My sources say Ted Roof for DC

LOL.
he never won the broyles award.

Secondly, his D at auburn stunk. his D at minnesota, no good. His track record is no better than AL GROHs or Wommacks for that matter

unless he puts a very good asst staff together we are in trouble.

Excuse me. Nominated. Managino won. Still, bad coaches don't get nominated for awards.

His track record is certainly more recent and with more recent successes.

Who would you have hired?

I'm very surprised but have no doubt that we will get a very aggressive defense effective immediately.

I went to school with CTR - class A person. Never been 100% sure of his coaching skills but he has a lot of experience now and will have free reign under CPJ - no micro-managing head coach telling him what to do every 5 seconds.

For those of you not familiar with Ted's playing days at Tech, he was one of the best linebackers ever to play here.

I'm going to guess that Fridgemover will be elated - he was a teammate of Ted's.

Let's give the guy a chance - his last effort here was pretty good - our Bowl game against Stanford - maybe he can pick up where he left off.

You guys do know that an Auburn offense that ran 80 to 100 plays a game puts an awful lot of pressure on a defense right? Just like when PJ gets asked about running a little up tempo on his office, his response has always been his biggest hesitation with that is the pressure it puts on the defense.

I am not sure I would judge his Auburn stint as a career ender. Oregon's defense isn't great because of the speed they run their offense either.

I agree with what you said. But you are full of crap. in 2010 auburn averaged 68 plays a game and the defense averaged 68 plays a game

so the premise of your point is full of it. But if AU did run 90 plays a game then I do agree, it hurts your D.

The fact is they didn't. Not close. They were right at NCAA avg.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2010.html

I like TED. I wish him well and will support him. Lets not crucify him just yet. I'm glad to get some old blood back at GT! I know he's a great recruiter. Lets. See what he does...

Excuse me. Nominated. Managino won. Still, bad coaches don't get nominated for awards.

His track record is certainly more recent and with more recent successes.

Who would you have hired?

well, its a tough question. If you can tell me the 3 we interviewed (roof and who else?)

or if you are saying in general who would I have hunted down?

Man, I'll probably be flamed for this but I was really impressed by the hire when I read about it just now.

He did a great job last year at PSU. He can recruit. He has great experience. Screw his defenses 14 years ago. You don't think a man can learn from his experiences and improve over a decade and a half?? He comes back to his alma mater, and he'll recruit well.

I thought I was as cynical as they come, but öööö..., ST is one negative bunch.

Don't be confused as to Ted Roof the DC and Ted Roof the DC under O'Leary. I've been told by quite a few people with ties to the program that Roof wanted to run a more aggressive defense but O'Leary dictated that we run zone coverages in the secondary and force teams to march the ball down the field.

I, for one, like this hire a lot.

Yes, there is that dysfunctional O'Leary factor. But that gets people riled up when anyone notices O'Leary's best years came with Fridge and not great without him. Roof was DC but there was LOTS of interference from the HC that made things worse than just letting the HC be the coordinator.

There is also the fact that people get better with experience. ( Gasp! ). Judging someone twenty years out based on their first management job is stupid.

well, its a tough question. If you can tell me the 3 we interviewed (roof and who else?)

or if you are saying in general who would I have hunted down?

Well, we know CCK and Lance Thompson were on that list.

Well, I've been on record as saying the next hire for DC will be Paul Johnson's last chance and he goes out and hires Ted Roof.

Really?

Ted Roof?

Did anyone else see Auburn's defense when Cam Newton was quarterback and Nick Fairley was their best Dlineman? They were PATHETIC.

And they continued to be pathetic after Roof left. Maybe it was lack of talent, not lack of coaching.

Back