NCar teams have beaten ECar 4 in a row.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
thefinger.gif
Wake Forest has now whipped East Carolina 2 yrs in a row. North Carolina smacked em last yr & even Duke got in a kick this yr. The NCar schools have got to be relishing this as there is a lot of animosity because ECar went to the state legislature to force the ACC teams to play them. Imo, the ACC teams, especially WF & Duke, should not complain as it really helps them to sell tickets & get people to their stadiums. The NCar schools point out that it is not a level playing field, tho, as ECar takes NQs & partials that they can't even recruit.
It's only getting worse for ECar. Because they play in ConUSA they are forced to play a Fri night game each yr & were forced, by the conf, to move their home game vs Cincinnati to Fri 12/6/02. This has the NCar High School coaches up in arms, cause it conflicts with the state semi-final playoff games, & a lot of HSs have banned ECar from recruiting on campus. ECar's HC, Steve Logan, has been feuding with his AD over this & Logan may be on his way out after this season. Messy situation @ ECar, which the ACC is glad to hear, as the NCar schools must continue to make room on scheds in future yrs for the Pirates.

overall you're correct but it would appear that you're getting some of your info from a State or UNC fan.
grin.gif

Some specific points:
1. East Carolina did not go "to the state legislature to force the ACC teams to play them." There was a lot of pressure from legislators who supported ECU as well as fans of several of the schools. Carolina fans have been especially notorius for avoiding ECU. I can understand why: ECU generally has a fair-to-good team and the ACC schools gain nothing by playing ECU other than fan appeasement. If they lose the game, hoo boy.

2. You're right about selling the tickets. There were probably 3 times the ECU fans at the Duke game than there were Duke people, despite a steady rain theroughout the game (I was there). The ECU faithful are fanatical about their team, similar to USC Gamecock fans.

3. You're also on the money about the NQs and PQs that ECU have. But then ECU has to take the less heraled recruits when competing with State, UNC, USC.

4. The first Friday game was last year, and it was played in the afternoon. ECU was forced by Conference USA on a Friday night this year, which also has high school coaches in South Carolina pissed off.

5. I haven't heard about Logan feuding with Hamrick publically about this Friday night issue, and I do know some folks in the athletic office. If Logan is on his way out (and I believe he is), it's because the Pirates lost 3 straight games to end the regular season last year, lost their bowl game when they really has it won, and now have lost their first 2 games to ACC opponents.

Makes you really appreciate that Tech is in a major comference and has a glorious history of collegiate football.

Back