Notional 2021 Football Schedule

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
As things currently stand, here's our 2021 football schedule as reported here:

9/4 NIU (looks like first meeting; they were 0-6 in 2020)
9/11 Kennesaw State (first meeting; 2020 season postponed to spring 2021)
TBD @ Clemson
TBD @ Duke
TBD @ Miami (third year in a row @ Miami)
TBD @ UVA
TBD Boston College
TBD UNC
TBD Pitt (third year in a row with Pitt at home)
TBD VPI
11/20 @ Notre Dame
11/27 U[sic]GA

Interestingly, it appears that KSU is playing a 6 game schedule this spring (Shorter, Charleston Southern, Dixie State, @ Gardner-Webb, Robert Morris, @ Monmouth). That'll be weird and maybe fun. I'd drive up to Kennesaw or Boiling Springs, NC to watch some February/March football given the opportunity.

Looks like the assumption is that we will resume the home/away rotations as if 2020 went off as originally scheduled, which is mostly not controversial. In 2020, other than Pitt and Miami, we played our regular opponents where we would have played them anyway (Clemson, Duke) or didn't play them at all (UVA, UNC, VPI, U[sic]GA).

I like opening with a couple of lesser opponents, but I'm less enthused about a) playing a good team before U[sic]GA, b) ending the season against two of the three toughest teams on our schedule, and c) traveling to South Bend in late November (assuming things get back to normal so it's feasible to go to road games again).

Assuming travel to road games, that's not a terrible slate from a fan/travel perspective. Clemson's an easy trip other than the traffic after the game. Duke is a pretty easy driving game and I have a friend in Charlotte. Miami is a flying game - would try to turn that into a mini vacation and go visit Dry Tortugas or something. UVA is probably a flying game, but I always enjoy visiting that part of the country in the fall. Notre Dame is a flying game, and there's not much to recommend that trip other than the fact that I've got friends in Indianapolis that I might be able to visit.

JRjr

Last edited:
Without factoring in the jump in our performance that I expect this year, and based on the opponents' 2020 performance, my off the cuff assessment is thus:

Wins: NIU, KSU, Duke
Losses: U[sic]GA, Clemson, Notre Dame, UNC, Miami
Tossups: UVA, BC, Pitt, VPI

Looks like somewhere between 3-9 and 7-5 to me, as usual. :-)

JRjr

Notional? Did you get one of those vocabulary word of the day calendars for Christmas or something?

I know lots of words. (As discussed in the Season Ticket Renewal thread, there's probably still some chance of a reshuffling a la 2020 depending on how things shake out this year. Hence, "notional.")

JRjr

9/4 NIU (looks like first meeting; they were 0-6 in 2020)
9/11 Kennesaw State (first meeting; 2020 season postponed to spring 2021)
TBD @ Clemson
TBD @ Duke
TBD @ Miami (third year in a row @ Miami)
TBD @ UVA
TBD Boston College
TBD UNC
TBD Pitt (third year in a row with Pitt at home)
TBD VPI
11/20 @ Notre Dame
11/27 U[sic]GA

JRjr

Screw them. We just won't play them three years in a row.

Screw them. We just won't play them three years in a row.

As a fan, I hate playing at Miami. It's miserable. I was there in 2019 and I'll be there in 2021 if I can, but I didn't travel for the 2020 game, so it's really no impact on me. I dunno how it is for the team. It doesn't seem like a hard place to play (small crowds, presumably decent facilities since it's an NFL stadium, I assume flying to Miami is preferable to a long bus ride somewhere), so I guess it doesn't really matter. I assume every team has some kind of weird schedule thing to complain about (like Pitt having to come to Atlanta 3 times in a row). At least we didn't draw @Clemson three times in a row. :-)

JRjr

we don’t take kindly to notional anything round these parts. You’d better be talking about a solidly grounded fact-based schedule or you can just skedaddle.

I know lots of words. (As discussed in the Season Ticket Renewal thread, there's probably still some chance of a reshuffling a la 2020 depending on how things shake out this year. Hence, "notional.")

JRjr
I first clicked on this thread to make a snarky post about you misspelling "national." Joke was on me. :bigthumbup:

Without factoring in the jump in our performance that I expect this year, and based on the opponents' 2020 performance, my off the cuff assessment is thus:

Wins: NIU, KSU, Duke
Losses: U[sic]GA, Clemson, Notre Dame, UNC, Miami
Tossups: UVA, BC, Pitt, VPI

Looks like somewhere between 3-9 and 7-5 to me, as usual. :-)

JRjr

If we’re going strictly off 2020 I don’t know how we include BC in the toss ups. They spanked us. But factoring in 2021 rosters I’d go:

Wins: NIU, KSU
Likely Wins: @Duke, VPI
Toss Up: @Miami, BC, Pitt, @UVA
Likely Losses: @ND, UNC
Losses: @Clemson, uga

So anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4. 6-6 most likely, but I’ll go 7-5 as a homer.

Looks like 4& 8 or 5&7 perhaps 6 & 6. I am hoping for better but let's wait until we play a couple of games & we could revise expectations.

As a fan, I hate playing at Miami. It's miserable. I was there in 2019 and I'll be there in 2021 if I can, but I didn't travel for the 2020 game, so it's really no impact on me. I dunno how it is for the team. It doesn't seem like a hard place to play (small crowds, presumably decent facilities since it's an NFL stadium, I assume flying to Miami is preferable to a long bus ride somewhere), so I guess it doesn't really matter. I assume every team has some kind of weird schedule thing to complain about (like Pitt having to come to Atlanta 3 times in a row). At least we didn't draw @Clemson three times in a row. :-)

JRjr
So why do you hate playing at Miami?

Back