Nothing to talk about...(long)

BB Bee

Varsity Lurker
I was a pretty early member of the Hive family and have followed this board since its beginning. I do not post much but I view a lot. I have to say that I can not ever remember a January with ACC season kicking off in basketball and football recruiting in full bore where people who love GT have had less to talk about. I don’t remember fewer posts (especially on fewer topics) at this time of year.

Last night I was sitting in a half full AMC for another patsy OOC game against an Ivy League opponent (not the OOC quality teams that most of us remember building our program around in the early 80's). Next year we have a great home football schedule and more seats (although there are fewer good seats) to fill than in years past.

I know I'm rambling but I guess this is my point. The bunker mentality that the AA seems to have (not talking to anyone about anything) is draining the enthusiasm of the people who love and support GT the most. With all of the new seats and the great schedules coming up we need people to be talking about Georgia Tech football, basketball, recruiting...whatever sport or event, it doesn't matter as long as they are talking about Georgia Tech. Publicity is a "good" thing. We all want to support our school and our athletic department and what they are doing but that is impossible if we don't know what they're doing. Sure some of us may question their actions but that doesn't mean we’re not being supportive it only means that some have a different opinion of how our program that we are all passionate about will achieve its potential.

My fear is that this silence is a sign that some of those in the AA do not appreciate or understand the passion that we have. The amount of information put out announcing and leading up to the bowl game was embarrassing. This could also be a result of or an explanation for what happens when you fire your SID. If they let the media get their hands on any negative information they get in trouble so they don’t release anything. You hire coaches that lied on their resume. Fire the SID. Maybe this year after a poor football showing in the last two games we’ll fire our NCAA compliance people.

Again, I know I’m rambling and much of this doesn’t make since which is one reason that I don’t post a lot but there is so much that is frustrating me right now about our athletic department that it is hard to say it all in one post.

Agreed.

Dave Braine's lack of leadership is draining the life from our Athletic Department. It is time for this guy to go. I run in a pretty diverse group of Tech alumni, new graduates to long time donors and haven't heard one positive thing about Braine. Everyone tells the same story when talking about meeting with or dealing with Braine. But unless he is forced out, Braine will be riding this gravy train to retirement.

drinking.gif
Beat the Pack!

Teambuzz, I don't agree. Hear what you're saying. Do think we've got some problems with public relations. There are a lot of Braine supporters out their. I'm one of them. People I run around with have a lot of positive things to say about Braine and the job he's done. Look at the overall picture of our Athletics.

BB Bee makes some super good points. I hear his frustration. There are a lot of negative talk which is probably warrented by the lack of publicity or info we hear from the GTAA. We've got work to do. The GTAA has work to do. What are we going to do about? What needs to take place? What steps need to be taken to see that we move forward? I'm speaking about spacifics. Crying over the way things are isn't going to help any situation.

I don't get into bashing any particular person at GTAA or any Coach. IMHO they all have done good and some bad for GT. THe ticket office is another matter. They have always been bad, and caused nothing but problems for me.

That being said... I do agree about the Bunker Mentality to an extent. The parking fiasco is a great example (which turned out to not be such a big deal). No one knew it was coming, and it was sprung on everyone 30 days before the football season began. That was ridiculous.

I think there have been many times GTAA could have done a LOT better in the communications department, and they could do a better job of listening. Just my two cents.

Prediction Time!...We are getting 12,000 to 15,000 new seats. I bet GTAA makes NO promotional blitz for new season ticket buyers, outside of those lame AJC sport section ads.
Any takers?
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Prediction Time!...We are getting 12,000 to 15,000 new seats. I bet GTAA makes NO promotional blitz for new season ticket buyers, outside of those lame AJC sport section ads.
Any takers?
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There is always the Costco route!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Any takers?
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hear that GTAA has hired an outside firm to handle ticket marketing.

Back