My sources say Ted Roof for DC

To put these in context, you need to compare his stats to his predecessor. In each case, you will see that Roof made defenses worse statistically.

This is about as false as false can be. Look up how decent Minnesota and GT's defenses were when he got there, and analyze the progression of defense while Roof was there. I don't recall if its also the case, but look up Duke while you are at it as well.

The only defense that clearly didn't improve when he was there was Auburn. Don't know why that was the case.

I'm not sure why anyone would freak out or praise any hire at this point...we have seen two awful performances by the DC's under CPJ. At this point, just sit back and enjoy the ride. I'm sure that is what CPJ is thinking...

I'm with this. For all the crap everyone always spews from their keyboards, this is a guy who both played and coached at GT. I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

It's never as good or bad as it seems. This is a conservative, Tech community, kind of hire. It was probably decided weeks ago, and they were waiting for the season to end and CCK to announce his move. I'm guessing that Roof was hired as someone who can work well with CPJ and not be radical in his strategy. I don't think we'll get a top 25 defense, but we'll be more sound and consistent. If we have the athletes we need to run the TO, the defense will probably be good enough.

I like the fact that he's a GT guy. I also like the fact that our defense will be more aggressive. The key thing we need with our offense is stops on defense. Just a few a game if our offense is clicking. Getting more sacks will help that endeavor greatly.

I'm with this. For all the crap everyone always spews from their keyboards, this is a guy who both played and coached at GT. I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yea I'm there as well. Not the hire I was looking for, but who knows maybe it will work out great. Lets just sit back and see how it plays out.

And why exactly would Roof be leaving PSU for Tech? I'm curious to know this after being he was there for only one year. Has anyone answered that?

Combination of 1) sanctions; 2) from Georgia (Lawrenceville); and 3) Georgia Tech guy. He didn't want to leave the school before, but he had no choice when O'Leary left. Being at GT is probably his #1 job (besides being DC of and NFL team or Bama or something else similar).

Allowing fewer points in a game of college football than Cam Newton can score is something about half of FBS defenses could have done in 2010. To quote a famous saying "herp derp".

What about holding Oregon to 19 in the National Championship game, which was played on what is probably the friendliest playing surface to Oregon's style of play.

I wouldn't judge Ted or any DC based on a few bad games. Sometimes you give up a lot of points because the other guys are really good and having a great day or because your guys simply didn't play well. The Dantzler nightmare doesn't discourage me about Ted at all - the kid was a great athlete having a career day. My only recollection of what I didn't like about Ted's defenses at Tech was I wanted them to attack more rather than dropping back and reacting. I think that's what I liked so much about Tenuta's approach. But, Ted's been a lot of places and learned a lot since his last stint here. I just hope he and CPJ can get along well and be on the same page.

One thing I hope about this hire, is that now I think we for sure have 2 people who really want to be here. I wasn't sure of that with Groh or Wommack. I think Ted can come in and give us immediate results, be they good or bad. There will be no excuses for not being able to make an impact right away, and I think that's a lot of what CPJ wanted as well, because he realizes he has a lot on the line for 2013, which is shaping up to be a good year from a returning talent standpoint.

Please help me understand how he's a great recruiter.....I am posting the link that shows the recruits that HE is responsible for....mostly 2* and 3* with a mixed 4* here and there over the years. His last 4* was in 2009.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=238

Well from what I can gather the website has stats going back only to 2009.

If you put everything in the context of what he was doing and where he was at the time, it makes sense that he hasn't recruited too well since then.

2009 was his first year at Auburn. Having come from Minnesota and Duke, I doubt that he had many strong connections with potential Auburn targets. Same probably holds mostly true for the 2010 season. He was canned a few months prior to signing day in 2011, so it's not surprising he didn't bring in big time recruits there either. Then, in 2012, he spent about a month at UCF before switching to PSU permanently. Again, I doubt Penn State was going after too many people that Auburn was going after, although Ted Roof did convince one person from Alabama to go to Happy Valley. You can't hold 2013 recruiting against him, seeing as Penn State's recruiting as a whole is way down (8 two stars).

Frankly, it's pretty tough to get a good feel of his recruiting given how much he's bounced around. The best gauge is probably how he did previously at GT and Duke. A lot of posters claim that 1998-2001 were the golden years of GT recruiting - I'm not one of them (you know who you are) but that would suggest that Roof knows how to recruit at GT and get guys by the Hill. His time at Duke (his longest stint) also demonstrates better recruiting than they usually have.

Last, he's spent a lot of time playing and coaching in the south, about 25 years total centered mostly in North Carolina, Alabama, and - of course - Georgia. He's probably got some pretty good connections for recruiting purposes.

What about holding Oregon to 19 in the National Championship game, which was played on what is probably the friendliest playing surface to Oregon's style of play.

Al Groh held a #5 Clemson averaging 40 points a game to 17 once, too.

I'm not one of the detractors of the guy, I'm just in here to point out it's silly to use a single data point as evidence in either direction. I'm sure we could find another game where a team with a less-than-stellar offense shredded him in some other arena one time. It's excellent to think we have a guy who can get our defense ready for one big important game with a lot of prep time, but we're never going to get to that stage without a consistent defensive effort week in and week out. When attempting to decide whether that's what we're getting, the Auburn NCG is an outlier.

