My sources say Ted Roof for DC

MadTownJacket

Dodd-Like
One thing I've noticed about his defenses is that they're always pumped up and ready to go. Maybe that's what we really need.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
Auburn held Oregon to 19 points in the BCS title game two years ago. That's doing some work.
I'm not wild about this hire, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
As if we have some other choice. I've felt worse and worse all day, but fridgemover has me a little more optimistic.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
Let's say you have the same exact defense with two different offenses. One takes 30 seconds to score and the other takes ten minutes. With which offense does the defense give up more points? Which one does the defense give up more yards?

Usually most offenses are similar and the points per game and yards per game are good determinants of defensive strength. But with an offense like Cam Newton's Auburn offense, the stats are highly biased compared to, say, a defense on a Big 10 team. The football outsiders rankings tries to correct for that, although I wish I knew more about the ranking.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Are you better or worse at your job today then you were 13 years ago?

I'm on the fence about the hire but anyone pointing to his teams from 1999 as evidence of a bad hire is being silly.
This.
He is a Tech man and a hell of a recruiter. I'll be cheering for him to do well. Back to the 4-3, with a nice group of linebackers, and good secondary pieces coming back. Get us in the top 40 scoring D and we win 10 games... If we find a consistent kicking game.
People being wary is fine, but judge him on his whole body of work instead of 2 years in the past 14.

KG01

Dodd-Like
This.
He is a Tech man and a hell of a recruiter. I'll be cheering for him to do well. Back to the 4-3, with a nice group of linebackers, and good secondary pieces coming back. Get us in the top 40 scoring D and we win 10 games... If we find a consistent kicking game.
People being wary is fine, but judge him on his whole body of work instead of 2 years in the past 14.
Yeah, my personal meltdown is done.

I agree with the above.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Heard a caller on 790's football show tonight who claimed to have "just gotten off the phone with his friend Taz Anderson," and that Anderson was fired up about the Roof hire and thought that CPJ along with Vad/JT and Roof would have Tech at #1 in the country in 2 years.

Pretty sure I don't buy the stuff about #1, but I guess it's interesting that at least one Tech money guy thinks this is a good hire.

JRjr

etc79

Dodd-Like
This.
Just judge him on what he does here in 2013...I know that doesn't sit well with hyper over-analyzing posters...but that's all you really can do.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
Here's what I said in another thread. Should have posted it here.

Jerry the Jacket wanted Roof as our head coach so I'm sure he's spanking his monkey right now to the 1999 Media Guide.

Color me unexcited. I would have preferred Charles Kelly. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this hire. There are clearly positives. Ted is a great recruiter and brings plenty of fire. But I have never seen any long term great successes in his defenses anywhere. That and the fact that had we had a PULSE of a defense in 1999, we would have won a National Championship. I can still see Woody Dantzler running in my nightmares unscathed in Bobby Dodd. I can still recall Wake Forest when they were considered on the level of Duke, go for 40+ to beat GT.

I hope PJ made the right hire here. I want PJ to succeed. I hope he rights the ship. Because if this hire doesn't work out, it's gonna be really tough being a Tech fan when everyone implodes. And they will.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Here's what I said in another thread. Should have posted it here.

Jerry the Jacket wanted Roof as our head coach so I'm sure he's spanking his monkey right now to the 1999 Media Guide.

Color me unexcited. I would have preferred Charles Kelly. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this hire. There are clearly positives. Ted is a great recruiter and brings plenty of fire. But I have never seen any long term great successes in his defenses anywhere. That and the fact that had we had a PULSE of a defense in 1999, we would have won a National Championship. I can still see Woody Dantzler running in my nightmares unscathed in Bobby Dodd. I can still recall Wake Forest when they were considered on the level of Duke, go for 40+ to beat GT.

I hope PJ made the right hire here. I want PJ to succeed. I hope he rights the ship. Because if this hire doesn't work out, it's gonna be really tough being a Tech fan when everyone implodes. And they will.
Look at me repost.
Modsplzbanthnx

:biggthumpup:

mmbt0ne

Dodd-Like
I can still recall Wake Forest when they were considered on the level of Duke, go for 40+ to beat GT.
In 1999 Wake went 7-5 and beat GT 26-23
In 2000 Wake went 2-9 and lost to GT 20-52
In 2001 Wake went 6-5 and lost to GT 33-38

I'm not sure you CAN recall that.