New Topic: Rank the QB's for our system

Jacket59

Damn Good Rat
I was participating in a thread on recruiting on meetthemachine's forum and thought of a really thought provoking excercise. The discussion was on what type of QB should we be recruiting - an "athletic QB" or an "athlete playing QB".

So, rank the following QB's as to which one you would want most for our system and also put whether you think they fall into the category of "QB who is athletic" or "athlete playing QB" (for the purposes of this excercise please put character issues asside) (my ranking and category are given):

1. Mike Vick (athlete playing QB)
2. Vince Young (athlete playing QB)
3. Tommie Frasier (athlete playing QB)
4. Cunningham/Young/Farve/Elway (QB's who are athletic)
5. Joe Hamilton (QB who is athletic)
6. Eric Crouch (athlete playing QB)
7. Pat White (athlete playing QB)
8. Tim Tebow (QB who is athletic, I think)
9. Shawn Jones (QB who is athletic)
10. Tracy Ham/Hines Ward (I couldn't make up my mind) (athlete playing QB)

That was really hard to do for me on some of those decisions. And, I guess that's my point. For this offense, what do we really want??????? A Frasier led Nebraska team running the TO obliterated a Weurfel led Florida team running the fun and gun in the national championship not that long ago.

Maybe come up with your own top 10. You know what's fun to think about ... maybe Josh Nesbitt will be on this list in 3 years.

1. Tracy Ham

With all of Tracy Ham's records in PJ's system and probably the best QB to ever play in PJ's system I could not pick anyone else, Perhaps that Jayson Foster that just graduated could have been as good... although not the passer.

Pat White would be next imo.

Steve Young would dominate. Hall of Famer who could fly and a much better passer than anyone on that list outside of Favre and Elway.

This is who I'd want, in order:

1. Joe Hamilton
2. Eric Crouch
3. Tim Tebow
4. Shawn Jones
5. Vince Young
6. Mike Vick
8. Pat White
7. Steve Young

Different reasons for different selections, but generally I put a very high value on the ability to make quick, responsible decisions with the football, during the option. There are a couple of cases where sheer athletic talent or QBing talent (Vick, Young) overrides that, but not primarily.

Also, Hamilton has better stats than Vick on the 1999 all star team for EA Sports NCAA Football 2006, and I figure that's got to count for something.

1. Joe Hamilton
2. Tim Tebow
3. Vince Young
4. Eric Crouch
5. Pat White
6. Steve Young
7. Mike Vick

I'm not sure I can compile a list but of all the QB's that have played under CPJ Tracy Ham was the best. He was very quick on his feet and could break some ankles. What made him even more special was he had a deadly cannon of an arm with accuracy to boot. He went on to win the MVP in the Canadian league and is now in the college football hall of fame.

Everyone will be pleased with CPJ's selection. I think CPJ is looking first for the 'athlete' but if he can find the athlete with an arm you will see this offense blossom into it's full potential. CPJ has a special ability to see the talent needed to run his system. Being at Tech he isn't limited to the service academy athlete anymore. Heck, Tracy Ham was recruited as a DB out of high school but CPJ convinced Erk to give Tracy a scholly to play QB.

Back