Mayhem Is Coming

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
CGC needs to see this and get this level of coordination started with our students. Change one banner to Mayhem is Coming and it would be awesome (if our students and fans can find the game on time)

Maybe someone can tell me what is actually wrong with a for-profit school. I don't want specific school examples, I just want to know why people thumb their noses to them. Is it an ethical thing? Is it a money thing? I can never tell.

Which seems like a pretty good model to rescue a school. They were non profit for 55 years. Then for profit and privately held for four years. Then for profit and publicly held for seven years. Then they tried to go back to non profit but it took them three years to persuade the govt to let them do it.

Im curious if you have some reason to believe that the owners did anything unethical, or if you’re just suspicious of for profit schools in general?

The people that run any school are all trying to make a profit for themselves. The only people that this affects are the people supplying capital. But all the employees of the school are motivated by the same mix of avarice and charity as all of us, regardless of the schools tax status.

Which seems like a pretty good model to rescue a school. They were non profit for 55 years. Then for profit and privately held for four years. Then for profit and publicly held for seven years. Then they tried to go back to non profit but it took them three years to persuade the govt to let them do it.

Im curious if you have some reason to believe that the owners did anything unethical, or if you’re just suspicious of for profit schools in general?

The people that run any school are all trying to make a profit for themselves. The only people that this affects are the people supplying capital. But all the employees of the school are motivated by the same mix of avarice and charity as all of us, regardless of the schools tax status.

I'm suspicious of for-profit schools in general. This example is obviously a positive turnaround story for the school.

For-profit schools drum up images of the TV commercial schools that promise a great education and job placement. After you graduate, you're in a mountain of debt, no job, and a worthless degree.

Lots of non-profit entities pay their executives million-dollar salaries, and lots of for-profit entities lose money every year. I don't think the labels really mean much other than for accounting and tax purposes. People who associate profit with greed and evil get all warm and fuzzy over something being non-profit, but in truth, it's more complicated than that.

For-profit schools drum up images of the TV commercial schools that promise a great education and job placement. After you graduate, you're in a mountain of debt, no job, and a worthless degree.
Unfortunately you could say the same for a lot of non-profit-college degrees. The problem lies much more in the administration and faculty, and in how the job market evaluates degrees (ie, just a box to be checked), and in how higher education is funded and incentivized, than with whether capital is raised from donors or investors.

In other words, I share your suspicion of for-profit-schools – but that's because I have suspicions about all for-profit humans. I call it 'total depravity.'

I'm suspicious of for-profit schools in general. This example is obviously a positive turnaround story for the school.

Communist.

I'd be a lot less suspicious of for-profit schools if it wasn't for federally guaranteed loans.
As if 'non-profit' schools haven't also profited tremendously from the market-distorting effect of federally guaranteed loans...? Only instead of the profit going to a capital investor, it goes to administrators and tenured faculty. The only question is who on campus has the power to seek and collect the profit – a shareholder, a dean, a faculty committee, a bondholder. It's not as if non-profit schools are run more efficiently than for-profits; if anything, the opposite.

The tension here is between education as a charitable endeavor (ie, Shakespeare enriches your soul) and education as a profitable endeavor (ie, credentialing, placement, job preparation). It is true that for-profits tend to emphasize the latter, but fewer and fewer non-profits are emphasizing the former.

As if 'non-profit' schools haven't also profited tremendously from the market-distorting effect of federally guaranteed loans...? Only instead of the profit going to a capital investor, it goes to administrators and tenured faculty. The only question is who on campus has the power to seek and collect the profit – a shareholder, a dean, a faculty committee, a bondholder. It's not as if non-profit schools are run more efficiently than for-profits; if anything, the opposite.

The tension here is between education as a charitable endeavor (ie, Shakespeare enriches your soul) and education as a profitable endeavor (ie, credentialing, placement, job preparation). It is true that for-profits tend to emphasize the latter, but fewer and fewer non-profits are emphasizing the former.
So, you're on a GT board arguing for a liberal arts education? Bold strategy, cotton.

So, you're on a GT board arguing for a liberal arts education? Bold strategy, cotton.
Just the opposite – but I am saying if you pitch yourself as preparing people to make money don't be surprised when people want to make money off it.

Maybe someone can tell me what is actually wrong with a for-profit school. I don't want specific school examples, I just want to know why people thumb their noses to them. Is it an ethical thing? Is it a money thing? I can never tell.
Many for-profit schools - esp ones that offer online degrees tend to admit anything with a pulse just to use the applicant/student to generate student loan income. Works like this: apply - routed to fin aid - get approved for federally-subsidized student loan - keep student in school as long as possible to continue income stream. Student/education is secondary consideration (if a consideration at all).

Back