NIU MAC Champions

Collins can say he made a team better in 2021. Unfortunately it was the NIU Huskies. I have to believe the confidence gained in the opener helped instill belief that served them well. Went from worst to first.

Select Quotes:

“After the first couple drives, I said, ‘Let’s get in ‘22’ and see who’s the tougher team,’ ” Hammock said Saturday night following the Huskies’ 22-21 upset win over the Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium. “We wanted to be physical and get after them and keep our defense off the field.”

"After the game, coach Geoff Collins said that Northern Illinois used a “unique package” on its first two touchdown drives. The 22 package would be it, instrumental in the Huskies’ 22-point production. Hammock said that the offense used it more against Tech on Saturday than it had in all of its six games last season combined."

"Even more, the Huskies employed some subterfuge in springing it. The offense huddled tight before the first play of the first scoring drive, making it more difficult to identify the personnel grouping, and then hurried to the line for a quick snap, springing running back Harrison Waylee for a nine-yard gain. Tech defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker responded by removing a defensive back from his base 4-2-5 defense (four down linemen, two linebackers, five defensive backs) and adding a linebacker to counter Northern Illinois’ beefy lineup."

After reading this our defensive coaches are bad real bad. you come out with 2 tight ends 2 running backs and your head coach defensive coordinator and all the other coaches can't make an adjustment all game. And all the Head coach can say is they use a unique formation. I would think this is a formation you would see on inside the 10. And then on the last drive to have miscommunication not once but multiple times . I guess if we had not wasted timeouts we would call one and talk to the defense.

Well fwiw watching that game you could tell they weren’t the worst team in their league for sure.. whatever the did last year had no barring

Well fwiw watching that game you could tell they weren’t the worst team in their league for sure.. whatever the did last year had no barring
Once again: Nobody on this board was saying this at the time, or through the rest of the season. Fire-ass takes on the NIU loss ranged between "Citadel Part II" and treating NIU as clear bottom-feeder in the MAC.

I don't even care, because your post is quintessential StingTalk bullshit and I can't even remember if I submitted the post I typed earlier in the season predicting exactly what you just did. But what you just did is one of the most obnoxious things in sports fandom: pretending, long after the fact, that something was obvious when it wasn't, or at least not obvious enough to be noticed by anyone on this ööööing board. People öööö all over NIU all season as a means of ööööting on Tech or Collins or both. Don't pretend anyone treated that loss or that team with the slightest pinch of respect because that's a ööööing lie.

Once again: Nobody on this board was saying this at the time, or through the rest of the season. Fire-ass takes on the NIU loss ranged between "Citadel Part II" and treating NIU as clear bottom-feeder in the MAC.

I don't even care, because your post is quintessential StingTalk bullshit and I can't even remember if I submitted the post I typed earlier in the season predicting exactly what you just did. But what you just did is one of the most obnoxious things in sports fandom: pretending, long after the fact, that something was obvious when it wasn't, or at least not obvious enough to be noticed by anyone on this ööööing board. People öööö all over NIU all season as a means of ööööting on Tech or Collins or both. Don't pretend anyone treated that loss or that team with the slightest pinch of respect because that's a ööööing lie.

I don’t care if they won the Super Bowl, it’s still ööööing embarrassing to lose to a directional school you can’t find on a map. At home. In the first game of “WIN21.” After paying them $1M to whip your ass. And get outcoached and called out for being soft by their coach.

I mean, I’ve been on the “but we beat Gardner Webb with our third string QB” and “MTSU wasn’t that bad” trains in the past. But NIU? C’mon, man.

JRjr

I don’t care if they won the Super Bowl, it’s still ööööing embarrassing to lose to a directional school you can’t find on a map. At home. In the first game of “WIN21.” After paying them $1M to whip your ass. And get outcoached and called out for being soft by their coach.

I mean, I’ve been on the “but we beat Gardner Webb with our third string QB” and “MTSU wasn’t that bad” trains in the past. But NIU? C’mon, man.

JRjr
Way to completely miss the point of my post. But twisting it back into yet another Tech-deprecating post is sure to net you some likes, so öööö it, I'm sure you're right in an entirely-unrelated-to-what-I-said kind of way.

It was obvious to me ööööhead.. I didn’t disparage the team for losing to NIU, I called them lazy and looked uninterested.. and giving up the whole field for an 8 point win should be disappointing against even bama.. I thought they were a pretty decent team watching that game at the time .. like I said. I don’t speak for the site’s views

Last edited:
Way to completely miss the point of my post. But twisting it back into yet another Tech-deprecating post is sure to net you some likes, so öööö it, I'm sure you're right in an entirely-unrelated-to-what-I-said kind of way.

I don’t think it entirely misses the point, if the point is that people are retroactively saying that they knew the NIU loss was a “good” loss all along. I’m saying that it’s BS to revise history like that, not because most people didn’t think they were any good but because given the circumstances it’s still an embarrassing loss if they were the ‘85 Bears in disguise.

JRjr

Last edited:

From the week after the loss.
We won’t lose on Saturday. Who knows how Northern Illinois was impacted by COVID. They’re usually a pretty good MAC team. KSU is not to their level in the slightest. Usually the team puts together a max focus/effort type game after one like this under Collins (another sign of his lack of mature leadership in my opinion)

Back