Monday Practice Report....

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Chris Dunlap is showing me stuff. He played really well today. He runs good routes for a freshman who is learning the offense and he catches everything around him. I also like how he goes up and gets the ball. He was seriously underrated as a recruit and he will see the field.

Reggie Ball looked particularly good today. He read through his progressions which is a good sign for a true freshman. On a couple of plays when it wasn't there....he didn't forced it he ran for 10 yds. Guys, I don't want to much expectations for this kid and it is early in practice, but he made me smile a few times. One perfectly thrown pass to Levon about 40 yds in air for a definite touchdown (but levon dropped it) was one of his better plays. He is small, reminds me of a fast Joe Ham in that respect (of course no one compares to Joe...at least right now). Ball suprised me today. No comment on the other QBs for a while....

Chris Woods continues to show some good ability. He had a nice run that probably would have gone for 20 up the gut. Also juked a DB in the open field on a nice move. I am excited about him, if he doesn't end up #2, he will be #3....heck depending on how things unfold (injuries...etc) he could be the starter. Of course that is if he keeps it up and continues to improve (also needs to learn to block better). He wears #24. Maybe there is something about that number
wink.gif

Defense is tough. The DL seems undersized, but they will smack you. Wrotto made a nice TFL while shedding a lineman and slamming the RB. Henderson is a beast. They can't seem to slow him down. Wilkinson may have gained weight over the summer...not sure though. He looks bigger. LBs looked good. Secondary wasn't as crisp as on Sunday, but played well (might be b/c the O is getting it together).

All in all a VERY good effort and practice today. It was intense, alot of urgency. You could see it with every pass and step the players took. Still inconsistent and sloppy at times from all positions....but the effort was there.

Also, if anyone has Qs let me know and I will answer them. I won't be able to post for a while (out of town on business) but should get back to it on monday.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Any word on the FBs? How does Matthews look?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He had some nice blocks...but also had troubling catching the ball today, which is odd b/c normally he has great hands. I hope it was just a bad day for him in that regard. He is playing with the first team (I think Dixon is still semi-injured). Brian Johnson didn't look bad. He had some nice catches turning it up the field.

Thanks 33, so much for the report:

"Henderson is a beast"//////// You have perceived the truth!!!!!!! He is jacked and READY to DESTROY!!! (even as a Christian) Love this young man!!!!!

All other statements believed and heartily accepted...thanks again

So Woods may pass at least two of Grant, Ace, P.J. and Hatch? Also, anything new on K-Scott? I'm excited about him...I like the attitude.
wink.gif

Good news about Henderson. He made some big plays last year. Looks like he is progressing. He could be a big surprise this year.

Originally posted by 33jacket:
Chris Dunlap is showing me stuff. He played really well today. He runs good routes for a freshman who is learning the offense and he catches everything around him. I also like how he goes up and gets the ball. He was seriously underrated as a recruit and he will see the field.

Reggie Ball looked particularly good today. He read through his progressions which is a good sign for a true freshman. On a couple of plays when it wasn't there....he didn't forced it he ran for 10 yds. Guys, I don't want to much expectations for this kid and it is early in practice, but he made me smile a few times. One perfectly thrown pass to Levon about 40 yds in air for a definite touchdown (but levon dropped it) was one of his better plays. He is small, reminds me of a fast Joe Ham in that respect (of course no one compares to Joe...at least right now). Ball suprised me today. No comment on the other QBs for a while....

Chris Woods continues to show some good ability. He had a nice run that probably would have gone for 20 up the gut. Also juked a DB in the open field on a nice move. I am excited about him, if he doesn't end up #2, he will be #3....heck depending on how things unfold (injuries...etc) he could be the starter. Of course that is if he keeps it up and continues to improve (also needs to learn to block better). He wears #24. Maybe there is something about that number
wink.gif

Defense is tough. The DL seems undersized, but they will smack you. Wrotto made a nice TFL while shedding a lineman and slamming the RB. Henderson is a beast. They can't seem to slow him down. Wilkinson may have gained weight over the summer...not sure though. He looks bigger. LBs looked good. Secondary wasn't as crisp as on Sunday, but played well (might be b/c the O is getting it together).

All in all a VERY good effort and practice today. It was intense, alot of urgency. You could see it with every pass and step the players took. Still inconsistent and sloppy at times from all positions....but the effort was there.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Your reports are excellent. I really enjoy reading them. That being said,at the Kickoff Banquet Coach Gailey said he was monitoring the Hive, not Sting Talk, and he didn't want to see any detailed or informational practice reports. If he started to see them, he would close practice. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but just make you aware of what he said in a forceful manner. Coach seems a little too concerned with the internet. As I said your reports are great just be aware of Coach's concerns.

How are the transfer guys from MB looking? I'm assuming that since they're already familiar with the college game the speed isn't as much of an issue as the schemes.

Thanks.If another coach can't get useful information then your reports are benign enough.I certainly didn't see anything that another team could use..

Rambler, I don't think these reports will even blip on CG's radar. The article yesterday in the AUC went into more details on formation and schemes. Now if the reports started including how we lined up offensively (personnel/position) outside the norm or secret plays, then that be a different story.

Back