NFL+College Power Rankings

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
I think everyone (I could be wrong here) is looking at this hypothetical from purely a perspective on talent. The other main variable for me is team chemistry. It's my thinking that most of the öööö-on-a-shingle teams in the NFL are terrible because of chemistry - chemistry between coaches and players, players and players, and strategies v. skill set. What makes Bama so strong is not simply the high level of talent (see UGAg for highly talented teams who DON'T when consecutive MNCs ... or any, for that matter). So, it could be said that Bama's weaknesses in talent when compared to an NFL squad, could be made up for with chemistry as described above. If anything, we've seen plenty of examples of how all the talent in the world doesn't win öööö if you can't make that talent work together effectively.
Not only is an NFL team a collection of the best college allstars, they're allstars with anywhere from 1 to 15 years of experience and growth. The idea that any college team could even be competitive with an NFL team is laughable n my opinion (and I don't say that disparagingly). There's just no comparison of size, speed and strength, from an individual stand point, from a team stand point, anything.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I think everyone (I could be wrong here) is looking at this hypothetical from purely a perspective on talent. The other main variable for me is team chemistry. It's my thinking that most of the öööö-on-a-shingle teams in the NFL are terrible because of chemistry - chemistry between coaches and players, players and players, and strategies v. skill set. What makes Bama so strong is not simply the high level of talent (see UGAg for highly talented teams who DON'T when consecutive MNCs ... or any, for that matter). So, it could be said that Bama's weaknesses in talent when compared to an NFL squad, could be made up for with chemistry as described above. If anything, we've seen plenty of examples of how all the talent in the world doesn't win öööö if you can't make that talent work together effectively.
Why would Alabama, which turns over 20% of its players every year and has limited practice time, have better chemistry than NFL teams which consist of longer tenured players who prepare for a minimum of twenty games a year together plus a much longer camp?

And even if somehow a team like Alabama did have better chemistry, it wouldn't be even close to enough to make up for not only the talent and skill differential across the board that results from taking the best players in college and having them play pro ball for several years, but also the fact that you'd be pitting grown men in their athletic primes against men twenty one years old or younger.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Not only is an NFL team a collection of the best college allstars, they're allstars with anywhere from 1 to 15 years of experience and growth. The idea that any college team could even be competitive with an NFL team is laughable n my opinion (and I don't say that disparagingly). There's just no comparison of size, speed and strength, from an individual stand point, from a team stand point, anything.
The 08 Lions and the 09 Rams could have lost to the team Bama fielded last year.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
It's conceivable that some NFL teams with exceptionally bad chemistry (Jets, perhaps? Raiders?) could have worse chemistry than some college teams with exceptionally good chemistry.

I doubt it would make any difference whatsoever.

CarolinaJacket

Varsity Lurker
I appreciate posters who freely raise their hands and admit to the rest of us they don't know öööö about football. Keeps the guess work down later on when reading their BS. Thanks Carolina
I posted this because of something Steve Spurrier said that I somewhat agreed on. I think ol' Ball coach knows a thing or two about football, but not sure. Besides I said already that I stretched it a little bit, because I really wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks for your input pal.

BlackJacket

Dodd-Like
I posted this because of something Steve Spurrier said that I somewhat agreed on. I think ol' Ball coach knows a thing or two about football, but not sure. Besides I said already that I stretched it a little bit, because I really wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks for your input pal.
What did Spurrier say?

cyptomcat

Hibernating
"Alabama, golly, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I've watched on Sundays,"
If you have been following Spurrier for a while, you should know by now that he says some things to rile others up, not because they are necessarily true.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
If you have been following Spurrier for a while, you should know by now that he says some things to rile others up, not because they are necessarily true.
Golly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

gespacho_the_slender

Chief Video Editor and Toolshed
A couple things to remember are that Alabama would have to cut their roster, AND take a pay cut to fit under the cap.

The Jacket

The Coat
Yeah, as much fun as it would be to entertain the notion if a college squad beating a professional club, it's one firmly planted in the realm of fantasy. The most rag-tag expansion team conceivable with Chan Gailey as their head coach on their worst way would still dominate the best college team on its best day.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
The worst team in the NFL would beat the 2005 Texas Longhorns by 3 touchdowns.

Put your thinking cap on. Pro teams have no imposed limits on practice time or number of practices. The average player gains several pounds of muscle and many get quicker under the professional training programs. If half of 'Bama's D would play for the NFL, all of the Bucc's D plays for the NFL, has been playing for the NFL for years, and has benefitted from NFL-caliber strength and conditioning.

I don't care if Bama's OL averages 310 lbs. An NFL defensive line goes against people that size every week. Their DL coach would probably have to train them that week to not trip over themselves when they get into the backfield faster than they're used to.

MTrain

hodl
how would colleges do against CFL teams (american rules)? arena league?

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
The 08 Lions and the 09 Rams could have lost to the team Bama fielded last year.
Not once in a thousand games played would that happen. I don't think you could get a single college coach to honestly agree with this. You probably couldn't get a single pro coach to stop laughing long enough to actually comment.

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
I remember reading somewhere a while back where Warren Sapp was asked about if some of those dominating Miami defenses would hold up against a pro offense. His comment was something along the lines of: if you would have asked me then, I would have said hell yes. Asking me now, I'll say HELL NO.

carmex

Jolly Good Fellow
All this being said... I think it would be fun to watch the beat-down happen. :) The Braves play Tech, so why not in football?

On second thought, people don't usually get concussions in baseball. Nothing to be gained here but injuries to your players.