Message To NCJacket

Father WASP

Flats Noob
If you have any, please provide some inside scoop. This morning's Charlotte Observer is saying Chancellor Fox of NC State is a holdout on expansion vote. I know she loves to go against the grain on any issue anyway, and UNC may be arm twisting. Is this just negotiating tactics, and if so, what does State want?

Duke clearly is opposed. If indeed UNC and State are against we don't have enough votes.

What is the real picture?

Originally posted by Father WASP:
If you have any, please provide some inside scoop. This morning's Charlotte Observer is saying Chancellor Fox of NC State is a holdout on expansion vote. I know she loves to go against the grain on any issue anyway, and UNC may be arm twisting. Is this just negotiating tactics, and if so, what does State want?

Duke clearly is opposed. If indeed UNC and State are against we don't have enough votes.

What is the real picture?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Father: I don't know if the papers are correct but I have a very close friend who went to State and is a contributor to the school. He told me last week that he was sure State and in particular their President was FOR expansion. He said she came from the Univ. of Texas and wants to make State a football power like Texas. He said she believes they're already on their way with Amato as coach.

He believes the media is wrong in assuming she is against it and believes that NC State would vote for expansion. He said most alumni/contributors he has talked to are all for it and know the importance to their program and the ACC.

other "sources" had earlier stated that the NCSTATE pres was the holdup.

Maybe she likes being a medium size fish in a medium size pond.

On the other hand, the president of NCSU may be solidly in favor of expansion, but the newsmedia in North Carolina is solidly against expansion and is trying to sway the people to put pressure on the president to nix expansion.

There is one thing for sure these days, most big time newspapers (comglomerates) do not report news fairly. They tend to shape the news to bring about their agenda.

wink.gif

ahoi I agree which is why I wanted to get some help. Over the past two weeks the rags have rotated the "against" schools from Wake to Duke to UNC to State, which probably proves your point that the media keep trying to sway and maybe invent something that isn't there.

Best news of the day - if it is true - is that the 3rd member may be VA Tech vs. Syracuse, which would be great news in my book. This is so muddled no one is going to know for sure until it is voted on.

Father Wasp, I have my preferences for the schools I would like, but will easily cede to the decisions of the conference.

At this time, I like Syracuse because they have always had a great basketball team and have almost always had good football teams.

Virginia Tech has only come into its own in the past few years under Frank Beamer. How do we know if the strength of VT football will stand up if Beamer takes another job in the near future? Also, will VT remain strong if they lose their defensive coordinator to another school?

Also, there have been rumors the football coach of Syracuse might be replaced after this next year if Syracuse does not improve. We could have a complete swap in the winning and losing positions of the two schools in the matter of a few years.

Over the long haul, Syracuse has been more consistent than VT in football and much more so in basketball. Also, Syracuse is not your typical NY team. I have been told it is much more like the South, since it is in upState New York.

Just a thought for those who relish the record of VT in the last fews under Beamer.

wink.gif

Don't have any special insight into what Fox may be thinking, but most State fans I know assume she's trying to position things best for State. She is a huge supporter of the football program at State and intends to see them win a National Championship. If she thinks this will help I can't believe she would be the one to stop it. However it seems like I've seen an article that claims State lost quite a bit of money in athletics last year so I'm sure she's studying the numbers closely to make sure she believes the projections are better for an expanded conference versus the current lineup. Also assume she's trying to force a divisional setup with the NC schools in the same div. The alummi are pretty insistent on that.

Interestingly it feels like State fans have come around to the idea of expansion. A lot seem to want VaTech but they appear to be fairly positive about the idea. UNC fans are divided on sports lines...those who mainly follow football are for it, the basketball only crowd is against. Duke fans seem to be ignoring things...I guess they are waiting for Coach K to tell them if they are for it or not. I'm still surprised that Wake seems to be in favor but Wellman has always struck me as a very smart AD.

My preference is to keep the conference as southern as possible. VA Tech, with their recently expanded stadium, will be a strong program with or without Beamer. I was one of those who drove up for the "lightning" game, and my impression of VPI was favorable - nice campus and good atmosphere. You can at least get there - while Syracuse is out of the question unless you fly. The travel requirements work both ways - Im not sure how many Syracuse fans are going to consistently follow their team on the road, while I think VA Tech fans would bring plenty to Atlanta and other places to elevate the atmosphere and create some rivalries. VA Tech/Virginia would be an in-state, in conference game with alot of ramifications in most years.

Not many have mentioned it, but I am not so sure Pittsburgh may not be a stronger school for us to pull in than BC. I haven't seen tv market data, but Pitt is now playing in the new Heinz stadium and has a strong basketball program to bring.

As a BC person... have no fear, the Boston market is huge and they are the only great college presence in the Northeast (New England States). BC's sports programs have enjoyed consistent success over the last 19 years and continue to grow. BC has a gorgeous New England campus and area offers lots of sites and entertainment. This is a great place in the Fall!! Fact: the metro-Boston area within a 60 mile radius has more major colleges and universities then any other metropolitan area. It's a very academic environment. BC is a private/catholic university that extends nationally and internationally to its students and faculty.

They have a stadium that they enhanced about 4 years ago and continually pack it - about 60,000. They travel extremely well and are superior fans. They also have a fairly new basketball arena in the Sylvio Conte Center which opened about 5 years ago. Seats about 13,000. They also do well in basketball being in the Big East and games are very well attended. BC has made the NCAA more then 80% of the time over the last 15 years.

BC would be a very positive addition to the ACC and I look forward to my school being a part of this conference.

I'm excited about the possibility of them joining this conference and feel great about 2 schools in the ACC I can connect with!!!
smile.gif

Back