My maturation as a football fan

GaJake15

Varsity Lurker
An unimaginable ideology has become apparent to me. I no longer hate GT or UT (scratch UT), UF, Auburn, or Clemson anymore. It takes too much energy to wish negativity towards these programs. Unless they are playing UGA and then I hope their game play is diminished, but otherwise I hope they play well.
I've realized that the greatness of your opponent validities the accomplishments you make against them. If your opponents stink and you win, what does it matter? On the other hand, if your opponents are good and you win then your victories are meaningful. I don't want to see GT with a loss up until the game with UGA and the same goes with all of the teams that UGA plays. Furthermore, there are a lot of young men from this state, GA, that are on each of these teams and I like to see the local athletes do well no matter who they play for. It makes the rest of us that either know them or played against these guys in high school have a connection to a talent level that we only dreamed of.
I've never really "hated" other football programs (except Tennessee. that damn rocky top is freaking annoying. you know it. Spurrier was the only thing I hated about UF.) but I did like to see them lose, until the past couple of years or so. You see, in the military, I was stationed in the Tacoma, WA. PAC-10 heaven. Up there, it was amazing for me to hear how overrated the south east teams were and how the PAC-10 and Mountain West conferences were better and played tougher schedules. I argued with the “slack 10’ers” bringing up the great football teams of the past and present and through these debates I developed a tremendous respect for what we’ve got in college football here in the south. I was subject to many PAC-10, defenseless football games on television. Thank goodness for ESPN and the occasional southern football game.
Since moving back home I have gained respect for every program and wish them well. I can handle ignorant fan talk, since most of these people have never played sports at any competitive level, and understand that they do not represent the team they root for. I know UGAgers are stereotyped as dumb rednecks, GT fans as geeks, UF fans as geeky rednecks, UT fans as Appalachian hillbillies, Auburn fans as, well, Alabama natives, and Clemson fans as drunk, rednecks. The fact is that these stereotypes are true to a very small extent. Only the fans that stand out get noticed and the rest of us get their label stuck to our hat.

I've digressed.

My point is that you've got to realize a team is only as good as their opponent. Southern Cal's PAC-10 schedule will bite them in the butt come BCS time, so not to worry with them. I really feel GT will beat Miami this weekend. It seems when this team has something to prove, they prove it. The problem is that once they prove it they lay back and try to coast. That's a no-no for college football down here in the south. There are no football teams down here that you can lay down against. None. Not UNC, not Vandy, not Duke, not Miss St or anyone else. Finally, GT, beat Miami. Don't lose anymore after that until November 27 and then go on to win your bowl game. Represent this state and legacy on a national scale. Don't let Miami come in and make a mockery of their new conference. Good luck. Kick Miami's ass.

'15, welcome to StingTalk and thanks for the good wishes!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Back