Moses Wright = Lottery pick

Beeski

Damn Good Rat
The combination of size, coordination, touch, athletic ability, rebounding, shooting and ability to learn is rare.
I would think a 22 year old seasoned player is more appealing than a one-and-done wunderkind with lots of unknowns.
Correct me if I am wrong.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
He definitely had upside potential, but he is far from a finished product. @05GTCorndog mentioned his low post skills, but I think he still needs a lot of work on things like a good drop step to get the defender in the air and his touch around the hoop on the short jumper.

Given his limited experience to date, it does appear that he can get there though.

05GTCorndog

Dodd-Like
I think he could be a 2nd round pick or even make a team (or developmental league) as an undrafted player. He has shown the ability to hit outside jumpers when he is willing to take them). If he can continue to develop that part of his game, I think his length and athleticism translate to the next level. I'm just not sure that that part of his game is developed enough to convince a team to draft him.

Not many 22-year-olds get drafted as a lottery pick.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The combination of size, coordination, touch, athletic ability, rebounding, shooting and ability to learn is rare.
I would think a 22 year old seasoned player is more appealing than a one-and-done wunderkind with lots of unknowns.
LarryDavid.gif

1982Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You're wrong.

The NBA drafts on potential upside, not "seasoning."

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
Get real guys. Moses was a 1 star coming out of HS and I read on Stingtalk that Pastner hasn't developed anyone since he became coach.
Might have nothing to do with coaching, rather personal growth and improvement. David Robinson became a lottery pick, but it had nothing to do with the coaching he got at the Naval Academy. As proof, I don't think they have had any players go pro since.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
Might have nothing to do with coaching, rather personal growth and improvement. David Robinson became a lottery pick, but it had nothing to do with the coaching he got at the Naval Academy. As proof, I don't think they have had any players go pro since.
I was wrong. They've had 2 players go in the 2nd round in the late 90s.

JelloJacket

Damn Good Rat
Not sure David Robinson is the best example of people improving in spite of coaching. He grew 12" after high school. Also I have no idea who was coaching at Navy back then but both Knight and K coached at Army so the academies have had at least a couple of good coaches roll through even if they didn't put anyone in the NBA.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I think it's pretty amazing how much better he is now than he used to be. But you gotta watch some NBA if you think he's anywhere near the skill level and athletic talent level of NBA lottery picks (ie, top four pick).

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Ban Hammer'd
I think it's pretty amazing how much better he is now than he used to be. But you gotta watch some NBA if you think he's anywhere near the skill level and athletic talent level of NBA lottery picks (ie, top four pick).

Or some old Georgia Tech game tapes

18in32

Petard Hoister
Or some old Georgia Tech game tapes
You'll get no argument from me that Pastner has been an inadequate recruiter. But lottery picks are not exactly the right way to measure that... Bobby Cremins had 3 lottery picks in 19 seasons, and Hewitt (ugh) had 2 lottery picks in 11 seasons. They've never been annual occurrences around here.

BigGTMike

2020 Stingtalk Poker Player of the Year
Look he's had a fantastic four games, but let's not go crazy. At this point, if he gets drafted at all, he's mid-late 2nd rounder and unfortunately the NBA trend is to have those picks go to foreign players that the teams stash away in overseas pro leagues for years.

His best skill is actually his hands; he catches everything cleanly, allowing him to get into his moves quickly or keep the ball moving.

He's come a long, long way from the recruit that it almost looked painful for him to run the length of the court. Glad he represents our institute.

johncu

Dodd-Like
You'll get no argument from me that Pastner has been an inadequate recruiter. But lottery picks are not exactly the right way to measure that... Bobby Cremins had 3 lottery picks in 19 seasons, and Hewitt (ugh) had 2 lottery picks in 11 seasons. They've never been annual occurrences around here.
That’s a bit of a misleading stat, IMO. Hewitt had the following players drafted in the 1st round:
Bosh - 4th
Jack - 22nd
Crittenton - 19th
Young - 12th
Favors - 3rd
Shumpert - 17th

While only 2 are technically lottery picks, 4 more were very close and might as well have been.

The funny thing is, though, Pastner has a better career ACC record than Hewitt, despite Hewitt rolling in McD AAs and Pastner having to play guys like Corey Heyward.

18in32

Petard Hoister
That’s a bit of a misleading stat, IMO. Hewitt had the following players drafted in the 1st round:
Bosh - 4th
Jack - 22nd
Crittenton - 19th
Young - 12th
Favors - 3rd
Shumpert - 17th

While only 2 are technically lottery picks, 4 more were very close and might as well have been.

The funny thing is, though, Pastner has a better career ACC record than Hewitt, despite Hewitt rolling in McD AAs and Pastner having to play guys like Corey Heyward.
I'm definitely not trying to defend Pastner's recruiting record, which has been poor IMHO.

But the OP said lottery picks and he was wrong about that. And FWIW I don't think getting drafted 22d is practically the same as getting drafted 4th. There's usually a handful of guys the whole league is salivating over, players that GM's build teams around. Then there are guys like Shumpert and Crittenton who are great college players but only good role NBA players who may or may not make a career of it up there.

+1 on the relative importance of 'talent' vs. 'coaching' though... According to my eye test, Pastner is a better X's and O's coach than Gregory or Hewitt, by a good margin, in fact. And he's winning more than them, too.

People forget just how far we've fallen. We made the NCAA for 9 straight years (84-85 to 92-93), but the last of those 'glory years' was almost 30 years ago! After that, Cremins went 0.429 in ACC play over his final 7 years (with 1 winning record in conference, the Marbury year), Hewitt went 0.409 in ACC play over his 11 years (with 1 winning record in conference, the Final 4 year), Gregory went 0.307 in ACC play over his 5 years (with 0 winning records in conference), and now Pastner has gone 0.419 in conference – with 1 winning record in conference, last year.

But yeah, people want to fire him the year after he accomplishes something done all of 2 times in the previous 27 years of Tech basketball. Sheesh.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
I'm definitely not trying to defend Pastner's recruiting record, which has been poor IMHO.

But the OP said lottery picks and he was wrong about that. And FWIW I don't think getting drafted 22d is practically the same as getting drafted 4th.
Just a quibble, but I think there are 14 (or is it 16?) lottery picks in the NBA. Every team that does make the playoffs is in the lottery. Shumpert and Crit were pretty darn close under that measure.