Michael Johnson: Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
http://www.nfl.com/manoftheyear

CIN_2017.jpg

Michael Johnson is a leader on the team and in the community, both in Cincinnati and his hometown of Selma, Ala. From helping to build a playground during Hometown Huddle to supporting the Marvin Lewis Community Fund's Shop with a Pro during the holiday season, Michael is always one of the first players to volunteer. "Michael is a role model on and off the field," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "He truly enjoys doing good work and never hesitates to get involved. We can always count on him to step up and help the community in a big way."

Michael has been committed to giving back since his rookie season in the league. The mission of his MJ93-90 Foundation is to educate children on the importance of capitalizing on their talents and abilities with mentorship, educational programming and encouragement to have a vision for success. Every spring, his foundation hosts a kid's cheer and football camp. The camp teaches kids the fundamentals of the game and is preceded by a college and career fair. Another popular initiative Michael hosts is his annual back-to-school "Sunday Fun Day," where kids receive backpacks and supplies to prepare them for the upcoming school year.

Two years ago, Michael started a program encouraging kids and the Cincinnati Police Department to strengthen their relationship in the community. This year's program includes a community service component where kids and officers volunteer together. The kids engage in a question and answer session with officers to discuss any concerns they have about law enforcement and the current climate in America. After the event, the kids and officers are given tickets to the upcoming Bengals game. Michael explains, "The goal is to get kids and officers working side by side for the betterment of the community and to learn from each other, which can ultimately lead to a stronger bond and a safer community. We are one team with one goal in one community so I encourage everyone to ask themselves: Are you part of the problem or are you part of the solution?"

While many of his efforts focus on improving the lives of children, military veterans also hold an important place in Michael's heart. Michael's father is a Purple Heart recipient, and every fall Michael hosts a brunch honoring veterans who have served our country. Michael has been a staple of generosity, commitment and betterment to improve the lives of others in Cincinnati and Alabama.

After being selected as a third-round draft pick, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis stated that Michael may be "one of the best pass rushers he has ever worked with." In his 9th season, 8 of which have been with the Bengals, Michael has had a combined total of 332 tackles and has played in 131 games, starting in 95.

When he came out the Falcons needed a pass rusher and they stupidly passed on MJ.

I played a small role in MJ's story at Tech, and I remember his parents are really great folks. Great to see him live up to his promise, both as a player and as a person.

I’m a Bears fan and a fan of sweetness. Phenomenal award. Michael exudes progress and service. I will always be fond of his time at Tech, and the memory of his pick six is ingrained in my mind forever. He’s a great man and I wish him all the best.

I’m a Bears fan and a fan of sweetness. Phenomenal award. Michael exudes progress and service. I will always be fond of his time at Tech, and the memory of his pick six is ingrained in my mind forever. He’s a great man and I wish him all the best.
I was at the game Sweetness was ejected from.

He was robbed.

Wish these guys would come back to GT for a game or something

You talking about the Miami game? Cold as hell? NASA flyover?

And congrats to MJ. A great representative of GT and the NFL

You talking about the Miami game? Cold as hell? NASA flyover?

And congrats to MJ. A great representative of GT and the NFL

The game he is referring to was 08 Miami on a Thursday night. If that's the one you're referring to yes. 06 Miami flyover was intense too. Not sure if 08 had a flyover

Very proud of Michael Johnson. So many of our players become exceptional citizens whether they go on to play in the NFL or enter into other careers. We need to tell a story and recognize that alum at every home game. Have these successful people there to meet recruits. The best sell for playing football at Tech is to tell the stories of success of our grads.

Congrats MJ, well deserved. Proud of how you represent yourself and the Institute.

The game he is referring to was 08 Miami on a Thursday night. If that's the one you're referring to yes. 06 Miami flyover was intense too. Not sure if 08 had a flyover

Yeah. That’s the one. I think NASA flew over the stadium

Very proud of Michael Johnson. So many of our players become exceptional citizens whether they go on to play in the NFL or enter into other careers. We need to tell a story and recognize that alum at every home game. Have these successful people there to meet recruits. The best sell for playing football at Tech is to tell the stories of success of our grads.
This infinity. It’d be very easy to do and absolutely couldn’t hurt with recruiting.

attachment_php.jpg

I remember this dude at about 210 lbs when he was a freshman.

Back