not trying to flame, but

94Dawg

Varsity Lurker
Are all of you happing with the coaching staff turnover? Patrick Nix as a recruiting coordinator??? That floored me. It seems like y'all are doing a complete rebuild, even though you were in a highpoint of the last 30 years....
Just curious as to what the 'first impressions' were....

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Not worried in the least. Nix will do fine. A new coach almost always brings about massive staff turnover.

jimbobGT

Varsity Lurker
I don't think anyone is happy about it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. O'leary left and now we have a new coach. He wants his own DC so Ted Roof got demoted (honestly, he had some problems at D, so he could use a mentor). But Roof doesn't like the fact that he has to take a paycut, so he heads off to Duke. I'm not sure how much success he can have at Duke, but I wish him all the luck in the world.

About O'brien...Vikings have rocks for brains. Why on earth would they want a college OC with one year of experience?!? While those NFL guys have deep pockets, they are nuts. About recruiting...we'll see...different recruiters have different connections. As long as he can get the athletes here, we'll be fine.

It all sucks right now, but it could be worse. It all depends on the quality of the people Gailey brings in. We have to give the guy a shot before we start criticizing his work. We haven't played a game yet, hard to judge anything right now.

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Welcome 94Dawg, glad to have a dog on board. Woof! Woof!

Personally, I think we have just stepped it up a notch. I have plenty of Georgia friends and the last thing they wanted was for O'leary to leave Tech. They were all happy when Fridge left us.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 94Dawg:
Are all of you happing with the coaching staff turnover? Patrick Nix as a recruiting coordinator??? That floored me. It seems like y'all are doing a complete rebuild, even though you were in a highpoint of the last 30 years....
Just curious as to what the 'first impressions' were....
<hr></blockquote>

what was your thinking when you hired Bobo? I have complete trust in CG. CG is probably the best coach we have had at GT since Bobby Ross only time will tell for sure.

My understanding is that CG has many candidates to choose from and if he wants the guy then that is good enough for me.

Because of CG's experience as Dallas's HC and being OC at Pit, and Miami that give us a lot of latitude b/c he will be able to handle some things himself.

30 years? we took home the sears trophy in 1990.

Axe

Flats Noob
I'm very excited about Nix coming on board. He is 29 years old and has good connections in the south. We've got a lot of guys on the staff already that could be recruiting coordinators. Nix is getting the gig because Chan things he has a lot of potential. I know there are plenty of Dawg fans that feel Bobo might be your best recruiter right now.

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
I'm happy. I think GOL had peaked at Tech, though I'm glad we had him. I think he made Tech a player in big-time recruiting.
Chances are CG, with his Southern roots, his focus, and what appears to be a personal generosity and "at-ease-ness" with himself, can take Tech to the next level. To my mind, as I've said here before, that includes dominating uga as we did in the '50s.
Nor do I have any fear but that he'll get an excellent staff together , and I wonder if he's thinking of Penn State as a model, where assistants spend careers. He seems like the sort of HC who could pull that off.

Goldenbird

Varsity Lurker
If I remember correctly, didn't UGA only retain one assistant when MR came in last year? High turnover among assistants is normal when the HC changes. In fact, it usually continues for 2 or 3 years as the new HC "settles in", finds some assistants sub-par, finds opportunities to "upgrade" with better assistants, etc. The truth is no new HC is able to get all the exact coaches he wants the first year simply because they just are not available or are in a situation where they can or want to move.

94Dawg

Varsity Lurker
Fair enough. I predict with all of that turnover, though, you'll take steps back before you take steps forward. But time will tell. (As far as the misguided Bobo analogies, he's not our recruiting coordinator, and he has built-in loyalty - so don't see the comparison myself)

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Just curious as to what the 'first impressions' were

Thanks for the post Dawg... I am also glad to have some Ga fans join the board... from my perspective, I am thrilled that we are having the coaching turnover... I personally feel that we needed a change... the lack of cohesion among the coaches showed more this year than any before.. the turnover seemed to do you all well last year, and I believe you will see the same at Tech.. wont know alot until they begin preparing for next year, but I do think alot of people are going to be surprised with the Tech squad of 2002.

Buzzfalcon

Zod-Like
I went to Northside HS in Warner Robins where Patrick Nix's dad Conrad is the head FB coach. I have met Patrick on several occasions, and he struck me as a very well spoken, down-to-earth guy with alot of passion for football. I think its a great addition.

Buzzfalcon

Zod-Like
I went to Northside HS in Warner Robins where Patrick Nix's dad Conrad is the head FB coach. I have met Patrick on several occasions, and he struck me as a very well spoken, down-to-earth guy with alot of passion for football. I think its a great addition.

MacDaddy

Varsity Lurker
I hate to say it but I agree with the sentiments of 94Dawg. I get a sense that the program is a bit out of control. Lets see who wants to go and who wants to stay but PLEASE make O'LIAR pay the $1.5M