NCar DT, Carl Smalls, shot to death

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Shortly after 2 this morning Smalls was shot at a private party.
I wonder if he'd been in a program like the UGa 'character' class if he'd have been where he was at, doing what he was doing? Just a random, wondering, stunned thought. NCar DT, Smalls, shot

Hate to see anyone shot to death friend or foe. Condolences(sp) to all at NC and of course the family.
frown.gif

You shouldn't jump to conclusions about his character. The article didn't mention any illegal activity.

I'm sure that the Pope himself would probably attend a Frat party if he were a 22-year-old college student.

frown.gif

No jumping or conclusions here. Did u jump? Simply wondering if a college student would have been where he was when shot to death if he'd taken a guidance class. Does anything like these wonderings run thru ya'll's minds when reading of a very young man being violently murdered?

GT Ace, I won't comment on the young man's situation, other than to say it is tragic. I will comment on your last question. Yes, even if you are an innocent bystander, sometimes it is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The more you are aware of the possible hazards of various associations and places, the better chance you have of staying out of trouble. I don't think that is a bad thing to teach to anyone.

wink.gif

A senseless tragedy. Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Exactly, Ahso. Us older men must have a drive to let younger men know what hazzards lie ahead for them. Only a few listen, but it's still worth the ridicule if we can only help one get out of a situation before it explodes. The younger ones can't fathom what situations u can run into after 2 in the morning in a house full of inebriated people.
What if he'd left 30 mins sooner to get some 'shuteye' or 'check on a friend' or 'drive someone home'?

And what if he'd stayed locked inside his dorm room for the entire semester?

You guys seem to be over-looking one small factor. This wasn't a suicide. Someone deliberately took the life of this young man.

Don't you think that this criminal should be held at least partially responsible?
confused.gif

He's probably ruined his life also. What if he'd left 30 mins earlier, which he's probably saying a thousand times tonight, but it's too late? What if he'd chosen to keep his mouth shut, rather than take action with a gun? One instant & your life, & other lives, may be ruined forever.
Sorry, younger guys. U now know how my 2 sons & 1 daughter feel.

I would like to note that I have taken a self-imposed character evaluation, and have come to the conclusion that my previous signature was probably not the most appropriate.

I will now use only the abridged version of the famous JH quote.

Yellowfalcon56, I did not see one remark in any of the posts absolving the person doing the killing. I would bet every poster in this thread would want the person punished for killing the student, unless it happened to be self defense.

The only reason I used the self defense notation is the absence in this thread of any details.

It still holds true, if a person stays away from questionable places and activities, he is less likely to get into trouble. I see nothing wrong with pointing that out to youngsters.

smile.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
It still holds true, if a person stays away from questionable places and activities, he is less likely to get into trouble. I see nothing wrong with pointing that out to youngsters.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Point taken, and respected. I stand down from my soapbox.

They all see things from an entirely different perspective...Most think they're invincible and fail to see the warning signs...God Bless his family as they face many difficult days without their loved one

Back