May have blown the coastal today

UVA is a legit question mark, both for them, and for us. They've actually looked quite good. They were just so terrible last year, though, that I can't imagine them being that quality.

We'll see.

Thing is, though, that's a wash, because we both play them. If they're still terrible, then we both beat them. If they're that good, then Duke's chances of beating them go down just like ours do.

I think we match up well against Tenutas style though. And UVAs offense isn't great. They thrive off turnovers on defense and I don't think we play into that with how little we throw. I think we'll hit some big plays against UVA.

Duke was our worst matchup IMO but still thought we could win and we almost did. Duke should lose to both UVA and VPI and I could see them losing to UNC as well.

I don't know why anyone would expect more than 7 wins until we prove we can do it consistently. Couldn't under the previous coach and the current one is rapidly proving he isn't any better. If we win more than 7 I will be pleasantly surprised. If we beat the puppies I will consider it a successful season. If we beat the puppies and win a bowl game it will be an entire off season that will feel like Christmas Day.

I think Duke loses 2 more and we learn from this and take care of business

Duke certainly beat us on the line today, especially our D Line. They are better than us on both lines. Sure our QB threw 2 ints that you wouldn't expect a jr high QB to throw. Sure we were dumb with the penalties and and the refs weren't giving us any benefit of the doubt. But when you've got worse lines and QB you can't really say it was an accident.

There are many paths to a successful season. One path was closed yesterday.

Wrong. You just did a breakdown for us that shows that we are likely to finish 5-3 or potentially 6-2 in the ACC. Fine. What makes you think Duke will do any better? They were better last year and needed extraordinary luck to finish 6-2. I watched 5 of their ACC games - their luck was just absurd. They'll end up 5-3 at best this year. Just watch.

IMO based on talent and remaining schedule, only two Coastal teams are good enough to finish 6-2: Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, and we already have the tiebreaker over them. If Duke manages to win the division, it will be with a 5-3 record in a clusteröööö of tied teams.

Wrong. You just did a breakdown for us that shows that we are likely to finish 5-3 or potentially 6-2 in the ACC. Fine. What makes you think Duke will do any better?

They play literally nobody in the Atlantic, and they don't have to finish better. They just have to finish the same, because they hold the head to head tiebreaker, and will probably hold the 3 way tiebreaker if another team manages to squeeze 6-2 in addition to us.

The chances of Duke finishing as low as 5-3 are much lower than the chances of GT finishing as high as 6-2. They now have two games to give and we only have one, and we have to play Clemson cross-division.

I'm not being negative, and I'm not being an ass. I'm being realistic.

Duke certainly beat us on the line today, especially our D Line. They are better than us on both lines.

Duke.

Is better than us on both lines. You're right, but I am just having the hardest time believing it and typing.

DUKE?!

wtf

Duke.

Is better than us on both lines. You're right, but I am just having the hardest time believing it and typing.

DUKE?!

wtf

Remember we have lost a number of guys on the DL, and our starters are very much undersized. Nothing new for sure.

We absolutely blew the Coastal with this debacle of a home loss to Puke.

We'll lose at least once more in the ACC (Clemson), which means Puke would need to lose two more games...and with their high-school schedule, that ain't happening.

They play literally nobody in the Atlantic, and they don't have to finish better. They just have to finish the same, because they hold the head to head tiebreaker, and will probably hold the 3 way tiebreaker if another team manages to squeeze 6-2 in addition to us.

The chances of Duke finishing as low as 5-3 are much lower than the chances of GT finishing as high as 6-2. They now have two games to give and we only have one, and we have to play Clemson cross-division.

I'm not being negative, and I'm not being an ass. I'm being realistic.

Why would they probably hold the three-way tiebreaker? If they're 2-0 against us and the other team sure, but that's unlikely. The other team would be their likely second ACC loss and the three teams would be 1-1. Then Duke would have two Coastal losses while we would have one.

Then there's the possibility of us and Duke being two of three three-loss teams, which is even more bizarre. Still, Duke is hurt in the tie-breakers by having such an easy Atlantic schedule.

We absolutely blew the Coastal with this debacle of a home loss to Puke.

We'll lose at least once more in the ACC (Clemson), which means Puke would need to lose two more games...and with their high-school schedule, that ain't happening.

But Clemson is an Atlantic opponent. As long as GT wins the next 3 games against our remaining coastal opponents and Duke loses to Pitt, VT or UNC (UNC being a rivalry game where no holds are barred) then GT is in even if we lose to an Atlantic opponent.

But Clemson is an Atlantic opponent. As long as GT wins the next 3 games against our remaining coastal opponents and Duke loses to Pitt, VT or UNC (UNC being a rivalry game where no holds are barred) then GT is in even if we lose to an Atlantic opponent.

Wouldn't that leave us both with 2 losses and Duke would win due to HTH victory?

This loss is not the dumpster fire some of you are making it out to be.
Duke is not nearly as good as some of you are making them out to be.

Wouldn't that leave us both with 2 losses and Duke would win due to HTH victory?

Yes it would.

Folks need to learn their tiebreakers around here.

The only way the tiebreaker slips to coastal record is if it's a 3 way and the 3rd guy lost to us and beat Duke. (think Miami) But in that scenario we'd probably tie Miami on the coastal record, since they'd be sitting on a FSU loss just like our Clemson loss, and it would slip to further tie breakers, which we'd probably lose on.

This loss is not the dumpster fire some of you are making it out to be.
Duke is not nearly as good as some of you are making them out to be.

I think they're worse than us, but a team worse than us can more easily get through their schedule than we can get through ours.

I think they're worse than us, but a team worse than us can more easily get through their schedule than we can get through ours.

Beej, this is the part i don't get with you though. They play the same opponents we are in the coastal, the only difference is we play nc state and clemson while they're playing wf and syracuse from the atlantic. They lost to the Miami team that we beat and they still have to play VPI. Virginia's a tough opponent and UNC shouldn't be discounted just because they had a terrible start. If you truly think that they're worse than us and this loss was fluke, then I can understand if you thought our chances were 49% to finishing ahead of them. But you're talking like it's a done deal and we're not making it to charlotte after one loss to them. I don't know how logical you think you're being, I feel like it's mostly mostly emotional and somewhat superstituous. I'm not ready to write ncstate and clemson as losses, why should we? Beating VPI and Miami back to back is a pretty impressive accomplishment, especially since both teams, especially Miami have better athletes. We were able to play tough against bigger o-line and d-line and somehow struggled against smaller faster guys similar to ours.

Back