NCAAT Seeding Thread

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member
I’m just calling BS on the whole NET ranking thing. It is an example of them having leeway, but choosing to not use it in our case, when we are clearly playing better than our ranking.

No biggie, let’s lace ‘em up and hit the court.
which computer ranking do you prefer?

ESPN has this one that favors Loyola 60-40 against us:

This is interesting, Sagarin ratings does not like Loyola as much as others, and would favor GT:

The Champ

Dodd-Like
I’m just calling BS on the whole NET ranking thing. It is an example of them having leeway, but choosing to not use it in our case, when we are clearly playing better than our ranking.

No biggie, let’s lace ‘em up and hit the court.
Agree with that - lace em up and play. Just get tired of seeing a few fonts constantly bitch and moan that we are getting screwed by the refs/committee/ncaa/thelordjesus regardless of the outcome

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
which computer ranking do you prefer?

ESPN has this one that favors Loyola 60-40 against us:

This is interesting, Sagarin ratings does not like Loyola as much as others, and would favor GT:
the computer rankings are so whacky this year because the OOC schedules were so limited. Not to mention the impact of long COVID breaks On games immediately following. Just a weird year.

I like Sagarin and KenPom

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
I coach and watch a lot of basketball. Darn near every victory we have had down the stretch is the same: start out sloppy, announcers have to make excuses for us, then get really serious most of the second half. Ever since Clem joke loss we have done the same and won. I would say we are tourney tough and have many players to call on when help is needed.
We got screwed on seeding as selection should have mostly ignored the first few weeks of Covid reboot... we played the toughest ACc schedule, we won the ACC T...it’s just as we like it. We are pissed off at the disrespect and it will show.

Beeski

Damn Good Rat
This. And the other thing that is pissing me off is that basketball committee uses the exact opposite of football committee when seating the playoff. Football is always like “we can excuse an early season loss by an sec power for reasons - it’s really who the best teams are at selection time” and basketball is like “oh you lost two early season games? Get ööööed”
The Basketball selection committee used to value "how hot a team is at the end of the season" and downplay early season games. They would also penalize teams who lost a star player to injury, claiming that team is not as attractive without Star player.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
This. And the other thing that is pissing me off is that basketball committee uses the exact opposite of football committee when seating the playoff. Football is always like “we can excuse an early season loss by an sec power for reasons - it’s really who the best teams are at selection time” and basketball is like “oh you lost two early season games? Get ööööed”
Eggggggcelent point. That's something I don't understand as well. And early season games are even more meaningless in basketball, given the number of games played.

Lol at the one guy saying that if Loyola loses, he's planning to mount an appeal on the premise that we never served our one-year postseason ban.
"Terrible seeding. It is a joke. We are an 8 seed and we play the ACC tournament champ with the ACC player of the year and if we win that, we play the Big Ten tournament champ. It’s criminal."

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I coach and watch a lot of basketball. Darn near every victory we have had down the stretch is the same: start out sloppy, announcers have to make excuses for us, then get really serious most of the second half. Ever since Clem joke loss we have done the same and won. I would say we are tourney tough and have many players to call on when help is needed.
We got screwed on seeding as selection should have mostly ignored the first few weeks of Covid reboot... we played the toughest ACc schedule, we won the ACC T...it’s just as we like it. We are pissed off at the disrespect and it will show.
If we limit bad shots and sloppy turnovers, we can play with the best of em.

Lol at the one guy saying that if Loyola loses, he's planning to mount an appeal on the premise that we never served our one-year postseason ban.
I thought it was a good joke but the guy seems serious. :lol2: I hope I don't get sued for copyright infringement for reposting what he wrote:

"This is admittedly a longshot, but I'm working on crafting a legal appeal to use in the event we lose to Georgia Tech. The argument in a nutshell is that Georgia Tech was ineligible to play in the 2021 NCAA tournament and must forfeit because it failed to satisfy sanctions imposed by the NCAA over recruiting violations.

Georgia Tech was cited for serious recruiting violations last year in its basketball program. One of the sanctions imposed by the NCAA was a one year ban on appearing in post-season tournaments. Georgia Tech appealed, which by rule meant this sanction could not be enforced while the appeal was pending. In early March 2000, just prior to the ACC Conference Tournament, Georgia Tech dropped its appeal of the post-season ban, while continuing its appeal of other sanctions.

The 2020 ACC Tournament was canceled due to Covid-19, as of course was the NCAA Tournament. It is patently obvious that Georgia Tech had full knowledge by early March that Covid-19 would cause the cancelation of the 2020 NCAA Tournament, and that it acted in bad faith in strategically dropping its appeal when it did.

In effect, Georgia Tech claims it served its one year ban on appearing in post-season tournaments by not participating in the 2020 post-season tournaments...THAT DIDN'T TAKE PLACE.

