More Expansion News.....

law_bee

Dodd-Like
This is from MMA1 on Warchant. He is probably the best source going right now.

ACC Expansion: As the ACC turns: Part Three Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will try to advise the best I can without posting items that I was told not to post. After you read this, you will be thinking where the connection is. That means there are items there I was told not to post. The next Conference Call will held either tomorrow, June 24, 2003 or Wednesday, June 25, 2003. This WILL be a call to vote. We believe by this Thursday, the ACC will expand. These are the issues:

The last Tele-Conference: Was quite progressive because it defined everybody’s position and they are about ready to vote. Many scenarios were discussed and these are the ones on the table:

A) A 13 Team ACC with UM, SU, BC and VT.

B) A 12 Team ACC with UM, VT and either SU or BC.

C) UM only.

It is 50-50 for the first two and less than 1% for the last one.

The second one could happen but it would make too many unhappy. For example, if SU was left out, this would not please FSU, NCSU (Fox’s relationship with Schalala) and of course BC and UM. VT must be included in the expansion because it cannot happen without them. They are not thinking too well if they think this is just a “Smoke Screen”. ACC expansion to 12 or 13 schools cannot happen without UVA’s 7th yes vote.

The Presidents are concerned about managing a 13-team league. It would be very difficult and that is why this might not happen. The last time a Conference this large was the 16 team old WAC, with the 5 times zones in 13 different states. This turned out to be a disaster. The financials for 13 teams are not that great, but the real value of expansion will not be realized within 5 years anyway. We have learned under this model, the league would need another team to get the bowl ties and scheduling balance it would need. We can understand their concern. There is no talk about who the 14th team might be. Since VT offers nothing but a excellent FB program (Their all-sports standing has them behind Liberty Univ..that is Jerry Faldwell U.), this makes it a very tough decision.

Financials: Confidential, but I did learn that a 13 team has most concerned. However, with more bowl ties-ins and a little better Basketball deal, it would make a better case.

How the Current ACC membership stands:

1. UNC: As we stated, they have never wanted expansion and still don’t. It is a fact that they will vote for UM only. The reason is we found out that Dean Smith, himself is now heavily involved in the process. He does not want expansion in the ACC.

2. Duke: Nan Keohane seems to be in line with UNC. She will allow UM only.

3. UVA: As we all know, will vote YES if only VT is part of the expansion.

4. Wake: Favors the 12 Team model, but would consider the 13 team model. They will NOT vote against expansion because they would lose Prosser and Grobe if they did. We learned that both signed 10 year contracts with the understanding that Wake would be pro-expansion.

5. UMD, Clemson and GT: Want expansion and may be willing to vote for the 13 team model if necessary.

6. FSU: Wants the 12 team model with UM, BC and SU. However they understand that VT must be included. We believe that TK (FSU Pres.) will do what is necessary to get this done and that does not include the UM only scenario.

Why does UNC and Duke now want only UM when the both voted the first time to expand with BC and SU?
Most of the answer was in the last post I started (ACC Part II) . However, we learned they are both willing to vote for UM to try to appease FSU! They are most concerned about FSU leaving the ACC if no expansion takes place. This is a “Throw them a bone and see if they bite” tactic and it seems that FSU was not thrilled about it. They also feel a level of authority in the ACC lessening if the Conference expands to 12 or 13 schools.

The Vote: Right now, it looks like it could be the 13 team model, because if a 12 team model is voted on, it must include VT and that means SU or BC is left out.

The UM only and “Promise” of a possible 2 team expansion later (Two years) is a gimmick of UNC and Duke. This was just to try to see how FSU would react. They were not too thrilled. We know that if FSU did go for this, UNC and Duke would again vote NO in 2 years and again, VT would have to be included to get UVA’s YES vote for 2 more teams. In other words, unless the Conference is willing to abandon BC or SU without losing UM in the process, we believe the 13 team scenario is most likely to happen. May the good lord give us the strength and power to run this monster right!!

**Always subject to change!!!!

And, of course, I will gladly answer any questions you might have. I will be on-line all week and will have inside details in a after action once the final vote takes place.

Posted on 6/23 9:25 PM | IP: Logged
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1079&tid=19290504&sid=&style=2

Well, I'd love to see VT but their only sport worth crap is football. Cuse brings football, tremendous bball, however no baseball team. Miami is a sure deal , even thoug their bball team is bad. BC is fairly good in all sports but academics is outstanding. Who knows. Long story short, if it were up to me it would be either......1) Miami, BC, VT
or..........2) Miami, BC, Syracuse.

Thsi whole thing has me perplexed.
confused.gif

Thanks law-bee. Maybe after we get the expansion to 13 teams, we can vote out North Carolina and Duke. We could then bring in another team making it 12 again.

grin.gif

Back