New Clock Rule

Do you like the new clock rules?

• Total voters
What new rules? 2 minute warning you mean?
  • Two-minute timeout
    The clock will automatically stop with two minutes remaining in the second and fourth quarters.

First-down timing rules
  • The clock will continue to run when a first down is gained in bounds, except during the last two minutes of each half. During this time, the clock will stop when a first down is gained while the chains are moved.

10-second runoffs
  • A 10-second runoff occurs when a dead ball foul stops the running clock, such as a false start or defensive offside.

The new rules are intended to shorten games and reduce the number of plays per game. However, some coaches believe the changes won't have a significant impact on the game, as most major injuries occur during practice.

• Two-minute timeout
    The clock will automatically stop with two minutes remaining in the second and fourth quarters.

First-down timing rules
  • The clock will continue to run when a first down is gained in bounds, except during the last two minutes of each half. During this time, the clock will stop when a first down is gained while the chains are moved.

10-second runoffs
  • A 10-second runoff occurs when a dead ball foul stops the running clock, such as a false start or defensive offside.

The new rules are intended to shorten games and reduce the number of plays per game. However, some coaches believe the changes won't have a significant impact on the game, as most major injuries occur during practice.

Since when is defensive offsides a dead ball foul? I’ve not seen that.

Encroachment, unabated to the QB, ol jumps in response to do in the neutral zone, etc

They scored a TD on a play where defensive offsides was called today. Why wasn’t that a dead ball?

They scored a TD on a play where defensive offsides was called today. Why wasn’t that a dead ball?
Because there are variations to offsides, some get called dead balls others don't.

If you touch a lineman dead ball offsides, if you jump into the neutral zone and an ol reacts, dead ball offsides.

If you line up offsides or go to early but don't touch anyone then the play continues.

All these changes to “shorten the game” but actually just fit in more commercials are bullshit. There’s literally no justification for the 2 minute warning other than “more commercials.”

JRjr
So far, this checks out.

All these changes to “shorten the game” but actually just fit in more commercials are bullshit. There’s literally no justification for the 2 minute warning other than “more commercials.”

JRjr

The ostensible justification is to make game times shorter and, just as importantly, more consistent. The NFL has this down to a T.

The actual justification in college football is just more commercials.

Actually, I think I saw there aren't any more commercials over the past few years, but with how high the percentage of game:commercial ratio already us, any shortening of the game just feels awful since it means that ratio goes up even more.

The ostensible justification is to make game times shorter and, just as importantly, more consistent. The NFL has this down to a T.

The actual justification in college football is just more commercials.

Actually, I think I saw there aren't any more commercials over the past few years, but with how high the percentage of game:commercial ratio already us, any shortening of the game just feels awful since it means that ratio goes up even more.
Yep, just adopt “all” the NFL rules. They are better and get the game done in 3 hours.

• Two-minute timeout

First-down timing rules

10-second runoffs

The 10 second run offs will be entertaining to once used strategically.

Yep, just adopt “all” the NFL rules. They are better and get the game done in 3 hours.
Can't go to a 5 minute halftime (gotta let the bands play), and I suspect college wants to keep the uniqueness of 1st down clock stopping in the final two minutes, so it probably stays this way.

Back