This is one reason I don't like using the argument that he helped coach Auburn to a championship to support the notion that he's a good hire, which he may or may not be independent of those facts. That Auburn defense was nothing special. They got done what was necessary, but they had Cam Newton giving them a lot of room to work with, and he was singularly credited for their season at the time and even still. In many media outlets it was characterized as a championship trip in spite of their porous defense. Based on the season performance, most were billing the upcoming title game as an epic title shootout and there were articles TTE of "Defense Wins Championships? Think Again!" all over the place.

I'm not a fan of rewriting history to support a point. Let's call it what it was and move along, there are much better supporting arguments for the guy than his Auburn defense, especially considering how it collapsed later. We'll credit Roof for the good in the same breath as we blame Chizik for the bad, but they were both there the whole time. It's just not a strong point, IMO.

I could have sworn we had solid defenses in 00 and 01?

We did. Very selective memory.

In 2000 we were 21st in scoring defense (19 ppg). Also had a very good run defense (12th, but shoddy pass D). 2001 we kept our good run defense (23rd), improved our pass D (53rd), good enough for 32nd in the country in total defense (333 ypg) and 37th in the country in scoring defense (22.3 ppg).

Folks, giving up 22.3 ppg with our offense would be a wonderful thing. Last few years we gave up 29.9 (2012), 25.8 (2011), 26.2 (2010), 24.8 (2009), 18.8 (2008).

I was wondering the same thing. If somebody wants to substantiate this reputation, I'd love to see it.

Jamal Golden tweeted that its strange to think Roof will be his DC when he was expecting Roof to recruit him, but he didn't.

Look at my earlier post about what he got at Duke. A lot more four and five stars than they are accustomed to. People also always praise the 1998-2001 recruiting under O'Leary. Not sure if it was as good as people seem to remember, or how much of that is attributable to Roof, but with the frequency people criticize CPJ for not having teams that recruited as well as we did 1998-2001, it has to mean something.

Al Groh held a #5 Clemson averaging 40 points a game to 17 once, too.

I'm not one of the detractors of the guy, I'm just in here to point out it's silly to use a single data point as evidence in either direction. I'm sure we could find another game where a team with a less-than-stellar offense shredded him in some other arena one time. It's excellent to think we have a guy who can get our defense ready for one big important game with a lot of prep time, but we're never going to get to that stage without a consistent defensive effort week in and week out. When attempting to decide whether that's what we're getting, the Auburn NCG is an outlier.

This is one reason I don't like using the argument that he helped coach Auburn to a championship to support the notion that he's a good hire, which he may or may not be independent of those facts. That Auburn defense was nothing special. They got done what was necessary, but they had Cam Newton giving them a lot of room to work with, and he was singularly credited for their season at the time and even still. In many media outlets it was characterized as a championship trip in spite of their porous defense. Based on the season performance, most were billing the upcoming title game as an epic title shootout and there were articles TTE of "Defense Wins Championships? Think Again!" all over the place.

I'm not a fan of rewriting history to support a point. Let's call it what it was and move along, there are much better supporting arguments for the guy than his Auburn defense, especially considering how it collapsed later. We'll credit Roof for the good in the same breath as we blame Chizik for the bad, but they were both there the whole time. It's just not a strong point, IMO.

I'm with you, I was just rebutting someone's argument that Cam Newton won every game for Auburn in 2010 and the defense never did anything.

He didn't want to leave the school before, but he had no choice when O'Leary left. Being at GT is probably his #1 job (besides being DC of and NFL team or Bama or something else similar).

Took me a while to find a reference to confirm my memory, but Gailey did offer to retain Roof on staff and Roof accepted, but it was a demotion to the Linebackers position coach and not Defensive Coordinator. Shortly thereafter he accepted the Defensive Coordinator position at Duke.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2002/01/11/col_332296.shtml

Between this and being at UCF for 33 days sounds a lot like the current state of recruiting these days; recruits making a verbal commitment to a school to lock in a backup plan but then darting when a better offer comes along.

I think Legal Jacket is right though. He has won a national championship in the SEC and has been at Penn State. I think his greatest joy would be in helping to raise his alma mater to the top echelons of CFB.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Just a typo. I meant PSU, as can clearly be seen since I didn't include any season at UCF in my analysis (instead just the summary at the end).

The "good defense he inherited" is a joke, right? The secondary he "inherited" lost all four starters. The defensive line he "inherited" lost Big Ten Defensive Player of the year, Devon Still, to the NFL. Their best DL pass rusher, Jack Crawford, and his 6.5 sacks - gone to the NFL. Another good DE, Eric Latimore, gone. OLB Nate Stupar - Gone to the NFL.

So the "good defense he inherited" included returning 4 starters. 7 starters from the "good defense he inherited" he didn't actually inherit. Nice try though.

It's easier to have good defenses in the B1G. They're just so much slower!:rolleyes:

I'm with you, I was just rebutting someone's argument that Cam Newton won every game for Auburn in 2010 and the defense never did anything.

I think that was my post, but certainly not what I intended to say, since I was just rebutting someone else's argument that the defense was the best in the land because the team won the MNC.

I think we're both pushing towards the middle.

I think unless you hire someone who has years of success at one program, it's pretty hard to evaluate them based on statistics. The players change year to year, the other coaches change, the SOS changes, and the offense's TOP changes. So for someone who has moved around a lot, it's really a stretch to predict how good a coach is with stats. But you can predict the quality of the person, their character and communication skills, based on the programs that hire and promote him. Roof has an impressive resume from that standpoint. Maybe he'll be at Tech long enough to prove himself in the other ways.

Back