New Bowl Games

Chicago? BigX? Count me in. Seriously - I would be very into that if Tech ever goes.

Myrtle Beach? May I suggest the Ivy League Champion vs the best Community College in Texas for that bowl.

Hasn't a 5-win team gone to a bowl every year except the year Tech was 5-6 and got royally F'd by a non-conference opponent and its own defensive coordinator? LOL.

The Myrtle Beach Fireball Bowl, sponsored by Wings, Eagles, Subway, and McDonalds. Participants get a free airbrushed tank top with a Camaro. It's a bitchin camaro.

HELL YES
kickoff at 9:30 am. Christmas morning.

What bowls should do:
  • Keep NY6 bowls the same
  • All exhibition bowls (non-NY6) are rescheduled from January to May with 1-2 bowls per weekend.
  • Southern bowls in January then move north towards May
  • Fix the practice rules so this works and doesn’t give an advantage
  • Call it the “season of bowls” and advertise football almost year round
  • Sign a contract to nationally televise all games
Advantages
  • More football
  • More national tv coverage for teams that otherwise wouldn’t get it
  • More money from more national tv coverage
  • Bowls in northern cities no one wants to visit in the winter like Chicago and Boston

Myrtle Beach is a golfing destination in December, so adding a college football game there makes sense. It's driving distance from a large area of the southeast, and Spirit Air has cheap flights from other areas. Brooks Stadium (Coastal Carolina) is in the middle of a 2-phase expansion from 9000 seats to it's current 15,000 and eventually 20,000. I imagine a bowl game was a motivator for the expansion. This might be a very successful bowl if they can get some decent conference tie-ins.

Myrtle Beach is a golfing destination in December, so adding a college football game there makes sense. It's driving distance from a large area of the southeast, and Spirit Air has cheap flights from other areas. Brooks Stadium (Coastal Carolina) is in the middle of a 2-phase expansion from 9000 seats to it's current 15,000 and eventually 20,000. I imagine a bowl game was a motivator for the expansion. This might be a very successful bowl if they can get some decent conference tie-ins.

20,000 seats? Not gonna hold enough for two fan bases I wouldn’t think.

I'm guessing it will be a Sun Belt vs. MAC type affair. The G5 conference 6 win teams are the only ones available to take these slots.

Strap your helmets on tight, it's a wild ride when Akron and Old Dominion get together.

Hard to believe in the 90s seven wins was no guarantee you were getting a bowl, even in a major conference.

Last edited:
As long as they start at noon and let 5 win teams in. Get ready for a packed house, we can bring up to 5,000 fans.

This made me curious enough to check attendance for last season's bowl games. It looks like 9 bowls had ticket sales that were around 20,000 or less.

Quick Lane Bowl (Duke/Northern Ill.) 20,211
Hawaii Bowl (Fresno/Houston) 20,546
Heart of Dallas Bowl (Utah/WV) 20,507
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Wyoming/Central Mich) 16,512
Camelia Bowl (MTS/Ark) 20,612
Gasparilla Bowl (Temple/FIU) 16,363
Bahamas Bowl (Ohio/UAB) 13,585
Frisco Bowl (Louisiana Tech/SMU) 14,419
Cure Bowl (WKU/Georgia State) 19,585

I suspect that Myrtle Beach would be hosting something comparable to those. They probably don't plan to compete for the top tier.

Last edited:

A sold out 20,000 seat stadium would be a much better experience than 30,00 fans (or much less for many bowl games) in a 50,000+ seat stadium.

Back