NFL Conference Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by Jacketblind, Jan 20, 2019.

1. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Gurley did everything he could to lose that game for the Rams.

2. BeeStorm

BeeStorm The Dark Side of the Force Staff Member

Loc:
    Not Conyers
    Team:
    GT
  3. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

You're simplifying the "different eras" argument into "no black athletes" but there is so much more than that. The number of teams being a major one. Jordan played in a league with 30 teams. Russell's NBA had 8-15 teams. Jordan's NBA featured a lot of international players. Russell's didn't.

So you've got Russell competing in a league with half the number of teams, very few black athletes, and almost zero international guys. In an era where the Celtics had a huge monopoly on talented players.

Also Russell wasn't a complete player like MJ who won offensive and defensive awards. Russell was mostly a defensive powerhouse, and OK on offense. Advanced stats back this up

• Like Like x 1
  4. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    What you call oversimplification I call synecdoche.

You didn't address the most important point: if you're going to make a 'greatest of all time' argument, you have to be willing to accept that different eras can be compared. And what you're saying is that they can't be compared. So you shouldn't be making a GOAT argument.

Of course, what's weird about this is that I don't care about Russell or pro basketball at all. It's just the principle of the thing.

5. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

I'm not saying that at all. You absolutely can compare them. But part of that comparison has to be discounting Russells impact because the league was much less competitive.

6. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    OK. Then I think Russell should get a 25% discount. Which still makes him 50% more successful than MJ. QED.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Lame. Dude won 11 of 13 championships in the Pros. IIUC the two years they didn't win he was injured. He led a no-name college to two college championships. Won two high school championships also. I suppose in every case we can make excuses about how his teams were always loaded and the other teams were obviously inferior?

The guy barely knew what it was like to end the season with a loss.

Having said that, GOAT shouldnt be like the Heismann where it has nearly devolved into the best player on the best team.

Personally I dont feel confident saying Jordan is better. He was the best I ever saw, but I just dont see how anyone can be confident saying he is better than a guy who was so successful on a level that Jordan could only dream of.

Here is the other lame thing. Fewer teams is used as an argument against Russell? Usually more teams is considered to dilute the talent making it easier for the top players not harder.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Excellent point.

Also... let me just say it again... but Russell won 2 more championships as HC of the Celtics! I realize that has nothing to do with his ability as a player, but holy cow.

9. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

Robert Horry has more rings than MJ, therefore he is better. That's your argument.

10. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No, the reason Horry is better is because the league expanded after MJ retired and while Horry was still playing. So his 7 rings are more like 8, on an adjusted basis. As best I can figure.

Yes, I'm trolling.

11. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bill Russell fails the eye test. That's why he is not considered the GOAT. People look at clips of the NBA back then and it looks like a high school game today.

12. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

It was

13. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    I specifically said GOAT is not a team award and shouldn't be. But I don't know how one can poke holes in Russell's resume. The objective of basketball is to win games. The objective is not to score points. The objective is to win games. It is difficult to argue that any basketball player in the history of the game was better at winning games.

Let me ask you, what is the greatest basketball team of all time? College? Pros? Its the 81-82 Denver Nuggets, right?

14. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That is such a very dwag thing to do. They did it after the last two Alabama games. You can analyze every game and find several missed calls. I know you're just using Rams tweets, but it just reminded me of the crybabies.

I once was told by a really wise coach after we had lost a game after a questionable call, "guys, we didn't lose the game because of that one call - we lost it because we didn't play the rest of the game well enough to win despite that call." If the Saints would have played the rest of the game better, they would have never had to worry about that call. So, piss on em.

15. vapspwi

vapspwi Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA
    Saints fans are apparently super salty. There’s a digital billboard on the Connector with a black and gold fleur-du-lis background and the message “Roger Goodell Knew Dat!”

öööö the Saints.

JRjr

16. cyptomcat

cyptomcat PostBot Staff Member

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  17. cyptomcat

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  18. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
  19. cyptomcat

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We are talking about some very cheap linemen here!

• Like Like x 1