Next Season

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
I'm not the overly optimistic type. I think next season is shaping up to be a better year. Our only significant loss on offense is Brad Stewart. No loss at quarterback. We have 3 capable quarterbacks to choose from. All BB's and the entire offensive line will return. We're fine at A back with Cottrel and Jarrett. Offensively you essentially return the entire group that played this season except they have more experience and a better quarterback.

Defense under coach Woody in the second season should improve. Adams at nose guard will be a monster. Glanton and Owens will replace our losses on the ends. Curry at linebacker will anchor that group along with Quez Jackson and Swilling. Our secondary got better as the year went along and look like a bright spot next year.

Ironically we look set on special teams. Who would have thought that?

What are y'all's thoughts?

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
I dunno about the secondary improvement you saw. What was UVA's and UG's passing stats against us? Wasn't Perkins 21/25 for a couple hundred yards or so?

all4tech

Damn Good Rat
We should be better next year with NW getting the D better

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
If we don’t get some inside LB’s that can make stops at the LOS. I would say we will have to score in bunches again next year.

... will be Paul Johnson's last. I'm not saying that with delight or to be cheeky, but seriously. Retain Nate Woody. Hire Scott Satterfield. Fire everybody else. Pay whatever it cost to have assistants who can recruit. The only recruiter with a pulse on the current staff is McCollum. The last guy before that was Charles Kelly ... who went on to sign a gaggle of 5/4 star players for FSU.

It will cost peanuts to fire PJ after next season. I don't want to see any extension that includes an increase in buyout this offseason. If the argument is this is the best we can do until ($facilities$), then everybody across the board -- including Stansbury -- takes a paycut that is then reinvested into AI2020. Either you're going to compete to win today or you're going to sell everything up the river like the Royals/Braves/Marlins to win tomorrow. No middle ground.

I suspect I'll continue my streak of "not buying tickets to see this mess but instead giving the money to the A-T Fund." I'm certainly not the only one. PJ set several attendance records for his tenure of the wrong kind this season. I suspect the GTAA will exceed the cost of PJ's salary with unsold tickets next year.

OKCJacket

Flats Noob
At QB we return Tobias, who is a good runner but cannot throw even as good as Marshall. Lucas has never seen meaningful action and evidently is injury prone, but does look like a real QB when he throws. Not sure if he is quick enough for our option plays, he seems like more of a strider a la Vad Lee. But if he can stay healthy I have some optimism. Graham is not a known quantity yet, and it's not likely CPJ will feel comfortable enough with his grasp of the offense for him to take over as starter, but he may split time.

I think you are underrating the experience and playmaking ability we lose at AB. Searcy and Lynch are the best AB tandem we've ever had IMO, though they have been sadly quiet the last two years with the TQM QB sweep show. Cottrel is hard nosed and has decent speed but is not a fluid runner. Jarret looks ok but has hardly played. Gannt seems too small to be effective against better teams, and has also hardly played. It's almost like the situation in 2015 where we had young talent but we ended up blaming a lot of our lack of success on AB inexperience resulting in poor perimiter blocking.

BB and OL should be as good, perhaps better with Benson returning. Maybe JPM switches to a-back.

WR won't be any less meh than this year I guess, though Brad is really the only one that made any plays at all. Maybe one of the young guys emerges.

Defense has to be better. We will miss ASA but have some other players on the DL. LB play can only improve, realistically, but it needs to be night and day better. Secondary will look good getting off the bus but need to become much, much better tacklers, which is not something I've seen improve a lot recently, so I won't count on it. I am hoping that the poor tackling is due to lack of confidence in their assignments and being caught flat footed, and that an extra year will help.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
... will be Paul Johnson's last. I'm not saying that with delight or to be cheeky, but seriously. Retain Nate Woody. Hire Scott Satterfield. Fire everybody else. Pay whatever it cost to have assistants who can recruit. The only recruiter with a pulse on the current staff is McCollum. The last guy before that was Charles Kelly ... who went on to sign a gaggle of 5/4 star players for FSU.

