Mediocre Zero Points Allowed

Haven't been a Coach Ted Roof fan (loved the linebacker), but this is a good start in winning everyone back. Sure as H_ ll beats the appearance of CAG's D.

Elon had 253 yards even with the shortened game. They also lead in TOP. Maybe that's a function of quick scoring. Not every qb is going to make the mistakes that guy did. Remember, this Elon team was 1-7 in the SoCo last year.

TOP was definitely a result of us scoring quickly. not a negative at all in this game. did you watch or just look at stats?

if you recall we had almost as many yards as LSU in the Peach Bowl. did we come close to winning? not so much

today was total domination by a jacked up Jackets team that did just about everything right

Elon had 253 yards even with the shortened game. They also lead in TOP. Maybe that's a function of quick scoring. Not every qb is going to make the mistakes that guy did. Remember, this Elon team was 1-7 in the SoCo last year.
th

TOP was definitely a result of us scoring quickly. not a negative at all in this game. did you watch or just look at stats?

if you recall we had almost as many yards as LSU in the Peach Bowl. did we come close to winning? not so much

I watched several third down conversions and sustained drives where their qb threw stupid passes into what was excellent coverage. I also saw that we had one sack in garbage time. Maybe Roof didn't show everything, but I expected a more aggressive defense. I also saw a lot of missed tackles which has been a problem in the past. While overall, I was pleased with the game, I expect us to have to win against better offenses by putting up a lot of points. We'll learn a little more in a couple of weeks, but I don't expect to be confident in the D until after the UNC game.

I watched several third down conversions and sustained drives where their qb threw stupid passes into what was excellent coverage. I also saw that we had one sack in garbage time. Maybe Roof didn't show everything, but I expected a more aggressive defense. I also saw a lot of missed tackles which has been a problem in the past. While overall, I was pleased with the game, I expect us to have to win against better offenses by putting up a lot of points. We'll learn a little more in a couple of weeks, but I don't expect to be confident in the D until after the UNC game.

This thread is about today's game, not future games.

This thread is about today's game, not future games.

Which part about sustained drives, timely turnovers, and third down conversions didn't pertain to today's game? The only reason to play a patsy early in the season is to prepare for future games.

Which part about sustained drives, timely turnovers, and third down conversions didn't pertain to today's game? The only reason to play a patsy early in the season is to prepare for future games.

You're bitching about a shutout. You do realize that don't you. Haven't seen many shutouts in a while so enjoy it while it lasts.

taking advantage of the opponents mistakes is good defense. the team was lit up today; they were excited, they didnt just come out and play - they made it count. 0 points given up.

of course we dont know exactly how well we will play in other games but today we played extremely well. your criticisms are a bit concocted imo

taking advantage of the opponents mistakes is good defense. the team was lit up today; they were excited, they didnt just come out and play - they made it count. 0 points given up.

of course we dont know exactly how well we will play in other games but today we played extremely well. your criticisms are a bit concocted imo

They are minor, but I don't think we can crown Ted Roof the king of defenses quite yet, as 3GT would.

The single sack is most likely due to them being option heavy. Defense can't pin their ears back and knife to the QB as much.

Time of possession and total yards are completely misleading stats. We had 6 scoring drives under 2.5 minutes and most were between about 1-2 minutes. Didn't have a drive over 2:18 until the second half.

Not to mention they had 12 drives. 21 yards/drive isn't bad. 7 punts. 6-16 third down. 4 turnovers. Definitely room to improve but a pretty good first effort.

Time of possession and total yards are completely misleading stats. We had 6 scoring drives under 2.5 minutes and most were between about 1-2 minutes. Didn't have a drive over 2:18 until the second half.

Not to mention they had 12 drives. 21 yards/drive isn't bad. 7 punts. 6-16 third down. 4 turnovers. Definitely room to improve but a pretty good first effort.

That's pretty much my point. The game went well, but not perfectly. I would be much happier if we gave up a first down here and there, but it seemed like once we were on our heels, they sustained drives for 40 or 50 yards, so it was either three and out or giving up chunks of ground.

The single sack is most likely due to them being option heavy. Defense can't pin their ears back and knife to the QB as much.
Also their passing scheme was a lot of lateral routes and underneath 3-step-drop stuff -- don't think they attempted more than about 4 medium/deep passes all game.

Back