My sources say Ted Roof for DC

The V

Dodd-Like
Enough of this, 'he is one of us', if that was the case, Peper Roger and Bill Curry would still be coaching and working at GT.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
2000 was actually solid.

2001's not-so-impressive defensive performances:

Clemson 44-47 (L)
Virginia 38-39 (L)
Wake Forest 38-33 (W)

It wasn't nearly as bad as '99 and not as bad as our recent defenses have been, but not particularly good either. We started that season #10 and were considered a darkhorse for the MNC. That abysmal performance against Clemson killed it.
I don't know about the Virginia or Wake Forest games, but dude, 2001 Clemson was a senior Woodrow Dantzler. 'Nuff said.

jackets4

Varsity Lurker
I don't know about the Virginia or Wake Forest games, but dude, 2001 Clemson was a senior Woodrow Dantzler. 'Nuff said.

We were up by 12 when Daryl Smith (still in the NFL) dislocated his elbow. He was Dantzler's spy and at the time, they only had 7 points in the middle of the 2nd Q. He was replaced by a walk-on who was torched the rest of the game. Lack of depth was the issue - as it has been for 25 years.

buzztheirazz

Dodd-Like
He's a guy who is going to get the defense fired up.
He's a guy who can show recruits a championship anything from this friggin' decade.
He's a guy who understands the unique challenges for the student athlete at Tech.
He's a GT alum and Georgia native who has recruited all over the Southeast.
He's a coach who very recently took an impossible situation, shined up a turd and made it into a diamond.
He's pretty much everything we've been asking for this year and all y'all can do is bitch.

I swear, sometimes I think the biggest obstacle for Tech football is its fans.
Best post in this thread to this point.

bonham

Dodd-Like
I have mixed feelings. I remember his horrendous defenses at GT, but the man seems to have "evolved" since then.

85jacket

Varsity Lurker
Went to school with Ted, played a little football with him. He will be great at TECH. He needs players and I think that he will get players. He is the kind of coach that a player will love and play his heart out for. He has done very well where he had the kids that could play. I would think that he will be good for Hunt-Days. Way to go CPJ. Can't wait till September

supersenior

Jolly Good Fellow
I love how people keep saying he won the Broyles award and is a monster recruiter. He's waiting for the background check from GT, not Notre Dame, people.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Ken's quote in ajc today:
With the departure of interim coordinator/secondary coach Charles Kelly for Florida State, Johnson still has one more opening on his staff to fill.
So does that mean that, once again, a new DC is not going to be allowed to fill his own staff?

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
I can still see Woody Dantzler running in my nightmares unscathed in Bobby Dodd.
I'm not trying to make excuses, but recall that had Daryl Smith not busted his elbow, we wouldn't have even been in OT vs. Clemson. But yeah, I was in the old North endzone stands when Woody ran right toward us for those scores. More than a decade later, makes me want to vomit.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
Ken's quote in ajc today:

So does that mean that, once again, a new DC is not going to be allowed to fill his own staff?
I'm sure Roof has full discretion, and that Ken worded it that way because CPJ is the HC.

SGA_Jacket

Flats Noob
I'm not trying to make excuses, but recall that had Daryl Smith not busted his elbow, we wouldn't have even been in OT vs. Clemson. But yeah, I was in the old North endzone stands when Woody ran right toward us for those scores. More than a decade later, makes me want to vomit.
Woody Dantzler > MTSU's running back

05GTCorndog

Staff member
My 2nd home game as a student and GT fan. Awful, awful memory.

etc79

Dodd-Like
I can cope a lot better knowing that a Clemson QB burnt us rather than a MTSU taking us under the bleachers and going to pound town...

gt2690b

PB time!

i must have been right there next to you.. u can probably see my flask in the air on the replay

AE 87

Dodd-Like
I wouldn't be surprised if BO'B promoted his secondary coach John Butler to be PSU's DC in order to keep him. Ted might have tried to bring him with otherwise. That would've been killer.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
Legal Jacket.

Roof I don't believe ever coached a down at UCF. He was hired, then left to be DC at penn st when BOB was hired.

so take that off the list

he has had only 2 good years of defense on his resume i can see, and penn state was a good defense he inherited....
Just a typo. I meant PSU, as can clearly be seen since I didn't include any season at UCF in my analysis (instead just the summary at the end).

The "good defense he inherited" is a joke, right? The secondary he "inherited" lost all four starters. The defensive line he "inherited" lost Big Ten Defensive Player of the year, Devon Still, to the NFL. Their best DL pass rusher, Jack Crawford, and his 6.5 sacks - gone to the NFL. Another good DE, Eric Latimore, gone. OLB Nate Stupar - Gone to the NFL.

So the "good defense he inherited" included returning 4 starters. 7 starters from the "good defense he inherited" he didn't actually inherit. Nice try though.