It will cost peanuts to fire PJ after next season. I don't want to see any extension that includes an increase in buyout this offseason. If the argument is this is the best we can do until ($facilities$), then everybody across the board -- including Stansbury -- takes a paycut that is then reinvested into AI2020. Either you're going to compete to win today or you're going to sell everything up the river like the Royals/Braves/Marlins to win tomorrow. No middle ground.

I suspect I'll continue my streak of "not buying tickets to see this mess but instead giving the money to the A-T Fund." I'm certainly not the only one. PJ set several attendance records for his tenure of the wrong kind this season. I suspect the GTAA will exceed the cost of PJ's salary with unsold tickets next year.
But, don't you know that pj is the best that Tech can get and the TO gives us a chance to even the playing field. And last, but not least, what other coach would want to come here?

moochie

Varsity Lurker
At QB we return Tobias, who is a good runner but cannot throw even as good as Marshall. Lucas has never seen meaningful action and evidently is injury prone, but does look like a real QB when he throws. Not sure if he is quick enough for our option plays, he seems like more of a strider a la Vad Lee. But if he can stay healthy I have some optimism. Graham is not a known quantity yet, and it's not likely CPJ will feel comfortable enough with his grasp of the offense for him to take over as starter, but he may split time.

I think you are underrating the experience and playmaking ability we lose at AB. Searcy and Lynch are the best AB tandem we've ever had IMO, though they have been sadly quiet the last two years with the TQM QB sweep show. Cottrel is hard nosed and has decent speed but is not a fluid runner. Jarret looks ok but has hardly played. Gannt seems too small to be effective against better teams, and has also hardly played. It's almost like the situation in 2015 where we had young talent but we ended up blaming a lot of our lack of success on AB inexperience resulting in poor perimiter blocking.e
BB and OL should be as good, perhaps better with Benson returning. Maybe JPM switches to a-back.

WR won't be any less meh than this year I guess, though Brad is really the only one that made any plays at all. Maybe one of the young guys emerges.

Defense has to be better. We will miss ASA but have some other players on the DL. LB play can only improve, realisticaley, but it needs to be night and day better. Secondary will look good getting off the bus but need to become much, much better tacklers, which is not something I've seen improve a lot recently, so I won't count on it. I am hoping that the poor tackling is due to lack of confidence in their assignments and being caught flat footed, and that an extra year will help.
D has to improve. Love our LBs heart but dudes are third stringers on most teams and a huge liability. Slow but gutsy. DL ok but desperately need some depth here. DBs are improved and i'm somewhat optimistic but w/out reason, for right now. Carpenter will be a stud. We have to stop a team's run and unless they're mediocre, we can't. Plain and simple, we have to take a step fwd in Y2 of Woodyville.

On O, let it play out. Agree we need more threat of a pass out of next year's QB aed hopefully we get it, but I've get to see it to believe it. Stewart got some heart at the end and I admire him for his senior year, but he was no Calvin...or even Smeltzer for that matter. Our O will be determined by the QB play. 7 wins is our ceiling w/current play callers. even tobias who i think is a gamer.

Keep plugging, is what it is. if i have a bitch w/cpj, it's all around recruiting and our empty D we left to Woody. we gotta figure a way to get a couple of studs on the flats!!

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
Also, next season starts this week as we prepare for our bowl game. I hope cpj plays Oliver at the very least after the first possession for the remainder of the game.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I am not so optimistic unless some new players emerge. Our best players on defense this year were seniors - DE, OLB, Safety. The outside blocking really loses experience with Stewart, Lynch and Searcy leaving. We have to break in a new QB. The trip to Temple and home with USF and UGA worries me that we will go 2-2 again outside of the conference. Home games with N.C. State, UNC, Virginia Tech and Pitt should yield 3 to 4 wins. Road trips to Durham, Charlottesville, Clemson and Miami led to 0-4 last time. Maybe we get 1 or 2 this time. I see us between 5-7 and 9-3 next year with 7-5 or 6-6 most likely.