My sources say Ted Roof for DC

I respect this hire. The man wants to win for his alma mater - what's so bad about that? He's about over a decade older than he was when he was last here. He might have learned something new? Clearly he could have stayed at penn st and ridden his early success there, but he decided to take on the flaming pile of dog crap that is our defense and try to turn it around. Nah - go ahead and öööö on him..that's easier.

We get a GT alum with a BCS ring on his finger and you guys and you guys are screaming because we couldn't get someone you haven't heard of. :rolleyes: I suppose I'm gonna continue wearing my rose colored glasses. Go Jackets.

Don't be confused as to Ted Roof the DC and Ted Roof the DC under O'Leary. I've been told by quite a few people with ties to the program that Roof wanted to run a more aggressive defense but O'Leary dictated that we run zone coverages in the secondary and force teams to march the ball down the field.

I, for one, like this hire a lot.

This.

As a primary GT fan and a secondary AU fan, I'm not too optimistic about this hire. The numbers aren't on Roof's side, and he's had a history of fielding bad defenses. But I'll hope to be proven wrong. Maybe he's gotten better through the years? Learned from his failures?

Maybe Roof has developed good recruiting connections around Alabama and Georgia and will help us there. If he's a sorry DC and gets us a Nick Fairley to destroy the Murrays of the world, we'll be better off.

Might as well support it and hope for the best.

Not as bad as you goobs make it out to be. A guy with a ton of experience, Tech alum, ties to the state of Georgia, been recruiting the SE at a high level for a long time, and had posted good defenses the past few years.

Hopefully Johnson doesn't force him to run a 3-4 and will let him bring in his own staff to work on that side of the ball.

Job requirement to be an O or D coordinator at Tech : must have crease between forehead and nose.

Initial reaction at work

the-office-no.gif

From Wiki:

I don't remember him being as good as his wiki page says; but it sounds much better than what we've had....Hard to spin the Auburn years into positives; but at least he has a solid record of beating UGA.

"Solid record of beating UGA" = 1 good defensive performance and a 2-1 record because of the Jasper Sanks miracle?

Riiiiight.

He's a guy who is going to get the defense fired up.
He's a guy who can show recruits a championship anything from this friggin' decade.
He's a guy who understands the unique challenges for the student athlete at Tech.
He's a GT alum and Georgia native who has recruited all over the Southeast.
He's a coach who very recently took an impossible situation, shined up a turd and made it into a diamond.
He's pretty much everything we've been asking for this year and all y'all can do is bitch.

I swear, sometimes I think the biggest obstacle for Tech football is its fans.

Hopefully all the negativity about this hire will be as accurate as the reaction to the Groh hire.

We get a GT alum with a BCS ring on his finger and you guys and you guys are screaming because we couldn't get someone you haven't heard of.

Al Groh had a superbowl ring on his finger. That turned out well.

been recruiting the SE at a high level for a long time

Hasn't brought in a recruit above 3 stars since 2009 in 5 years at freaking Auburn and Penn State.

At least I called it in the thread about CCK going to FSU:

Wtf, this is disappointing. I was very excited about Groh though, so maybe if we hire some underwhelming dude he will produce!

We definitely hired some "underwhelming dude". So I am now optimistic.

Hows that for glass half full bitches?

If PJ had not done the hiring I would swear that some Interim HC in the future positioning was taking place.

Back