Mr. Excitement is a Genius!

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Everyone is now settling in for a long fall season. Medication at arm's reach, Tech fans are "prepared" for the worst.
Gailey may not be a great college football coach, but he is a genius. Think about it.
Two years ago, he was a former failed Pro head coach working as a assistant. Now he is getting paid $1,000,000 a year to produce squat. He was a genius to get the Tech/retirement job in the first place, and he is now a genius to start a freshman QB to buy time to continue making $1,000,000 for a few more years. When he is finally fired/retired, he will have millions in the bank that he will laugh all the way to (maybe skipping as well). Ma and Pa Gailey's ship has finally come in (he was only paid 500 thousand to coach Dallas).
Who among us can claim to be making $1,000,000 a year with no current achievements? Who among us can say that they are financially preparing for retirement at the expense of thousands of dedicated supporters? He is one lucky guy, and one heck of an all-around good person.
Here's to Mr. Excitement!!! The American Dream is still alive!!!
BOO

I like what he's doing in recruiting so far. If he could just land some hog interior linemen! Got a hunch that will be addressed soon.

BDG - There is certainly an element of truth in your post.Mr.Gailey is in an absolutely prime "win/win" situation and knows it.He will either produce results or go to the house with a nice "golden parachute." This may be why he is so low-key with his approach to the fans and media.Why make an effort to do something at which you are not comfortable if you don't have to.This financial arrangement is similar to the deals that many CEO's structure for themselves and IMHO tends to negate any pressure to succeed.
That is why I favor our next hire (whether it be in 1-2 years or 15 years) to be a young,aggressive type who is trying to make a name for himself(see Bobby Cremins)and make pay more closely tied to performance.

FWIW, I don't fault Chan for being in this position (I am in neither CCG "camp" at this point in time - I am waiting to see what the rest of the year brings).I think most of us would take a deal like this.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Everyone is now settling in for a long fall season. Medication at arm's reach, Tech fans are "prepared" for the worst.
Gailey may not be a great college football coach, but he is a genius. Think about it.
Two years ago, he was a former failed Pro head coach working as a assistant. Now he is getting paid $1,000,000 a year to produce squat. He was a genius to get the Tech/retirement job in the first place, and he is now a genius to start a freshman QB to buy time to continue making $1,000,000 for a few more years. When he is finally fired/retired, he will have millions in the bank that he will laugh all the way to (maybe skipping as well). Ma and Pa Gailey's ship has finally come in (he was only paid 500 thousand to coach Dallas).
Who among us can claim to be making $1,000,000 a year with no current achievements? Who among us can say that they are financially preparing for retirement at the expense of thousands of dedicated supporters? He is one lucky guy, and one heck of an all-around good person.
Here's to Mr. Excitement!!! The American Dream is still alive!!!
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ghost.. Almost had a hernia reading your post.. You forgot one thing, tho.. In addition to starting Ball to buy time gailey is also hitting the recruiting trail hard, racking up verbals to keep the electorate happy... Any high schooler who has a pulse is a potential "recruit"... If you & I touched up our gray with grecian formula we'd probably get an "invite"...

Originally posted by B:
I am waiting to see what the rest of the year brings.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">B,
Have the Maalox and Pepto-Bismol ready.....in quantity.

You will need it.

Originally posted by JJacket:
BDG, why do you even post this crap?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
Where else can I post said crap and reap such a beautiful bouquet as you?
laugh.gif

BOO

The lack of (real)Off Linemen is a BIGGGGG IF.I've said it before,we will be playing flag fball in 2 yrs at the rate we are getting top notch large OLs.(DLs are also a problem if that Fr doesn't recover fully from that leg injury)
We rushed for 105 yds Thurs with decent talent.Think what happens when they go.Someone isn't just magically going replace them and we ROLL on.

No doubt. Chan's been showing some excellent stuff in the recruiting dept. since he's been here. Surprising many. The kicker, Cismesia, just one case in point. I'm betting he realizes we need some beeg boys for our interior line both offense and defense and will provide. TECH can get skill players and cover needs with athletes but we need some hogs. Badly. Surely there are some big, corn-fed boys out there that want to be engineers. Recruiting will be Chan's salvation or undoing.

originally posted by beebad

Any high schooler who has a pulse is a potential "recruit"... If you & I touched up our gray with grecian formula we'd probably get an "invite"...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Honestly beenad, that's how most colleges run their recruiting programs. I coached HS football and guys that you know will never make it at the college level get letters by the ton...the important point you make is that GT is picking up VERBALS from some good looking f-ball players.

Gnats...

That is one area he will have to Recruit HARD The OL...Im really excited about (OLEARY NEVER WAS ABLE TO PULL EM IN) the way he has made the extra effort to get BIG Def.TACKLES...

Like Ahso said: I was disappointed somewhat in the play of our OL last Thursday Night.. They were ok on Pass Protection BUT our Running game never got going...I do think P.J. Didnt l;ook especially sharp..I look forward to seeing Woods some...

Very good pionts made about the money involved.

I don't know about all of you blind loyalists, but I have hard earned cash invovled in this.

It isn't just Gailey. "Coach" Braine is sitting on a FAT deal. He can collect checks, make a decision, and then tells us all to f'off.

Stay tuned....

I am inventing a system to pay coaches. You get paid for the good things you do, you get docked for the bad things you do, and you get BIG bonuses for things you excel at. This means crap gets paid crap, mediocroty gets paid average, and promising hope gets paid well.

Any high schooler who has a pulse is a potential "recruit"... If you & I touched up our gray with grecian formula we'd probably get an "invite"...

Unfortunately, it requires a pulse and "smarts" these days to be a potential Jacket recruit....which pretty much leaves you two idiots out in the cold.

Back