My report from Nashville

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
The game was dreadful for 3.8 quarters. Both teams looked very very poor. Thankfully the last 3 minutes plus overtime was thrilling (and in a good way). In fact, I can't recall 3 consecutive big plays for Tech as I saw Saturday night. Bam Bam Bam. Blocked FG. Ball's dive. Butler's INT. Special teams. Offense. Defense. The whole team -- that is how you win games. I hope that is what the boys take away from that game.

This is the first game I've attended this year, and you really can see a lot at the game that you can't on TV.

That said, we have offensive problems. Reggie regressed. He was not sharp, his throws were mostly off target and telegraphed. He looked tenative even on the balls that were caught. Where is they guy from the first half at FSU? In Reggie's defense the first INT was as much Curry's fault because the route was attrocious. I will say that Reggie obviously has moxie by stepping up and "personally" making some plays at the end. He's not a loser.

I don't know why we don't have any shotgun plays. It baffles me that we were still running play action under 2 minutes with 89 yards to go down 7. I also kept wondering while we stalled why we don't have any plays designed for Reggie to run. His feet are a dangerous weapon and we didn't use them until HE DECIDED to on that 45 yard scramble.

It seems to me that one of our strengths would be smart kids, if nothing else. After 4 games, why do we still run an offense that can be grasped by high school freshmen? If smart kids aren't challenged then they will become bored and disinterested. The boys looked bored and disinterested Saturday until we were losing with 2 minutes left.

You may be fooled into thinking at least the defense is ok. I'm not convinced. Vandy obviously failed to watch any film on us. They consistently slammed the ball right into our line. When they finally went to a shotgun in the 4th quarter guess what happened? They scored an effortless TD and drove for a game winning FG in 25 seconds. If they ran a shotgun offense the whole game I think they win 31-17.

Our corners play 10 to 15 yards off the line and then back pedal. Even when we blitz. Even when we play zone we don't recognize the recievers in the zone and pick them up. I saw Vandy's recievers run past Cox a couple times.

The whole scheme is play strong against the run and don't give up big plays in the passing game. Getting off the field is dependant on getting to the QB since we allow teams to dink and dunk down the field. When we don't do a great job there people are open.

The squib kick thing worked well the first two times because Vandy was caught off guard. The next two times Vandy fielded it and ended up with great field position. Bad idea to continue this IMO.

In the end a win is a win and it doesn't really matter how you got it. I was glad to see that the team had what it takes when the situation dictated. Its been a long time since we've been able to do that on all sides of the ball with the game on the line.

NC State will present the toughest matchup yet for our defense. Their offense may be the most balanced we'll see all year with the trio of Rivers, McClendon, and Cotchery. Conversely their defense has given up some points so our offense has another good chance to break out. Hopefully the emotion will carry over into this weekend.

By the way, I am not attempting to go off the deep end with my amature's take. I'm not a Chan basher, nor do I blindly assume everything the staff does is 100% correct. I just call it like I saw it and support the team.

We had a very nice crowd on hand by the way. I'd say maybe 20% of the fans were there to cheer for Tech.

Originally posted by kirbee:
We had a very nice crowd on hand by the way. I'd say maybe 20% of the fans were there to cheer for Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Has anyone seen an attendence figure for this game? I think I've seen more people at a few Alabama high school state playoff games, and no I am not kidding.

I hope we have more people there if we ever play at Vandy again. Nashville is a great place to visit, and the weather this time of year is absolutely perfect. Pretty much the only bad thing about the trip was the game itself (until the last 3 plays).

Originally posted by chilidogking:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by kirbee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Has anyone seen an attendence figure for this game? I think I've seen more people at a few Alabama high school state playoff games, and no I am not kidding.

I hope we have more people there if we ever play at Vandy again. Nashville is a great place to visit, and the weather this time of year is absolutely perfect. Pretty much the only bad thing about the trip was the game itself (until the last 3 plays).
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I read in the Tennessean Sunday morning that there were over 25K in attendance.

I grew up going to Vandy games as a kid and I really felt bad for them. I was there last time they beat UT back in '83 (also the last time they went to a bowl). The way they lost that game summed up their recent football history. I'd say 25k at the game is generous because it wasn't half full. Sad, because it was such a nice evening for football.

I really don't see why they can't at least compete every now and then. Their curriculum is broader than ours and they have places to put athletes (Peabody).

Back