NCSU; Oh great, they beat one of the worse teams...

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
in college FB, and now, living on tobacco road, the discussions I'll be hearing is complaints as to why they aren't ranked in the top 5....Seriously...

This is why teams create incredibly easy schedules...Why ? Because it works...Don't get me wrong, I DON'T want to see this at Tech, BUT, if you look at NCSU's schedule, they are guarenteed 7-8 wins without breaking a sweat..When we play them, they'll be in the top 10 or 15,possibly undefeated at that time. Invariably the sports writers will bite, as will some coaches, givng them a ranking....Happens EVERY year....

Then they'll get hamered by a better team, and only drop a few spots....Unlike, say, a team that is better, yet plays a reasonable schedule, and is maybe 6-2, or 5-3 at that point in the season yet not even in the top 20...

You see this every year, so how can you blame a program for creating these schedules ?

And if the issue isn't playing for the MNC (ie, thus, the SOS doesn't REALLY matter that much), they'll end up in a good bowl (with a little luck, even a good bowl on New Years Day)....They can tell recruits that they are on the rise, blah blah blah....

The bottom line - Its unfortunate that the polls don't REALLY consider SOS in rankings, and despite the fact that SOS should be considered, and the sportswriters, coaches etc SAY that they consider it, IMO, in reality its not that big of a factor in weekly rankings (not as it should be)...
pat.gif

New Mexico isn't that bad -- sort of a middling Mountain West team, which makes them sort of an average midmajor. Probably 20-30 teams in I-A are worse.

However, your comments about playing a lame schedule are 100% correct. Only the teams playing for a MNC really are helped by playing a tough schedule, and even then they don't want to overdo it or they'll drop like a rock in the polls. As much fun as it is to play good teams, I really am not crazy about us playing an opponent like Georgia Tech. Far far better to play Lousiana-Monroe, get our kids used to winning, and go from there.

I have no comments regarding your post, but I do have one regarding Rivers. Rivers is the type of QB that can get in a rythm and really do some damage to any team.

I hope Tech gets on him early when we play them and keep him from getting into any kind of rythm.

wink.gif

Well, to make matters worse, NCSU has a very good shot of being 9-0 when we play them (they play FSU and Maryland after us). Clemson and Texas Tech on the road are the only real games they have prior to us. I was not impressed w/them; Rivers is a good QB, but I did not see anything else that is a big concern. I was kinda surprised that they ran a number of trick plays against New Mexico who is regularily ranked around #100 in Div. 1.

If anything, they will be very overconfident when they play us based on a schedule where they will have 7 wins minimum and will be looking ahead to FSU, which is good for us.

To NCSU's credit, they do play some good teams OOC starting next year, but this year's schedule is a complete joke.

Back