NFL Conference Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by Jacketblind, Jan 20, 2019.

1. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    What's crazy is that the Patriots have faced 7 different teams in 9 Super Bowl trips during the 18-year Brady era (Eagles and Rams twice, albeit the Rams weren't in LA last time). Counting the Patriots, only six AFC teams have even played in the Super Bowl during that time frame.

2. BeeStorm

BeeStorm The Dark Side of the Force Staff Member

Loc:
    Not Conyers
    Team:
    GT
    he is the true heir to Madden imo.

3. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    There seems to be a growing consensus that Brady is the GOAT... but if we're going to say that, then why does Bill Russell get so little talk as the GOAT? Heck, he's usually not even in the conversation relative to MJ, LeBron, Wilt, etc.

4. Jacketblind

Jacketblind The Unbanned

Loc:
    T-town
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Romo calling a game is like watching a game with a good buddy who retired from the NFL.
    I'm quite sure he will be able to keep up with the any changes in offenses. Hell, I'd hire him as a D coordinator :bigthumbup:

5. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    He didnt play long enough. He probably was the actual greatest.

6. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

Saints lost, I'm good.

Am I the only Falcons fan who doesn't care if the Pats win another one? I'll root for the Rams for sure, but the Pats winning another one is nothing compared to the possibility of the Saints winning another one

7. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    My Facebook Dwag fans are flooding the feed with Gurley vs Sony memes. Yuk.

8. cyclejacket

cyclejacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Gainesville, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech, Alabama
    Bill Russell played 11 or 12 years. Not as long as some today but certainly quite a long career then. They did have to spend 4 years in college.

9. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Everyone in the list of greatest ever had longer careers. Iiwii.

10. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Are you being serious? 13 seasons isn't long enough? That's a pretty long career by most pro athletes standards. 2 NCAA championships, a gold medal and 11 NBA championships... just insane.

PS. Jordan played 13 seasons in Chicago (then tacked on those 2 sub par years in Washington).

11. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

I'll start by saying that Bill Russell was a phenomenal player and widely considered by most to be one of the top 5 or 10 players to ever play the game. Bill Simmons, ever the Boston homer, has him at #3 I believe. Whatever, he's one of the greats.

But, from what I've read, Jordan is the GOAT because of the vastly different eras. He played in a much more competitive league. During Russell's time there were 8-14 teams and teams rarely played more than two black players. Jordan dominated a much larger league ripe with talent, while only ever playing with two HOF players in their primes (Russell played with several).

Jordan also never lost in the Finals or even got pushed to a game 7

12. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is the kind of logic that prevents me from listening to sports radio. Jordan never lost in the Finals... because most of his years he didn't even get to the Finals. In 13 seasons Russell won the Finals 11 times, lost the Finals once, and lost in the quarterfinals once.

Russell won 2 NBA championships as a coach, for Pete's sake. When he was inducted into the Basketball HOF, he didn't even go, bc individuals honors are so meaningless. MJ cried.

Yes, they're different eras... but what is the point of making a "greatest of all time" argument if you're simply going to dismiss players with better resumes because they played against white people instead of black people? Is playing against white people worth a handicap of 1 extra championship for MJ? 2? (Apparently it's worth 5.)

Just say Russell was the greatest of his era, and MJ was the greatest of his era, and you'd have no complaints from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. cyptomcat

cyptomcat PostBot Staff Member

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It was weird how Gurley was mostly sidelined.

14. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    He's still not fully healthy I guess.

15. cyptomcat

cyptomcat PostBot Staff Member

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech

• Like Like x 1
  16. georgiatech22

georgiatech22 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Far Far Away
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  17. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
  18. georgiatech22

georgiatech22 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Far Far Away
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    As Pro Football Talk noted in Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1 of the NFL rule book: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Also, according to Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3, the league commissioner has authority to reverse a game result or reschedule a game, "either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01...ts-rams-rematch-but-can-it-really-happen.html

19. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

• Like Like x 2
  20. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Same. I'll hate the Saints whether they're 16-0 or 0-16. 10 years from now when the Patriots are probably irrelevant again, I won't care about them at all.

I kinda have a "Who cares?" mentality when it comes to the Patriots. I want them to lose, but it's like with Alabama right now. They've won so many championships that one more won't really faze me.