That is not right! It renders the "sanction" a nullity; not even a slap on the wrist. In other words it cost Georgia Tech nothing to cheat.

But the kicker is that the NCAA has agreed with this cynical manipulation and concluded that Georgia Tech is eligible to participate in this year's NCAA Tournament. This, along with the question whether Loyola has standing to challenge the NCAA's ruling, are pretty big obstacles to overcome on any legal action.

But at the very least this scenario of cheating and legal chicanery should make it clear who the good guys are in this contest."

It's not a nullity, we forewent participation in the ACC Tournament. And completely unsubstantiated to say we had "full knowledge" when we dropped the appeal that the ACC and NCAA Tournament would be cancelled. I doubt anyone knew things were going to be cancelled then.

gtchief

D I C K S
"Terrible seeding. It is a joke. We are an 8 seed and we play the ACC tournament champ with the ACC player of the year and if we win that, we play the Big Ten tournament champ. It’s criminal."
Rookie Loyola fan. Doesn't know the ACC Tourney Champ is THE ACC Champ.

gtphd

He / Him / His
That was overturned, wasn’t it?

Also, what’s this genius’ plan for standing?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I thought it was a good joke but the guy seems serious. :lol2: I hope I don't get sued for copyright infringement for reposting what he wrote:

"This is admittedly a longshot, but I'm working on crafting a legal appeal to use in the event we lose to Georgia Tech. The argument in a nutshell is that Georgia Tech was ineligible to play in the 2021 NCAA tournament and must forfeit because it failed to satisfy sanctions imposed by the NCAA over recruiting violations.

Georgia Tech was cited for serious recruiting violations last year in its basketball program. One of the sanctions imposed by the NCAA was a one year ban on appearing in post-season tournaments. Georgia Tech appealed, which by rule meant this sanction could not be enforced while the appeal was pending. In early March 2000, just prior to the ACC Conference Tournament, Georgia Tech dropped its appeal of the post-season ban, while continuing its appeal of other sanctions.

The 2020 ACC Tournament was canceled due to Covid-19, as of course was the NCAA Tournament. It is patently obvious that Georgia Tech had full knowledge by early March that Covid-19 would cause the cancelation of the 2020 NCAA Tournament, and that it acted in bad faith in strategically dropping its appeal when it did.

In effect, Georgia Tech claims it served its one year ban on appearing in post-season tournaments by not participating in the 2020 post-season tournaments...THAT DIDN'T TAKE PLACE.

That is not right! It renders the "sanction" a nullity; not even a slap on the wrist. In other words it cost Georgia Tech nothing to cheat.

But the kicker is that the NCAA has agreed with this cynical manipulation and concluded that Georgia Tech is eligible to participate in this year's NCAA Tournament. This, along with the question whether Loyola has standing to challenge the NCAA's ruling, are pretty big obstacles to overcome on any legal action.

But at the very least this scenario of cheating and legal chicanery should make it clear who the good guys are in this contest."

It's not a nullity, we forewent participation in the ACC Tournament. And completely unsubstantiated to say we had "full knowledge" when we dropped the appeal that the ACC and NCAA Tournament would be cancelled. I doubt anyone knew things were going to be cancelled then.
I thought our fans were weirdos. Sheesh. And he is wrong. The ACC tournament started. Games happened and we didn't participate. We dropped the appeal because we weren't making the dance. Plenty of teams have done that.

Last edited:

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
That was overturned, wasn’t it?

Also, what’s this genius’ plan for standing?
We technically served the ban last year by forfeiting participation in the ACC tournament. It's not our fault covid wiped out the season shortly thereafter.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
The AP voters agree our seed is low and so is our opponent’s. Loyola is ranked 17 in the latest poll and we are 26. Looking at other 8/9 teams Oklahoma-Mizzou pits 32v37, Wisconsin-UNC is 33vno votes Tarheels, and LSU-St.Bonnie is 30v28. We should have been a 7.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
The AP voters agree our seed is low and so is our opponent’s. Loyola is ranked 17 in the latest poll and we are 26. Looking at other 8/9 teams Oklahoma-Mizzou pits 32v37, Wisconsin-UNC is 33vno votes Tarheels, and LSU-St.Bonnie is 30v28. We should have been a 7.
I like exactly where we are...Loyola and Illinois are overrated.

1982Jacket

Damn Good Rat
Mediocre Texas after beating Baylor lol. Yeah man, you take the best player in the country off any team and they won't be as good
Dude, WTF happened to your Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma State Cowboys? I told you they both sucked. And they did. Also nailed it with Purdue. Most overrated team in America. Never could figure their ranking. The entire Little Fourteen was overrated except Michigan, and Purdue was most overrated of all (just ahead of Tom Izzo).