on none of the new guys coming in this summer/fall to be impact players. Now that doesn't mean none of them will not. Some probably have a chance.

We could use some help at DT on short yardage situations. I do feel our DL is better this year than last. Really sorry none of you got a look at Pullen. He's got that first step that not a lot of players have. Example of that step is a healthy Gathers. He's growing and could help at DT as well as DE. He can really run as was told by one of the players face to face at practice. Plays the game very physical every down.

Just comparing this years team from last in my observations. Think early on we'll miss Reco from an assignment stand point. Think McNair is going to be very good.

Think we're all in agreement Smith can play this game. Honestly think Fox is the best player on our team. He does a lot of things well from pressure off the corner, shedding blocks, and pass coverage. He's a play maker. If you guys haven't noticed at Spring Day he's bigger and hasn't lost that quickness and speed he had.

The one area that needed big improvement after the first few practices was our DBs. Think that was the most improved area in all of spring to my eyes. Now I didn't get to see Spring Day, but that was my observation in practices. We're more physical at Safeties. From day one they came up and played run well. They really improved pass coverage as spring went along. Some of our better tacklers are back there now. Where I feel Cox is very solid. He played well last year. He's added a come up and hit you attitude now as well. I didn't know if Houston could be a real cover corner. Think he's slimmed up a good bit and gotten faster/quicker. Think running track has helped him. (BTW He, Davis, and IP will be on our track team this weekend) One of the keys to playing true cover corner is hip turn. Some guys although they're super athletic can't turn there hips to move quick in coverage. That's one reason in college we see so many people making up ground with speed. Think that's an area Houston has worked hard on. He's better player now than he was. We all know how hard he plays the game. He'll never give up on any play. That's why he makes so many in my book along with being a very gifted athlete. Was concerned if he was going to be the man at corner who would play nickel. If first game was this weekend that would be Davis. I expect to see us play a lot of nickel.

This D has a chance to be very good I feel. Let's just stay healthy and get some help in certain situations from some recruits. Might be an impact player coming in. Just never know.

Think the O will look a lot different than what was seen Saturday from a strategy stand point. This is from what I have heard about Spring Day and comparing that to what I've seen in practice. We certainly need to cut down on mental mistakes and get the already mentioned qb play.

Those are just some of my thoughts from info I've heard bounced around like from Coach Gailey at LB today and from watching practices.

I'm trying to put together some kind of LB report since ylo doesn't seem up to it. Just kidding ylo. You did a great job last week. Didn't want to feel silly doing one and having you show me up.
wink.gif

GO Jackets!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
[QB]I think we're physically better than we were last year. The big thing is QB as has been hashed out on the board with some pretty good convo.

The O will look a lot different when we get Dorsey and Robinson back, which we will. What we don't need to happen, this is not an excuse, is to have a rash of injuries.

GTT from watching practice IMHO having Dorsey and Robinson on the line will clear up some not all of the consistency problems. They should allow DBO more time to make a good decision. The rest of the problems are his to correct. In his defense there has been improvement in his game this spring.
As far as the DB's are concerned Kenny Scott has a very good chance to be on the field alot and often.

Originally posted by KBEEJACKET:
Originally posted by GTTerrific:
[QB]I think we're physically better than we were last year. The big thing is QB as has been hashed out on the board with some pretty good convo.

GTT from watching practice IMHO having Dorsey and Robinson on the line will clear up some not all of the consistency problems. They should allow DBO more time to make a good decision. The rest of the problems are his to correct. In his defense there has been improvement in his game this spring.
As far as the DB's are concerned Kenny Scott has a very good chance to be on the field alot and often.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree KBEE. The line won't fix everything. It won't fix the mental errors either. Will help because they, Dorsey and Robinson, have experience. Besides that they're good football players. We still have work to do. That back side protection is so important.

