Mike Matthews

Arkansas Jacket Fan

Varsity Lurker
I e-mailed Coach Gailey regarding our lack of depth on the D-line last week. In particular asked about moving Matthews back to Defensive End and Brian Johnson getting a shot at Def Tackle since Dixon would be getting most of the playing time at fullback. The response I got was that the coaches did not feel that either would be able to help on the D-line and would be better off at fullback until "they could find a different position." What other position??? I thought Matthews was going to be a monster at def end. If he is going to sit on the bench seems like he would be better at Def end where we have no depth. Why carry so many players for one position with Dixon, Matthews, Johnson (injured?), Jackson (?)

As`I have posted before, Chan Gailey does not like college football players.

He has no idea what quality players are relative to the college game.
That is why you will continue to see Tech get their butts kicked by college coaches.

I knew that it was bs being put out about Mathews at FB in the Spring.You don't switch from lineman to a skill(even semi-skilled) position instantly.The fact he is not playing speaks volumes.Even more so when you consider that Dixon(the strong RB in hi school) is learning the position as a blocker and the ONE time he touches the ball ,he fumbles.Gee,I wonder why we can't score any TDs.

Let me see if I understand this - Matthews is 2nd on the depth chart at FB. Not 12th.

BTW, he was never even in the 3 deep at DL last year.

But you feel he will be wasted at FB - what was it, then, a publicity move??

Perchance, did you even see Matthews play any time at FB in either the spring or fall? I'm going out on a limb and say you saw zero minutes of Matthews at FB - maybe you saw him at least in the Spring game (surely a die-hard GT fan like yourself has attended numerous scrimmages and pracitces???). I would bet you saw very little practice time because Matthews has in fact shown a lot at FB - he actually looked better in the spring than in the fall, IMO, which is probably why

a.) The 'experiment' was made permanent after the spring and
b.) Dixon was able to get the 1st string job back at FB in the fall.

man, I love these fonts who have the intuitave knowledge of who should be playing where without ever even needing to see a down of practice. If only you would project your skills onto the stock market, GT could be able to buy any coach we ever wanted!

Originally posted by AlaGold:
I knew that it was bs being put out about Mathews at FB in the Spring.You don't switch from lineman to a skill(even semi-skilled) position instantly.The fact he is not playing speaks volumes.Even more so when you consider that Dixon(the strong RB in hi school) is learning the position as a blocker and the ONE time he touches the ball ,he fumbles.Gee,I wonder why we can't score any TDs.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">FYI, Mike played TE in High School (A skill position).

I read somewhere that Gailey had said that Matthews didn't have a defensive mindset; and that he would not be moved back to defense.

Sorry TIAR,B. I didn't mean this post to sound like it may have come across. I am not claiming to be an expert on who should play where. I simply saw a lack of depth on the d line and asked a question to coach Gailey. I never said or thought Matthews was going to be wasted as a second string fullback. However, as I said in my post, Coach gailey said that he would be better served at fullback "until we can find a better position fit for him" Doesn't sound permanent to me.

Originally posted by Arkansas Jacket Fan:
I thought Matthews was going to be a monster at def end. If he is going to sit on the bench seems like he would be better at Def end where we have no depth. Why carry so many players for one position with Dixon, Matthews, Johnson (injured?), Jackson (?)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There is a huge difference between the mentality of a player on offense compared to defense. The mental aspect of Matthews game is better suited for offense...as is Johnson. I spoke to Matthews at Fan Photo Day...and I do not think he would mind me repeating this...I asked him if he would see any DL with all of the casualties and he said "I love being on offense...I am a fullback...and will be there 100% of the time."

I totally agree with the difference in off and def. mindset, but geezzz we don't have the luxury right now.

Even if he isn't the greatest DE in the nation, but if he could get 6-10 plays a game, and hold his own, that alone might make it worthwhile...Certianly better than sitting on the bench, not contributing at all.

I kept seeing those TV shots of our whole DL on the bench (BYU game) and they had nothing left - nothing after the 3rd quarter

Back