NCAA to allow players to profit off likeness

Game changer. The Feds or state gov't will not need to get involved now. Smart move on the NCAA.

But, but, but... "they're amateurs" cry the 5 people on the planet that don't think collegiate athletics for revenue sports is anything but big business.

Will be interesting to see the # of hayseeds willing to give Johnny runningback an endorsement ad at his car dealership so that he plays at Ugag, OSU, Texas, etc.

So now there is no law or bill even needed right?

Essentially. This ways the NCAA's way of reacting to pending legislative bills in a # of states. But, don't worry, Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, a current Republican from Ohio and former college and professional football player, plans to introduce his own legislation in the coming months. Gonzalez played wide receiver at Ohio State during Smith's first two years as athletic director for the Buckeyes. Gonzalez said he has talked to Smith about ways to install "guard rails" ...... so that it doesn't lead to a competitive imbalance. I believe that he almost kept a straight face while saying this as well. :bowrofl::lol2:

Essentially. This ways the NCAA's way of reacting to pending legislative bills in a # of states. But, don't worry, the rep from Ohio that played for OSU let us know that there will be "guard rails" in place so that it doesn't lead to a competitive imbalance. I believe that he almost kept a straight face while saying this as well. :bowrofl::lol2:
We need to start cheating vigorously. Y’all pull out your checkbooks

We need to start cheating vigorously. Y’all pull out your checkbooks

Except it's not cheating anymore.

Yep, as I posted in another thread, I'm sure that the GT fans that can't be bothered to buy tickets and attend games will shell out $$$ for some 18-20 year old kid to endorse their engineering firm. That will get those competitive bid contracts coming in!

But, but, but... "they're amateurs" cry the 5 people on the planet that don't think collegiate athletics for revenue sports is anything but big business.

Will be interesting to see the # of hayseeds willing to give Johnny runningback an endorsement ad at his car dealership so that he plays at Ugag, OSU, Texas, etc.
Fraught with risk. What happens when the athlete endorsing Bubba's Buick-GMC goes all Lawrence Phillips or Aaron Hernandez?

Nothing will change much in the CFB landscape. If you're worried that only giant-budget programs will have a chance at the title, I encourage you to look at the last 50 years of college football.

Except it's not cheating anymore.

Yep, as I posted in another thread, I'm sure that the GT fans that can't be bothered to buy tickets and attend games will shell out $$$ for some 18-20 year old kid to endorse their engineering firm. That will get those competitive bid contracts coming in!
I think we have some Alumni with deep pockets that already give waaaaaay more than me.

This was way past due. Its ridiculous players couldn't sign autographs on the side and not get paid for it.

Its also going to be fun seeing all the rural Georgia businesses lining up to pay the "next Herschel" to be in their advertisements.

Fraught with risk. What happens when the athlete endorsing Bubba's Buick-GMC goes all Lawrence Phillips or Aaron Hernandez?

They'll shrug it off and give the next "great" kid a deal. You really think that the Jim Bob's shopping at Buick-GMC will take their business elsewhere because the star WR turned out to be thug or a knucklehead?

They'll shrug it off and give the next "great" kid a deal. You really think that the Jim Bob's shopping at Buick-GMC will take their business elsewhere because the star WR turned out to be thug or a knucklehead?
There are actually not that many athlete endorsements. Look at the NFL where it has been allowed forever. Yes, there is Peyton and Heisman house, and Aaron Rodgers at State farm, but here in Tampa there might be 8 or 10 endorsing local businesses and that includes football, baseball, and hockey players.

There are actually not that many athlete endorsements. Look at the NFL where it has been allowed forever. Yes, there is Peyton and Heisman house, and Aaron Rodgers at State farm, but here in Tampa there might be 8 or 10 endorsing local businesses and that includes football, baseball, and hockey players.

Yes, but NFL players are already paid a ton of money. They might be interested in a call from Nike, but Bubba's Buick-GMC, not so much. College football players get a lot of benefits and attention, but no cash.

Back