My sources say Ted Roof for DC

H-town

Helluva Engineer
This is a terrible hire. But in Ted's defense he was working with mostly freshmen on D in 1999 if I recall correctly. That year we were young.

I find it hard to think that a successful guy only sticks around in one place for 1-2 years max. I wonder why he moves around so much.

Anyway, this is probably Johnson's final nail in his coffin. I don't see much of an improvement. I'd love to be wrong, but the Roof's resume precedes him.

I don't see recruiting getting any better either with the recruiting restrictions that we still have in place. Roof had fewer restrictions before than he will have now. This is a bigger question than the DC. How do we get rid of those?

gt2690b

PB time!
I think unless you hire someone who has years of success at one program, it's pretty hard to evaluate them based on statistics. The players change year to year, the other coaches change, the SOS changes, and the offense's TOP changes. So for someone who has moved around a lot, it's really a stretch to predict how good a coach is with stats. But you can predict the quality of the person, their character and communication skills, based on the programs that hire and promote him. Roof has an impressive resume from that standpoint. Maybe he'll be at Tech long enough to prove himself in the other ways.

should have went with CG based on this

AE 87

Dodd-Like
Whoa. Those are some pretty interesting numbers.

At Minnesota and Duke, there was a ~25% improvement in yards allowed and 33% improvement in PPG. Minnesota's takeaways improved by 121%, Duke's by 56% and Auburn's by 33%. There was about 17% improvement in yards per play at Duke and Minnesota as well.

The moves to Auburn and PSU, by and large, did see degradation; however, both of these moves also accompanied a change in the head coach.

ContactBuzz

Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans
Whoa. Those are some pretty interesting numbers.

At Minnesota and Duke, there was a ~25% improvement in yards allowed and 33% improvement in PPG. Minnesota's takeaways improved by 121%, Duke's by 56% and Auburn's by 33%. There was about 17% improvement in yards per play at Duke and Minnesota as well.

The moves to Auburn and PSU, by and large, did see degradation; however, both of these moves also accompanied a change in the head coach.
And I'll add that if there were ever a scenario where you wouldn't want to compare before-n-after, it would be the PSU scenario. Unless, there was improvement in spite of the circumstances.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
I find it hard to think that a successful guy only sticks around in one place for 1-2 years max. I wonder why he moves around so much.
It's really not that hard to understand.

He was DC at GT, head coach left. Same position wasn't available to him.

Became DC at Duke. Was good enough he got promoted to HC after a couple years. Couldn't win at Duke (no easy task) so he got fired.

Lands at DC of Minnesota. Spends a year there. Gets an offer to be DC of Auburn - a step up and a return to the southeast, where he's from. That's a no brainer.

Can't get it done at Auburn, gets canned. Initial offer at UCF, he takes it. Upgrade offer at PSU, he takes that.

Last he gets an offer from his alma mater, which also happens to be pretty close to where he's from.

The only times he's been let go because he wasn't successful were when he was HC at Duke and DC at Auburn.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
And I'll add that if there were ever a scenario where you wouldn't want to compare before-n-after, it would be the PSU scenario. Unless, there was improvement in spite of the circumstances.
At PSU he lost a LOT of defensive talent from the previous year. They returned only four starters, not including the B1G defensive player of the year who left. He had to replace the entire secondary.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
I think unless you hire someone who has years of success at one program, it's pretty hard to evaluate them based on statistics. The players change year to year, the other coaches change, the SOS changes, and the offense's TOP changes. So for someone who has moved around a lot, it's really a stretch to predict how good a coach is with stats. But you can predict the quality of the person, their character and communication skills, based on the programs that hire and promote him. Roof has an impressive resume from that standpoint. Maybe he'll be at Tech long enough to prove himself in the other ways.
I think this is pretty spot on. There are so many variables it really is difficult to judge year to year.

The M-Train

Helluva Engineer
^ Over 9000 times more fired up than CAG ever was. At least we won't come out flat, gotta like that.

SoCal Jacket

Dodd-Like
Those who loved the need to score every time to keep ahead of the opposition's scoring are going to love Ted Roof as DC.

Check the 1999 stats, emphasis on opposition's scores at: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101099aac.html

Sure we beat uga, but it took:
A. 51 points to their 48 at BDS@HGF.
B. uga's Jasper Sanks fumbling just before going into North End Zone for game winning TD with just seconds left.

Very disappointed in this "retread" hire. :furious: :turbonoes:

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Those who loved the need to score every time to keep ahead of the opposition's scoring are going to love Ted Roof as DC.

Check the 1999 stats, emphasis on opposition's scores at: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101099aac.html

Sure we beat uga, but it took:
A. 51 points to their 48 at BDS@HGF.
B. uga's Jasper Sanks fumbling just before going into North End Zone for game winning TD with just seconds left.

Very disappointed in this "retread" hire. :furious: :turbonoes:
Why does everyone seem to remember 1999, but not 2000 or 2001? (honest question, I didn't follow the team back then)

AE 87

Dodd-Like
While I recognize--don't understand but recognize--that some people apparently think what GT did in Roof's 1st year as DC at Tech is more significant than what he did his next two or what he did 13 years later, last year at Penn State.

However, for those who want to know Roof's philosophy, there's a nice article about Butler who says he shares Roof's philosophy and talks about some of the things they did last year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/69689/butler-doesnt-plan-to-change-psu-defense

lonestarjacket

Dodd-Like
Why does everyone seem to remember 1999, but not 2000 or 2001? (honest question, I didn't follow the team back then)
1) Butthurt
2) Internet right fighting. They start with a premise based on feelings of frustration when we had an juggernaut offense hamstrung by non existent defense. Then they keep trying to prove themselves "right" based on this initial feeling.

It is not about right or wrong at that point. It is about winning the interwebs.

Logically, an objective analysis should do the opposite in weighting recent results versus older results. The older the result; the less it should matter in you analysis.

GoTech19

Dodd-Like
I can cope a lot better knowing that a Clemson QB burnt us rather than a MTSU taking us under the bleachers and going to pound town...
Next year it'll be Tahj Boyd emulating Dantzler at BDS!!! :cool: