ND loses in the rankings after winning

bizzybee

Damn Good Rat
Sat. Says a lot about how GT fb program is thought of nationally.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
No. ND had a lot of 1st place votes in last week's poll. Far more than Texas.

Our game definitely showed ND is not #1 in the country. Not with their FG kicker. So I am sure a lot of those 1st place votes became 2nd or 3rd place votes.

I think we are thought of nationally as a contender for our division, but certainly not the favorite. And that is exactly what we are.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
How We Were And Are Perceived Nationally

We were perceived as being 6-7 points behind ND, with most of the late money favoring us.

We are perceived as a team that finished 4 points behind ND, where a single play could have swung between outright victory or a double digit loss.

ND showed the voters that their offense could be contained, while their defense was better than many critics gave them credit. Weis showed he was a gutsy leader who will take chances, for better or worse. ND failed to show improvement in the field goal department, but did show they were dangerous on other special teams.

GT showed we can pop the bubble of any high-powered offense, and that our defense is NOT susceptible to Utah-style offenses, given decent field conditions. GT showed it can play essentially error-free ball, with zero interceptions, zero fumbles, and very very few deserved penalties. Ball showed accuracy and good running ability. Calvin showed he can dominate against single coverage. GT special teams showed improvement, but is still a work in progress.

ND showed the way to beat GT is to establish both lines of scrimmage, pick on the small corner if he's in there, and keep the ball out of Reggie's hands.

GT showed the way to beat ND is to prevent YAC, make them drive the length of the field with 3-down first downs, and get big plays by attacking their defensive backfield where their A-A safety is not.

GT showed that it can be beat, but you'll be in a war trying to do it.

There. Better analysis than you'll find anywhere.

romegajacket

Helluva Engineer
Re: How We Were And Are Perceived Nationally

Very good job TB.
GT seems to be thought of by many as a danged good football team that will beat you if you aren't really careful.

I think it was Norm Van Brocklin, Falcons coach that said his team had the ability to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Sometimes GT impresses me that way. Overall, I'd say GT did pretty good, but there are some areas that need some serious rehersing before next game time.

Someone here stated that Calvin did NOT make that catch. From where I was at the game, the only thing we would get to see was that big ole TV screen at the south end. Watching the game on tv at home last night, looked like he made the catch. But, it's time for my eye exam anyway so what the ..... Also, that personal foul call for helmet to helmet against us. BULL !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes there was some contact there, but not enough to flag us for. BTW, if the QB is out of the pocket and running the ball, do the same penalty calls still apply as if he were in the pocket? The helmet/helmet in that case appeared to be more incidental than anything else. ARGHHHH!!!!!!!! Now I know the meaning of FLAG FOOTBALL. And I thought it was just for the kids. :)))

We got beat by a better football team, but we should have won. Go Figure That one out.

TechGator1066

Dodd-Like
bizzybee said:
Sat. Says a lot about how GT fb program is thought of nationally.
Rightfully so! We were a couple a sh*tty calls away from beating them last saturday night.