Now, I'm not the brightest man in the world

ThomsonJacket

I don't know
Now, I\'m not the brightest man in the world

but, someone explain to me how Chan is responsible
for these young men not makeing their grades? They have advisors or tutors right? So, I guess Chan is supposed to coach them in football and teach their classes as well? Come on stop looking for a scape goat and let the blame fall where it belongs! On the young men who did not take their studies seriously enuff!
drinking.gif

Re: Now, I\'m not the brightest man in the world

True enough but if you're job is essentially to win football games you have a vested interest in seeing that these young men keep up with their studies. Chan & Co supposedly spend long hours on the recruiting trail which is all for nought if Johnny flunks out. CGs not to blame but he does share in the responsibility.

Thomson, I agree with you... I am amazed at some of the logic I read in some of the other threads... some calling for the head of the coach etc..

following that logic, lets see... those invovled with a SA at Tech include Advisors, Coaches, Profs, Tutors, Parents...

so when a kid flunks out the coach should be fired, advisors should be fired, certainly the Profs should be fired, and the parents should give the kid up for adoption.... after all.. they all have a responsibility in the success of the SA... they all have a vested interest, the prof needs kids to pass for job security.. so does the coach.. etc..

I never made an F in school, but did make a few D's along the way... I only remember my Dad telling me if I didnt buckle down he was going to kick my A$$... it was my responsibility... period!

I also agree, Thomson. In the organizational chart view of life, any number of people can be blamed; but when a qualified student fails a course, you have to look to the student for an explanation.

Agree it's the students ultimate responsibility. If he/she is in trouble he/she is the one to go to coaches and tell them so he can get the extra help he/she may need.

I agree with all of these posts. JacketGuy, you are right, about the parents sharing in the responsibility.

In actuality, they have put them up for adoption financially. The parents will have to take them back and bear the financial burden of an education if the student loses his athletic scholarship.

The parents do have as much responsibility as the others as you have mentioned.

smile.gif

So, it's all the players fault? Well, let's stop posting the criticism of programs where players are arrested for burglary, theft and rape, after all, the coaching staff is simply responsible for the x's and o's - not anything off the field. And even if you buy that philosophy we ain't doing to go at that either. Sure, the players have to put out, but some of your own posts have talked about the SYSTEM that is most important, and that comes from the people at the top. Alot of us are wondering just when the free passes this crowed - Braine and Gailey - will continue to get. On the field we went backwards and now off the field, which used to never be an issue, it is now acceptable to take a pro-style, hands off approach as well. Since the players are responsible for everything off the field, let's let them do as they please in off-season workouts, continue to slack in their study habits and generally run the ship. Whatever happened to challenging kids to do their best and take pride in being a part of something important?

Now I get it Father Wasp, your problem with life is that you can neither read nor think, you can only blame.

And you can do none of the above either from what I can tell - you probably sat beside Gailey in class and are reluctant to place "blame" anywhere - it's too painful to admit accountability for being paid a million bucks to produce.

Father Wasp, it is ultimately the students fault if he does not pass.

Yes, as stated in umpteen posts on Stingtalk, the coaches, administrators, tutors, parents, etc, all have a vested interest in their passing or failing. But, in the end, it is still the students who must put forth the effort and pass.

You, on the other hand, want to give the students a free pass and go right to the coach and fire him. Others are trying to be reasonable and find the right approach to correct the problem.

You should quit beating around the bush and state your objective, which is plain to all on the board. I will state it for you: I wanted Mac as head coach, I wanted BOB to remain as the OC, I have never wanted Gailey from the beginning, and I will do everything I can to bring down the program until he is fired".

There, I have said it for you and your buddies. All you have to do is sign off on it.

You might as well sign off on it, it is as clear as clean glass.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yes, the soldier is the one that ultimately gets shot, but when officers give bad advice, and send them to hostile territory, they sometimes get ambushed. Also, some of our own "fragged" our soldiers.

I once had some friends who talked another Tech IM student into taking DefBods as an elective because they knew the TA. We was blown up beyond recognition. We still get a laugh 30 years after the fact, but it was no laughing matter then. This is basically what the current administration did to our soldiers.

Aho, for someone who is always claiming to stick to the facts, I invite you to go back, find ONE post where I was an advocate of hiring McWhorter or retaining O'Brien.

I will say now that you've brought the topic up McWhorter would have been a far better leader than what we have now.

That, however, is over.

Demanding some accountability and excellence is a whole lot more loyal than fluffing over and covering up the continued episodes this saga continues to unfold.

My first thought when I heard about flunk-gate was what I imagined CG's response was- "gee,this wasn't a problem with my last team".

Back