My sources say Ted Roof for DC

He was only head coach at Duke for 4 years. Please explain how that is "most" of 14 years.

the poster likely meant the "plurality" of years, meaning his longest stint in any one job in those 14 years was as HC for Duke; which is true

1999–2001 Georgia Tech (DC)
2002–2003 Duke (DC)
2003–2007 Duke (HC)
2008 Minnesota (DC)
2009–2011 Auburn (DC/LB)
2011 UCF (DC)
2011–2012 Penn State (DC)

for those that blame George O'Leary for Roof's mediocre at best performance during his first stint at GT, why would Roof go be his DC again for UCF in 2011? Doesnt really make sense if Roof didnt like the way it worked under OLeary, huh?

I'm young, but all I know is he coached the god awful 2010 Auburn defense that scored 31 and gave up 30 a game.

Well, I've been on record as saying the next hire for DC will be Paul Johnson's last chance and he goes out and hires Ted Roof.

Really?

Ted Roof?

Did anyone else see Auburn's defense when Cam Newton was quarterback and Nick Fairley was their best Dlineman? They were PATHETIC.

LOL. If going undefeated and winning a national championship is PATHETIC, I think most of us would board that ship.

besides his bad defenses while at auburn, can some people use actual facts to why he is a mediocre or terrible hire? I know thats a tough thing to ask on here, but...

He was bad at Tech, bad at Duke, and bad at Auburn.

3 strikes.

Now GTFO.

I'm gonna need reconstructive surgery to remove my jaw from the floor.

The same Auburn fans that won a national championship with him as DC? IIRC, the Oregon offense was averaging almost 50 points per game that year and Auburn held them to less than 20 points.

That team was 60th in total defense and 53rd in scoring defense. 108th against the pass. Our defense that year when we went 6-7 was 64th total and 57th in scoring.

the poster likely meant the "plurality" of years, meaning his longest stint in any one job in those 14 years was as HC for Duke; which is true

He actually was at Duke a couple of more years as DC, so almost half of the 14 were at Duke.

Auburn's D's were GT 2010-2012 bad in 2009 and 2010. However, UCF's D in 2011 was good, and PSU's D this past year was pretty good. So, who knows, maybe Chizik was more involved during the Auburn years.

Seriously cannot freaking believe this. Maybe he'll fail the background checkk...does have ties to o'leary.

Great players don't always make great coaches. Joe Hamilton Heisman....nope, Ted was on the sidelines....

Terrible Terrible hire.

That team was 60th in total defense and 53rd in scoring defense. 108th against the pass. Our defense that year when we went 6-7 was 64th total and 57th in scoring.

But they played against SEC speeeeeed every week.

Didn't see this one coming. Unless he can get Glenn Spencer to come with him, this will go down as one of the worst hires of all time.

And yet, in the biggest game of the year, when Auburn's vaunted offense was struggling to score points, the defense shut down an Oregon offense that was averaging 49 points per game and held them to 19.

I don't think he's Nick Saban but Ted Roof is a very well respected defensive coach. What he did with Penn State this year was nothing short of miraculous. And like it or not, GT doesn't have the name cache anymore to command bringing in Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp, or a young defensive mind like that...those guys are looking for & getting SEC head coaching jobs.

I think he's a solid hire and he's a Tech man...so he won't devalue your degree...as so many of you seem to worry about. :lol:

And yet, in the biggest game of the year, when Auburn's vaunted offense was struggling to score points, the defense shut down an Oregon offense that was averaging 49 points per game and held them to 19.

I don't think he's Nick Saban but Ted Roof is a very well respected defensive coach. What he did with Penn State this year was nothing short of miraculous. And like it or not, GT doesn't have the name cache anymore to command bringing in Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp, or a young defensive mind like that...those guys are looking for & getting SEC head coaching jobs.

I think he's a solid hire and he's a Tech man...so he won't devalue your degree...as so many of you seem to worry about. :lol:

Yeah. What happened to all the people on here who were howling for someone who understood the "unique challenge" of Georgia Tech?

This.

Yeah. What happened to all the people on here who were howling for someone who understood the "unique challenge" of Georgia Tech?

And this.

He was bad at Tech,

He was at Tech for 3 years (99 - 01).
He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach
his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense
In 2001, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense

bad at Duke
He was DC at Duke for 2 years (02-03)
From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense.
He was so bad he got promoted to Head Coach midway through 03

and bad at Auburn.

Roof led Auburn's defense to one of the worst statistical seasons in the program's history.

I'll give you that one.

Some of you guys should get into the history book writing business.

He was bad at Tech, bad at Duke, and bad at Auburn.

3 strikes.

Now GTFO.

I'm gonna need reconstructive surgery to remove my jaw from the floor.

From Wiki:
{at GT} He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run.
When O'Leary left for the University of Notre Dame, Roof left Georgia Tech to become the defensive coordinator at Duke for the 2002 season. Roof's instruction brought marked improvement to the Duke Blue Devils defense, which the ACC in rushing defense after finishing ninth in the league the previous year. From 2001 to 2002, the Blue Devils moved from ninth to fifth in the ACC and from 113th to 58th nationally in total defense. They progressed in passing defense in the 2003 season, jumping to third-place in the ACC from ninth the previous year.

I don't remember him being as good as his wiki page says; but it sounds much better than what we've had....Hard to spin the Auburn years into positives; but at least he has a solid record of beating UGA.

Well, didn't expect that. To be honest, the names that were thrown out like Elko did seem too good to be true for our budget constraints. Apparently, it was Kelly or this, and Roof is probably on the cheap with the dumpster fire of PSU and that this is his alma mater.

FWIW, his defense was 19th at PSU according to football outsiders, but it was 15th the year before. At least it doesn't seem like he screwed it up.

Back