680 and Max Howell lost credibility with me a long time ago... years ago, Max would bring information to the airwaves, but over the past few years he has brought opinion moreso than information... 680 needs to revamp to get out of the cellar in the Atlanta market..

But, I cant argue with his assessment. Given the performance of the coaches and players closing out the season last year, and given the fact that we do have problems at QB, along with the fact that we seemed to have problems competing with some teams on a physical basis, 6-6 seems like a fair assessment.

My guess is he sees us losing to FSU, UGA, NCST, MD, AUB, and VA ... I think anyone would say that those games do hold the key to our season.

WRT 680, I'm not going to dwell on "conspiracy" or anything of that nature, but the "logic" Max Howell et. al. use to "forecast" the success of a program the coming year would get ripped by a high school debate team.

A few weeks ago, I heard him and his co-host running down their thoughts on a few programs. Max started talking about Texas A&M, and how he thought they would do well this year. (Note: I may not get all the positional facts right about A&M since it is from memory, but you will see the jist of it). They have to replace their entire running backfield, but Howell thought they were "well suited" to the type of running game Fracione would bring in. Something like 3 of the 5 OL's gone, but the backups "projected well". Talked about how he thought their D was going to thrive under Francione (IIR, they lost something like their whole linebacking crew, and about half the whole D).

Then the next team he profiled was Tech - about how they would struggle. They lost a key offensive lineman (this was a surprising comment, as we return 4 of 5), they have needs at DT (true), replacing their secondary. How we would have to "adjust" to a new offensive scheme.

What really struck me was how one set of "rules" applied to one situation (ie. - Dontcha think A&M will have a bit more adjustment to an *entirely new staff* - both O and D, than Tech? Wouldn't 4 returning lineman be better than 2?).

The bottom line is that esp in Max's case, he has preconcieved notions about a team/program/conference, and he uses his "wisdom" and "facts" to substantiate his opinions.

We've got our issues, and if things go right, we could really surprise to the upside. The way the schedule is laid out doesn't help, IMO. We could also be 6-6.

But in no way, shape, or form would I give one iotas of thought to the "projections" of Max Howell. I recall Mark Schlabach on WSB talking how Tech would win 6 games prior to the 1998 season (of course we won 10, ACC co-champs). These guys have no clue.

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
WRT 680, I'm not going to dwell on "conspiracy" or anything of that nature, but the "logic" Max Howell et. al. use to "forecast" the success of a program the coming year would get ripped by a high school debate team.

A few weeks ago, I heard him and his co-host running down their thoughts on a few programs. Max started talking about Texas A&M, and how he thought they would do well this year. (Note: I may not get all the positional facts right about A&M since it is from memory, but you will see the jist of it). They have to replace their entire running backfield, but Howell thought they were "well suited" to the type of running game Fracione would bring in. Something like 3 of the 5 OL's gone, but the backups "projected well". Talked about how he thought their D was going to thrive under Francione (IIR, they lost something like their whole linebacking crew, and about half the whole D).

Then the next team he profiled was Tech - about how they would struggle. They lost a key offensive lineman (this was a surprising comment, as we return 4 of 5), they have needs at DT (true), replacing their secondary. How we would have to "adjust" to a new offensive scheme.

What really struck me was how one set of "rules" applied to one situation (ie. - Dontcha think A&M will have a bit more adjustment to an *entirely new staff* - both O and D, than Tech? Wouldn't 4 returning lineman be better than 2?).

The bottom line is that esp in Max's case, he has preconcieved notions about a team/program/conference, and he uses his "wisdom" and "facts" to substantiate his opinions.

We've got our issues, and if things go right, we could really surprise to the upside. The way the schedule is laid out doesn't help, IMO. We could also be 6-6.

But in no way, shape, or form would I give one iotas of thought to the "projections" of Max Howell. I recall Mark Schlabach on WSB talking how Tech would win 6 games prior to the 1998 season (of course we won 10, ACC co-champs). These guys have no clue.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Back