New football content

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Let's actually discuss football:

One of my favorite wrinkles CPJ implemented was during the 2009 FSU game when we would line up an AB out wide and send them in motion from that position as opposed to their regular slot position. What did he see in their defense that resulted in this oddity, what weakness did it exploit, and why haven't we seen it since?

Excellent thread. I'm gonna rewatch this game today.

Let's actually discuss football:

One of my favorite wrinkles CPJ implemented was during the 2009 FSU game when we would line up an AB out wide and send them in motion from that position as opposed to their regular slot position. What did he see in their defense that resulted in this oddity, what weakness did it exploit, and why haven't we seen it since?

Pretty sure we've seen that since 2009.

Demariyus Thomas was the leading receiver in the ACC both before and after this game.

Texas was in the top two and beating Colorado in conference play.

Jimbo Fisher was a face in the crowd.

What a crazy freaking year.

Demariyus Thomas was the leading receiver in the ACC both before and after this game.

Texas was in the top two and beating Colorado in conference play.

Jimbo Fisher was a face in the crowd.

What a crazy freaking year.

what a time to be alive.

I was still married to #2 (and I mean that). My pulse rate was around 160, between plays, during the Clemson game. I told my daughter that I was probably going to die there from heart failure.

And the FSU game was glorious

FB_IMG_1522700685499.jpg

Last edited:
It could be that we put that motion in for the same reason that more balanced spread attacks sometimes do, just to help the QB read the defense. The half dozen or so times we ran that motion in the first half, it resulted in a ton of big plays. The FSU defense didn't really react to it at all, pre-snap, except once a corner cheated up, then got burned by Dwyer even though he was in the right place. There was once the motion resulted in the FSU defense just being hilariously misaligned, and Ant took that one up the sideline 60 yards. On the Dwyer play with the same motion that caused the corner to come up, Ant didn't actually complete the motion, he cut it off at the snap and reversed direction, which I found interesting. Also interestingly, IIRC, we completed all of our successful passes in the 2nd half after FSU made adjustments. How much of that was enabled by the motion, I don't know, but it makes me think it was related.

If it is the case that we haven't seen that motion since then (and I have no clue whether that's the case) my guess would be that it's because it makes the snap that much easier to time, which is something we have struggled with, and the sideline momentum and the cut the A-back executes may make it more difficult to get the pitch relationship right. Where recent CPJ teams seem to lateral and sometimes even basically forward-pitch the ball, Nesbitt is throwing it backwards quite a bit in this game. Sometimes it almost looks like he's pitching it right behind him. Could be that in year 2 of the system that the familiarity with that relationship wasn't tight enough or the personnel weren't the right fit yet to risk pressing it close to the line like we do today. Could be that it was necessary because the A-back just couldn't get forward fast enough and the QB's hand was forced by a defender. Could also be because CPJ thinks the 4th down time out play is a more effective way to combat people timing the snap. Not sure how much of it was by design and in which way, because I ain't CPJ or Nesbitt (I'm Nicolas Cage).

So that's a layman's guess, anyways. I'd be interested to hear from some of our option gurus and former players on what the real cause was, if they are still hangin' around in the offseason. Doesn't @Longestdays do a bunch of TO analysis?

Anything on the schematic and practice routine differences between Woody and Ted Roof? The thread on "new look defense" devolved into a bunch of stuff about ESPN and Javascript. I mean, both those things are very evil, but I'm still curious about the defense.

Anything on the schematic and practice routine differences between Woody and Ted Roof? The thread on "new look defense" devolved into a bunch of stuff about ESPN and Javascript. I mean, both those things are very evil, but I'm still curious about the defense.
CPJ has had three press conferences since spring practice started and has gone to pains to say it’s too early to say anything significant about defensive changes — except that it’s gonna be simpler. New coaches are really just evaluating players still.

From my understanding there will be a lot more plugging holes. Think Andre the Giant delivering a shocker.

If that fails, they will get Spocked.

I thought this said new football coach. That wouldve been awesome

From what I've read, Woody emphasizes speed and athleticism over size and runs an attacking defense as opposed to the reactive one that Roof ran. We'll get a lot more sacks and TFLs, and I guess probably give up more big plays. Our CBs will be much closer to the ball and probably get a lot more INTs (App St ranked 2nd nationally in picks under Woody). We'll run a 3-4, but it will be completely different than Groh's. The linemen will be attacking, not just trying to take up blocks.

I'm excited to see it. We'll probably give up about the same number of points, but I expect more turnovers and 3-and-outs so our offense will get more possessions.

It could be that we put that motion in for the same reason that more balanced spread attacks sometimes do, just to help the QB read the defense. The half dozen or so times we ran that motion in the first half, it resulted in a ton of big plays. The FSU defense didn't really react to it at all, pre-snap, except once a corner cheated up, then got burned by Dwyer even though he was in the right place. There was once the motion resulted in the FSU defense just being hilariously misaligned, and Ant took that one up the sideline 60 yards. On the Dwyer play with the same motion that caused the corner to come up, Ant didn't actually complete the motion, he cut it off at the snap and reversed direction, which I found interesting. Also interestingly, IIRC, we completed all of our successful passes in the 2nd half after FSU made adjustments. How much of that was enabled by the motion, I don't know, but it makes me think it was related.

If it is the case that we haven't seen that motion since then (and I have no clue whether that's the case) my guess would be that it's because it makes the snap that much easier to time, which is something we have struggled with, and the sideline momentum and the cut the A-back executes may make it more difficult to get the pitch relationship right. Where recent CPJ teams seem to lateral and sometimes even basically forward-pitch the ball, Nesbitt is throwing it backwards quite a bit in this game. Sometimes it almost looks like he's pitching it right behind him. Could be that in year 2 of the system that the familiarity with that relationship wasn't tight enough or the personnel weren't the right fit yet to risk pressing it close to the line like we do today. Could be that it was necessary because the A-back just couldn't get forward fast enough and the QB's hand was forced by a defender. Could also be because CPJ thinks the 4th down time out play is a more effective way to combat people timing the snap. Not sure how much of it was by design and in which way, because I ain't CPJ or Nesbitt (I'm Nicolas Cage).

So that's a layman's guess, anyways. I'd be interested to hear from some of our option gurus and former players on what the real cause was, if they are still hangin' around in the offseason. Doesn't @Longestdays do a bunch of TO analysis?
Simplifying pre-snap read would be my guess, as well. Typically that motion would give away man vs. zone, but I'm not sure why that would buy us too much in the option. It could be that, from the previous year, CPJ correctly predicted that they would fail to shift their numbers count if we lined up that way and it was an effort to get a little extra distance on the backside pursuit. Again, just guesses and I was pretty hungover and sitting behind their band at the game.

Simplifying pre-snap read would be my guess, as well. Typically that motion would give away man vs. zone, but I'm not sure why that would buy us too much in the option. It could be that, from the previous year, CPJ correctly predicted that they would fail to shift their numbers count if we lined up that way and it was an effort to get a little extra distance on the backside pursuit. Again, just guesses and I was pretty hungover and sitting behind their band at the game.

It's quite possible that Nesbitt had a pre-snap read on man coverage to just bomb it to Bay Bay. He did, at one point, but I'd have to go back and check the blocking to see whether that was designed or not.

Back