My sources say Ted Roof for DC

alpha

Dodd-Like
I just both both guys know what they are getting themselves into... for GT's sake.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
In 1999 Wake went 7-5 and beat GT 26-23
In 2000 Wake went 2-9 and lost to GT 20-52
In 2001 Wake went 6-5 and lost to GT 33-38

I'm not sure you CAN recall that.

Thanks that was it. We lost to Wake before it was "ok" to lose to Wake which Gailey popularized. Seemed like 40 points. Alas I remember blaming Roof.

cuzjacket

Varsity Lurker
This is like hearing that Tevin got a 6th year of eligibility from the NCAA.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
The source I mentioned above has instilled some faith in me, more than I would have had otherwise anyway.

But the hire was awfully öööö divisive. Roof needs to realize that coming in, and prepare for it. Maybe someone who knows him could chat about that to him to give him an idea what sort of Sweetingstorm he's walking into.
It's not that bad really though Beej67, he is replacing Al Groh. If he can hold the MTSU's of the world to under 21 points he will win over some fans. Seriously, if we can slow down some offenses in our first few games the fans will warm up to him. A lot of us who remember him as a player are already hoping he does well.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
I honestly believe Paul Johnson was just sitting around thinking to himself "what would piss off the fan base more...hiring Van Gorder ...or Ted Roof?"

AlabamaBuzz

Dodd-Like
Roof will NOT be worse than what we just experienced, and I want to support him until he proves me wrong.

1999 was painful, but I believe he can get our scoring D in the top 35 in 1-2 years.....that is all we need folks....and he is a Tech man.

Jorge

Varsity Lurker
It seemed that we had turned the corner with Kelly, so I would have been happier with his hire.

What the players think matters a lot as well. I think Kelly had them believing they could be a good defense. Now they have to start from scratch.
Well, roll the dice...

law_bee

Dodd-Like
this hire is about RECRUITING and not coaching. PJ has realized that it will not be about x's and o's for his defense. It is about BIG FAST HITTERS. TR is one of the best recruiters in the country and that trumped the other candidates.

I suspect that PJ will stay involved in the defense and will allow TR recruit some NFL D players.

While this hire may not appear to be a HOMERUN I think PJ believes this hire will take him to the next level (consistent double digit wins).

If PJ's offense was not so great I would be worried. There is NO TEAM that PJ has not beaten. The addition of the the passing packages shows he is always trying to improve the product. If we get some better D players we will be fine.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Yeah, I was at a lot of those games, including some victories over our instate rival. He won the Broyles award in 2000. He has also had some impressive success in the 14 years since leaving Tech. Sound familiar?
As has been mentioned, he didn't win the Broyles. It hasn't been 14 years since he left Tech either.

I'm underwhelmed by this hire given the memories of games that we won and lost in shootouts during his previous tenure, but maybe it works out differently this time.

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
BOR I am a happy Tech fan this evening. Been drinking some whiskey clear this afternoon. Give the man a chance, you will be happy he's back real soon.

Go Jackets!

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
As has been mentioned, he didn't win the Broyles. It hasn't been 14 years since he left Tech either.

I'm underwhelmed by this hire given the memories of games that we won and lost in shootouts during his previous tenure, but maybe it works out differently this time.
12. Sorry. :goyou:

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
You guys do know that an Auburn offense that ran 80 to 100 plays a game puts an awful lot of pressure on a defense right? Just like when PJ gets asked about running a little up tempo on his office, his response has always been his biggest hesitation with that is the pressure it puts on the defense.

I am not sure I would judge his Auburn stint as a career ender. Oregon's defense isn't great because of the speed they run their offense either.
Umm, if you're running 90 plays a game, even if the average play is ran in 20 seconds, you're chewing up half the clock.

SGA_Jacket

Flats Noob

I could have sworn we had solid defenses in 00 and 01?

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
This is about the only hire PJ could make to buy himself another year. But it could seriously backfire if the defense sucks at all.

K

KillerGroove

The defense did improve from 1999 to 2000, that much is true.