Not one to post UGA news usually. Check this out. RE: Scranton.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
We've discussed Scarnton before here in chats. Found this interesting. The article talks about enjuries to key players and then Mr. Scranton.

Link....ajc.com/uga

This was posted on the Hive by Troutbum!

Kickboxing. KICKBOXING?????

pat.gif

Well, I wish the young man well, but thank god he did renege on his commitment to us.

Are we talking Thai kickboxing or French kickboxing "le savate". Professional kickboxing?!

Those people never cease to amaze me!

That is interesting on Scranton. He went from a TECH lean to an Arkansas lean to a last minute signee for UGag. I really thought he would turn out to be a good one.

That is freaking hillarious! We saw him play for Buford in the A playoffs against Terron Pullon and Johnson County. He looked better than Terron that evening, IMHO
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Wow, the news about Scranton just blows my mind. So much potential. Seems the dude has a tude. Arkansas was probably a good choice after all...

Has anyone noticed that the linked article above has changed since I posted it? At first it just said that Scranton is dropping football to go into professional kickboxing. Now it goes on to tell story of him and his swords. There is more to the Foster story as well. Sounds like Scranton is burned out on football before his career even got started. Talks about how he's given it his all for 5 years. WOW, what a story.

law_bee, need a ruling on Scranton. Since he reported to camp (or thru signing letter) did Scranton automatically fall into the 1 year transfer wait rule? Is there any chance he could move without losing the year (besides going 1-AA, II or III).

Any other wannabe lawmakers, scribes or Pharisees wanna try to answer?

Very thankful the Foster youngster not hurt worse. This reminds me, does anyone have news on the Jordan (?) kid who got sick towards the end of last year?

My guess is that it wasnt as much a kick boxing thing.... maybe he just wasnt that impressed with what he found in Athens....I have a feeling he will resurface somewhere... probably next summer... there was a similar situation with another school last week, I cant remember the school, but the NCAA allowed the student to transfer without sitting out a year...

In Goldtimer's daily buzz news there is another article about this situation. Seems that he was debating this all summer. Sounds like he decided to report, but that wasn't an easy decision. One day of practice and that was pretty much it. Richt knew of the situation, but thought it was just a phase. When he had a good practice on Friday coach thought it had past.

Too many people are giving this kid a pass on whathe has done. I am a gun buff [I made expert in the army] but I never took a gun to my dorm room. This was downright stupid. I have all kinds of guns in my home that I treasure but for the most part they stay here. I am sad to read about this kid making such terrible decisions. He seems to need help and I hope he gets it. This is really sad.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Too many people are giving this kid a pass on whathe has done. I am a gun buff [I made expert in the army] but I never took a gun to my dorm room. This was downright stupid. I have all kinds of guns in my home that I treasure but for the most part they stay here. I am sad to read about this kid making such terrible decisions. He seems to need help and I hope he gets it. This is really sad.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are 100% correct Buck. I think people do not think sometimes why we have certain rules. For people who have never lived in a dorm they may not understand.

Dorm life is very communal. You share bathroom, tv rooms, and eating halls. I am SURE they explained the DO'S AND DONT'S to this young man.

When you have the opportunity to attend a U on Scholarship it is a wonderful gift. Thousands of kids strive for this honor. However there are rules and these must be obeyed.

If as reported he was arrested and charged with a felony it is a VERY serious matter.

Who knows it may be dropped, but I believe they are getting ready to start another felony trial in athens with 3 student-athletes as defendants. I seem to remember that case was no big deal either.

Well I sincerely hope GT never has to endure a student athlete standing trial on felony charges.

lb,
The felony charge against Scranton for bringing a decorative sword to decorate his dorm room is ridiculous and will be dropped. And you are ridiculous to make such a big deal out of such a minor thing. The idiots that found it should have told him it was not allowed and let him take it home. Simple as that....arresting him for a felony is as stupid as suspending an 8 year old for bringing a small plastic knife to school to cut her birthday cake. Just something silly for you lawyers to do.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
Just something silly for you lawyers to do.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Uh-oh, thats gonna leave a mark!!!

"I didn't think of it being on school property," said Scranton, who was told the charge may be dropped "I should have. It was pretty stupid on my part." --- Macon Telegraph

Seem to be really soft peddling the whole episode as time goes on. But I agree it was blown way out of proportion and should have been handled differently.

I still think he will be back at UGAg by September. A career in kickboxing. Can you have a career in kickboxing outside of Asia?

here's link if you want to read more...
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/3805180.htm

Originally posted by beeware:
lb,
Just something silly for you lawyers to do.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is YOUR legislature that makes the laws. I guess you could say that some of the legislature are lawyers, but very few were criminal lawyers.

In fact most criminal lawyers think the GA laws suck.

Bware you keep hacking on the lawyers. It is the politicians that make the laws.

Do you know having a fake I.D. in your wallet (something MOST IF NOT ALL of us had) is a 10 year felony. I have seen people go to prison for that offense (now it is true that had bad records).

Now whether this sword looks like something bought at Toys R Us or something used in braveheart I dont think anyone here knows.

I prefer to take a WAIT AND SEE approach. However I believe what we do know is the young man was arrested and charged with a felony.

Hey wannabe lawbee, your "legal analysis" of the Scranton situation as being "very serious" is a joke. The case will either get dismissed or at worst he'll get first offender probation in which event the conviction will be removed from his record once the probation is over with, but he's not going to spend any time in jail over this.

The fact that the judge gave him a personal recognizance bond shows how not serious this charge is. Your comparison of this to rape charges is further proof of your out of touch analysis.

My question to you is: are you a true lawbee (GT grad with a law degree), or are you just a season ticket holder with a JD? My guess is the latter b/c all the GT grads I knew in law school were sharp as tacs. I'll bet you went to Ga. Southern and John Marshall law. Please don't tell me you went to UGA law b/c if you did you're just reaffirming the false notion of weak academics at UGA to which so many on this board seem to subscribe.

Also, nice dodge on the question about Scranton's eligibility. If you don't know the answer, just fess up to it. Just b/c you have a JD doesn't mean you're up to date on the finer points of NCAA eligibility regulations. It's okay to admit your ignorance rather than trying to maintain the farce that you know everything.

Back